shutter count for FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

seora

Sep 22, 2005
wdls
hello, i'm trying to know my current shutter count on my FZ5, but i have no idea how to do it. anyone please help me? thanks in advance

_jes

this can be reset but generally, take out your SD card and insert it into your PC.
the filing system starts with folder panax00 (or something like that) and clocks from there.
once it hits 999 shots, it moves to panax01 and so on...

Actually, after doing some studies.. I realised.. There's no such thing as a shutter count for digital cameras!!! Why? There isn't a shutter on most digital cameras... There's nothing to block light from the camera sensor.. The sensor is exposed to light ALL the time (else how you get live electronic preview).. There's nothing to block the sensors unlike the dSLRs and SLRs...
They only supply power to the entire sensor when you press a shutter...

I've seen sort of shutter close and hear a click sound on my LC-33 and my firends fz-10 and 20 leh. Maybe they close it after it has been exposed for X amount of time after you press the shutter.

unseen said:
Actually, after doing some studies.. I realised.. There's no such thing as a shutter count for digital cameras!!! Why? There isn't a shutter on most digital cameras... There's nothing to block light from the camera sensor.. The sensor is exposed to light ALL the time (else how you get live electronic preview).. There's nothing to block the sensors unlike the dSLRs and SLRs...
They only supply power to the entire sensor when you press a shutter...

yes i also realise that, thats y i don care about shutter count for my fz5... can juz burst mode all the way :bsmilie:

this can be reset but generally, take out your SD card and insert it into your PC.
the filing system starts with folder panax00 (or something like that) and clocks from there.
once it hits 999 shots, it moves to panax01 and so on...

you are mixing up shutter count and file no seq... shutter count can't be reset, unless you got it replaced(not even sure this will reset it)

The "shutter sound" is generated by the camera, and not the real shutter sound. Compacts and PNS are actually silent as they use electronic shutter.

huggable said:
The "shutter sound" is generated by the camera, and not the real shutter sound. Compacts and PNS are actually silent as they use electronic shutter.

Really meh but i made my camera silent liao. I can see something moving when i press the shutter button too. Its not the apperature ring cause my LC-33 has a fixed aperature..

i didn't know that too, but i wanna know how many pictures have my camera taken.

thanks airconvent for the info.

_jes

seora said:
i didn't know that too, but i wanna know how many pictures have my camera taken.

thanks airconvent for the info.

_jes
i think the file number in you cam denotes how many you have taken. if im not wrong 1 folder = 999 pictures.

so far i already took close to 10k with my fz5..don't know how long to 10k will that be ;)

raptor84 said:
I've seen sort of shutter close and hear a click sound on my LC-33 and my firends fz-10 and 20 leh. Maybe they close it after it has been exposed for X amount of time after you press the shutter.
It's the aperture blades.. Er.. you choose F8, F3.5.. all need the aperture to close down.. IIRC, I can't rem, but i think the aperture blades actually close each time you take a photo.. LOL try take a photo of yourself with f2.8.. and with f8... you can see the aperture blades close to the required size and open up again..

yes...there is no real shutter count for digital camera.
real slr takes pictures by flipping a mechanical shutter and that is where the sound comes from. because it is mechanical, it has a lifespan.
digital camera have a simulated sound that can be turned off (i normally turn mine off!) since there are no moving parts involved in the picture taking process. the only moving part is the optical assembly for focussing and stabilisation...
but the file method used by panasonic enables you to see how many shots you have taken...

Status
Not open for further replies.