SIA's latest offer in A380-pilot wage dispute rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not start a thread and compare our own pay, whatever pay others get won't give a cent to our pocket.

Actually I find SIA pilots already being paid a sh*t load of money compared to pilots of other airlines. So what the heck are they complaining for. Alpa-S really has too much free time on their hands to kick up a ruckus every now and then about pay.

Really? $10,000 a month doesn't really seem much for a pilot with a major airline

no more talk about pay!! :(

sick and tired of this :(

how come no one talk about how much EPL players are earning? they are paid much much higher than anyone.. :dunno:
because they really WORK IT OUT for their money

crap,could i propose photographers should convert all your cameras to Large Format and charge $1000 -$2500 an hour for photography services, Medium Format $500 - $1500, Small Format (35mm) $200- $1000 and Compact cameraman $5- $350 per hour.

It will benefit 80% of the photographer with this new ruling!;)
U had just thoroughly convinced me the merits of getting a MamiyaZD, Hassy H3D+39 and a Ebony. :thumbsup:

Right, mai tu liaoz. Time to up my charges 500%.

which airlines are you comparing it to?

Actually I find SIA pilots already being paid a sh*t load of money compared to pilots of other airlines. So what the heck are they complaining for. Alpa-S really has too much free time on their hands to kick up a ruckus every now and then about pay.

I heard there is a distinction between a local pilot and an expat pilot. The expat pilots are driving the average up up up.

The most junior Captain of a Boeing 777 in Emirates Airlines takes home DHS36 000 a month, excluding bonuses, housing and education for his children. Cathay Pacific pilots, who earns more than their SIA counterparts, even get an MC hourly allowance when they call in sick. The comparisons made against SIA pilots in the press are usually against the likes of Malaysian Airlines, Thai Airways and Garuda. In which league and size is SIA? :think:

The most junior Captain of a Boeing 777 in Emirates Airlines takes home DHS36 000 a month, excluding bonuses, housing and education for his children. Cathay Pacific pilots, who earns more than their SIA counterparts, even get an MC hourly allowance when they call in sick. The comparisons made against SIA pilots in the press are usually against the likes of Malaysian Airlines, Thai Airways and Garuda. In which league and size is SIA? :think:

SIA has distinguished itself as a top-class sort of brand, having disgruntled pilots cannot bode well for its image.

crap,could i propose photographers should convert all your cameras to Large Format and charge $1000 -$2500 an hour for photography services, Medium Format $500 - $1500, Small Format (35mm) $200- $1000 and Compact cameraman $5- $350 per hour.

It will benefit 80% of the photographer with this new ruling!;)

I second that... :cheergal:

in the WORLD CLASS league.

in the WORLD CLASS league.

When will we see direct comparisons of SIA salary with British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines and Qantas? Maybe then we can truly understand the issues surrounding the pay disputes that plague SIA every so often, instead of just being presented with the greedy pilots by the local press all the time. I suppose reporting from the money-grubbing angle makes it more interesting than the industrial nitty-gritties....

I think the Straits Times is blowing this issue out of proportion. It's just the pilot's union demanding more pay in a structured manner. What's the big deal? There's no need to publish full page articles day after day on this. It's not like they have gone on strike or anything like that.

I also wasn't too impressed when I heard on 938 Live :

'SIA Pilots are among the best paid pilots in the world. This was revealed in the court case today between...'

They said it like it was already a fact! I definitely don't think so!

SIA does not pay the best, nor does it pay the worst. Those that pay the best are usually those with very strong unions. Then you will see people who are old enough to be your grandma serving you in the plane. Of course, these pilots will not leave the airline... and when they are told to go because their pay is too high, they will go on strike.

Some of these airlines will eventually lose money and close shop. SIA pilots want to be paid like these airlines because more money is better than less. I will be happy if I am paid as much as the pilots, but no union to fight for me. :p

Why can't these SIA pilots just leave and join those airlines that pay big bucks? That's because these airlines probably cannot afford to hire anymore pilots as they cost too much. Also, these airlines are probably not making that much money anyway... with rising fuel cost costs and hefty wage/salary costs.

So, let's get the union together and try to get more money. That's ok behavior... just as long as it does not get out of hand. It's not even very newsworthy... but I guess Singapore does not have much news to report anyway. If the pilots get out of hand, our MM will go destroy these 'troublemakers'. :bsmilie:

SIA does not pay the best, nor does it pay the worst. Those that pay the best are usually those with very strong unions. Then you will see people who are old enough to be your grandma serving you in the plane. Of course, these pilots will not leave the airline... and when they are told to go because their pay is too high, they will go on strike.

Some of these airlines will eventually lose money and close shop. SIA pilots want to be paid like these airlines because more money is better than less. I will be happy if I am paid as much as the pilots, but no union to fight for me. :p

Why can't these SIA pilots just leave and join those airlines that pay big bucks? That's because these airlines probably cannot afford to hire anymore pilots as they cost too much. Also, these airlines are probably not making that much money anyway... with rising fuel cost costs and hefty wage/salary costs.

So, let's get the union together and try to get more money. That's ok behavior... just as long as it does not get out of hand. It's not even very newsworthy... but I guess Singapore does not have much news to report anyway. If the pilots get out of hand, our MM will go destroy these 'troublemakers'. :bsmilie:

I'm really skeptical of how the media portrays the airline union
if I'm not wrong this is the only union that still exists in singapore apart from ahem NTUC?
Media portrays them as bad/greedy and that's the only side of the story we hear...and then people inevitably believe them to be bad/greedy

I'm really skeptical of how the media portrays the airline union
if I'm not wrong this is the only union that still exists in singapore apart from ahem NTUC?
Media portrays them as bad/greedy and that's the only side of the story we hear...and then people inevitably believe them to be bad/greedy

I think they are greedy, but they are not bad. SIA is a company with a profit motive. It will try to squeeze its employees... pay then just enough so that they don't leave, etc.. so that profit will go up, and share price will go up, and the management/board can get big bonuses and exercise their stock options.

There are many stakeholders... all greedy. Pilots are just one of them. They are just protecting their interest. Management/directors are also greedy. So they will argue from the other side.

It's just a normal negotiation. Straits Times should report it, but no need to be so drama.

Yes it may not be alot compared to Cathay, which has pilot's salary ranging from About SGD 19k and upwards. But there are alot of other factors that you got put into play here. Country's cost of living, country's average pay, country's income tax, etc.

(that being said... Emirates is probably the best. Because they don't have to pay income tax! :bsmilie:)

So considering that fact that... In addition to allowances and all, a SGD 20k/mth salary is not unimaginable, and you must not forget that SIA pays very large bonuses. You tell me that this is not alot?

Okay maybe this is just me having a very dim view of drivers of a glass cockpit. But I feel that there are a hell lot of other jobs here in SG that deserves more than what they are being paid. For example healthcare. And I'm not referring to doctors, but the people who work their arse off in the wards, the nurses.

So yeah. Be happy with your lot pilots. For I think you are not being shortchanged any. If you think you are, go fly for another airline. :bsmilie:

So yeah. Be happy with your lot pilots. For I think you are not being shortchanged any. If you think you are, go fly for another airline. :bsmilie:

You'll be surprised at the amount of company loyalty and pride the SIA pilots have. Compared to other airlines in the same class, they're being paid a fraction (i don't have hard figures, but its quite obvious if you ask around the right people). Of course if you compare to the many miscellaneous and smaller airlines, many which have dubious safety records, they're of course one of the better paid. but they don't leave cos of loyalty; the senior pilots are the ones who have been with this company right from its humble beginnings.

regardless, i'm glad to see a union actually fighting for the members it represents. in a civil and legal manner.many times we men in the street in other jobs have not much protection if anyone decides to be unfair to us. so we just guai guai listen to the higher forces and accept the change, boh pian.

Coming back to the topic on unions. I thought NTUC is a worker's union. But they are more well known for supermarkets, insurance, etc.. basically companies that are making money from the workers. I'm a little confused about why they call themselves a 'union' in the first place.

Do you all remember what happened during last round of negotaition?
Someone went into exile.:eek:
And the executor gave himself a big pay rise.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.