Should VR be on when using shall tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebius

Jan 4, 2008
I am planning to bring my SLIK Sprint Pro instead of my Manfrotto 190Pro for a trip this month as it is much lighter & smaller to carry. However , vibration is extremely prominent when using my Nikon 18-200VR lens especially at higher zoom range. Should I turn VR on when taking photos in ths case, I expect to have some long exposure shots of up to 2s.

why don't you try it out at home first
don't base on other people's guesses on your equipment, when you can actually try it and know first hand if it is better or not

yeah... it's SO much easier (and faster too) to test it out, rather than post on Clubsnap and ask, and wait for a reply.

why don't you try it out at home first
don't base on other people's guesses on your equipment, when you can actually try it and know first hand if it is better or not

I agreed with ortega. Try it out with and without VR and see for yourself the outcome. Although the manual recommended that VR be turned off when using with a tripod.

But I guess the result will be better with VR turn off.

Let us know the result of the test :)

Thanks.

I agreed with ortega. Try it out with and without VR and see for yourself the outcome. Although the manual recommended that VR be turned off when using with a tripod.

But I guess the result will be better with VR turn off.

Let us know the result of the test :)

Thanks.

actually it depends on how stable TS's small tripod is

actually it depends on how stable TS's small tripod is

Agreed. But don't you think the VR will create more movement due to the vibration ?

I had tried this long time ago - though not a very detail scientific one.

My finding then:

1 Long exposure, such as night shoot = no help or very minimal
2 short exp. = yes but ...

it still depends on that tripod.. (the tripod i tried was one slightly better than then nikon freebie tripod)
My conclusion is; forget about the light or cheapo tripod.. dun like the weight of tripod, a monopod is so much more convenient. Planning of long exposure = a decent tripod will be a much better bet.

But i guess that if there is minimum surrounding disturbance, the result could be better.

Add: Just recalled, about 3 mths ago at marina barrage, i used my friend cheapo tripod with 18-200 and shot across from the dam... the wording of the hotel (can't remember, was it oriental?), plus others, was not ''good''. I was on hyperfocal. - could be due to my fault also..

Last edited:
Bros , have tested it , my findings are :

The image quality appears to be the same under the following scenarios :

a) VR on : Shutter release using timer/remote cord
b) VR off : use timer/remote cord & Mirror Up function

Seems like the majority of the vribration comes from the shutter release when the mirror flips up & down , this is especially notable on the smaller tripod at high zoom range. However tests done indoors , probably when outdoors other sources of vibration ie Wind will have significant impact as well. Wind will have more continuous vibration compared to the mirror flip for long exposure shots, theorectically maybe VR is good in such case???

Hehe , me new in photography , got an arsenal of equipments but no experience. whats the max effective exposure duration VR can go?

My tests done using short exposures.

Bros , have tested it , my findings are :

The image quality appears to be the same under the following scenarios :

a) VR on : Shutter release using timer/remote cord
b) VR off : use timer/remote cord & Mirror Up function

Thanks for the test result :)

so I guess it all boils down to the situation you are in at that point in time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.