shutter life of nikon d300

acutally i havent changed the shutter. going at 92290.
getting a bit scary now..
why scare?
at this rate, you will still able to shoot more than a year than till it reaches 150k.

are you a professional? if you are, regardless you are using a new camera or not new camera, you will still need a back up body.

if you are not, why bother so much about shutter fails, the most just send for repair and rent a body for the time being.

acutally i havent changed the shutter. going at 92290.
getting a bit scary now..

Don't worry...my D300s last check is 236241. Still going strong hehe....

emblef said:
Don't worry...my D300s last check is 236241. Still going strong hehe....

Wah! Bro

Do you might to share the actual condition of the body and wear & tear now?

Thank you so much.

6,000 shutter count only and he desires to change his shutter? Wow. Talk about having too much money...

Blur Shadow said:
6,000 shutter count only and he desires to change his shutter? Wow. Talk about having too much money...

Ke ke worries about shutter module expiry date :)
Change early and winner be the 1st.

The rubber around has loosen previously. Went to re-wrap some rubber parts, not that expensive if i can remember.
I seldom put it on tripod so below it's ok, only some minor user markers. Now the overall condition looks quite ok to me, 8/10

Hmm....don't think it's about money lah...sometimes scary lah if camera suddenly fail. But most importantly needs to back up with another camera.
Even if you change shutter count, it will take almost 3 weeks. To me, every almost weekend i have functions to attend so i need my camera around
to take photos because i don't know where my photos will go to after taken by the official photographer hahaha only sometimes managed to see them
appearing in Prestige magazines etc...

It isn't a smart strategy, or at least a cost effective one, to change the shutter just so to ensure that the camera is problem free.

For one, the shutter is one of the many things that may go wrong.

For two, the shutter is rated at 150,000. I don't have the probability parameters with me, but let's say the photographer regularly changes his shutter every 6,000 shutter count. It is likely that he would test it out, and the shutter would work flawlessly for the first few shots. I assume that if the camera should fail during an event, the shutter count would be about 1,000?

Then mathematically speaking, you are spending good money to avoid:

P(X<6000)-P(X<1000)

It is probably wiser and cheaper to get a second camera. Your probability is significantly lower because you multiply the probabilities. (Note: each probability is way lower than 0.01%, or a failure rather of 1/10000. Multiplying them will be even lower)

P(X<6000 "intersect" Y<1000) = P(X<6000) P(Y<1000)

Even after the 10th shutter change,

P(X<66000 "intersect" Y<1000) should still be reasonably lower than P(X<6000)-P(X<1000), or the replacing shutter every 6,000 shutter count strategy.

Assumption:

- the D300 is a good camera and variance should be low.
- the backup camera has a shutter count of 1,000 at worse, since it is unused

Normally, the Shutter unit is build with some safety factor so to ensure the mechanical reliability. 150k is just a ball park figure for Nikon, normally the shutter count should exceed this figure before it kaput....

Normally, the Shutter unit is build with some safety factor so to ensure the mechanical reliability. 150k is just a ball park figure for Nikon, normally the shutter count should exceed this figure before it kaput....

Actually, Nikon said in their brochure that the shutter was tested to 150k. No more details were given. Didn't say how many were tested, and that figure could be an average figure. It could be just take one or two shutters and test it to 150k and stop there. It didn't say that it is reliable up to 150k, meaning that statistically, 95% of their shutters would exceed 150k.

For those who make a living out of it, they would always have a back-up. These days, a cheapo D3100 could be used as a back-up and can be brought along as a light and convenient camera for holidays with the family.

kcchew said:
TS should be more concerned about the sensor rather than the shutter. I borrowed my friend's 3 year old D300 with 30k shutter count and there were 3 hot pixels.

My exact sentimemts... But three pixels easy to fix with clone stamp tool if it really bothers u or affect the quality of ur paid work, it is the hassle of fixing every pic. The sensor prob went thru a lot of extended long exposure?