Should I upgrade body or change system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want to do post process, bump up the saturation and contrast in your camera setting to your liking.

I tired for a few with different setting for each picture style but was not able to get any desirable results.

Thanks, #2 is actually taken by D80, #1 is D300 & #3 is D700.

Not saying that you don't need a better camera, but currently the problem you are having is more of a handling problem. :)

Maybe that the case, that why I am learning and reading a lots books on photography.
Apart from that, been out for shooting.

Well, then i really recommend oly. You can try searching for oly without PP on flickr or oly forum.

By far, their jpeg is the best I have seen.

Thanks for the info, I will try that.

To TS,

I can understand your aversion to PP. It is indeed a pain to have to shoot in RAW and then having to PP it. But I know that there are a lot of photographers out there who PP routinely and consider PP an essential part of their workflow. I do PP too, but only for situations where I need to get the most out of my camera. These usually are low light situations. Otherwise, I always make it a point to shoot in JPEG. It is faster to transfer, faster to view thru image browser, and easier to handle generally. If u have to ask me, I think that I PP only less than 5% of my images.

If u hate to PP, what u should do is try to tweak your camera settings until what u think will give you the best output. If having done all this and u are still not happy, then considering another system is quite a reasonable thing if u have the means and u are at your wits ends.

I would think that 3 systems MIGHT help you. But remember, every system has their cons too. I have been told that indeed Nikon colours can be much punchier. Also, as an Oly user, I have very rarely, as mentioned before, found the need to PP the JPEGS. Third possibility, is perhaps Sony. I have also been told that Pentax gives very rich colours too. There is no way out of this. If u change system, u have to relearn all the faults of each system again. Consider this decision carefully.

Not processing your photos is like shooting with a Polaroid. Help yourself with some books in the library. I'm afraid even the 1Ds or D3x won't be able to satisfy you if you're unwilling to learn post-processing.

FYI, I did. I even bought Scott Kelby Lightroom 2 and complete reading it book to learn post processing with Lightroom 2. :)

I had been playing with White Balance, Tone, Clarity, Tone Curve, Sharpness, Noise Reduction since then.

It is by camera setting....... every camera is able set all the parameter to personal liking.

Personally felt that, by giving this type of comment, not only you are misleading TS, but showing how technically unsound you are. :thumbsd:

To a certain extend from what I understand JPEG from camera body are in a way PP.

Lens play a major role too in final picture output, especially if w/o post-processing
Maybe, it will help if u can share w/ the bros/sisters here, the lens u are shooting w/ :)

Not a problem, I have the following lens:-
1 - Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
2 - Canon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
3 - Canon 50mm f1.4 USM

Did consider buying a L lens to get better images but using a crop body and I mainly shoot Landscape. I guess I am giving up the thought as it is not so wide enough. Unless I go buy ultra wide angle.

Last edited:
Check your settings. I think you left your saturation/contrast to low.
Your 500D has the newest Digic 4 sensor. Even old tech such as the EOS D60 can produce great shots.

TS, tried and rent another camera from another brand. If it is really the case, change the system.

However, have u tried ensuring before u take the picture, is the lighting at that time at the best that can bring out the colour? Some great shots u see are done when the photographer waited for the best lighting before press the shutter.

If what u say about 500D is true, I guess canon would have close shop long time ago.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Recently into photography and I had been following through all the good post/pictures in Clubsnap.

I got my Canon 500D sometime back in July and been taking a lot of pictures since then. Few months down the road I notice that images that I took are not that punchy and rich in color and even some of my friends suggested that some of the shots really look a bit dull and flat.

I tried perform some image editing to bring out it colors and "feel" which I need but it don't always help. Upon reviewing and research further, it seem like this is a common case for Canon 500D as image output tend to be more soft and less rich in color. And I do came across statement that Canon system is better for portraits shooting as output is soft which is better for human skin tone.

Pls do not quote or flame me that Canon system do not fare well in landscape or other type of shooting. I am just saying it is better for portraits shooting as it output is soft as some of the people that I ask advising me on this. I did play with my 500D build in pictures style and even try out custom it settings as some post suggested but am not still getting the desirable colors etc...

I am currently in a dilemma should I upgrade my 500D to 7D as I am really wondering would I get slight better image output? Not sure would it slightly help on this as it features and build are better than 500D. I do know that there are always say that is still the man behind the camera that should be doing the job but I believe that with better tool, it will contribute better result provide the one who use it know it camera capability and limits.

The next option would be considering changing all my current System/Gears to Nikon D90 as review such as dpreview state that it color output is more vibrant due to it better picture control system. I am thinking of this as part of the option as D90 with kit is also cheaper than a 7D body.

Seeking all kind advise from all the experts and seniors over here.
**PS I am not starting a flaming wars between the C or N, just seeking opinions from all the bros and sis here who know photography/cameras etc better then me. What more some had been into this hobbies for years.

You will understand your problem better if you shoot a roll or two of trans.

-------------------------------
www.flickr.com/photos/sim4nee

I think you already suspect the likely cause is you and not the camera. I doubt there's a single DSLR available that can't produce bright, punchy colours given the right subject, lighting, exposure and settings.
I don't have a 500D, but on my 30D I have 2 primary Picture Style settings -- one with increased saturation for subjects that need the punch -- even for this I don't set the Saturation to the max because it is generally way too much. Should be similar to your 500D.
I'm talking about straight JPEGs of course -- I normally leave the camera on RAW + JPEG. If I can get the results I want with JPEG I don't bother with the RAW file or PP.

The 500D samples at DPReview don't look dull:
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos500d_samples/

The way I see it, there are 4 possibilities:
- you expect too much from your camera (or any camera)! (in this case, perhaps PP will help you get the images you want)
- you got a lemon (unlikely, i guess)
- you're not getting your exposure right
- you're shooting dull subjects and/or in dull light!

There are many reasons to upgrade or change your body or system, but dull or unsharp results is likely to be your fault, not your cameras!

Maybe I am the cause, Maybe is the camera.... there is no right or wrong answers but of cos everyone will appreciate a better body, better lens at the end of the day...

No necessary the best gears in class will produce the best output but of cos I do believe that there is a certain advantages over here. But good photographer can make wonder even with a PNS or without any PP which I am seeing over here in some of the post on the net or clubsnap.

Could I trouble you to share your picture style setting which I could give it a try on my 500D? Of cos diff ppl diff taste at least I have something to kick start with. In fact I didnt set my saturation to max but rather increase it setting with +1.

Anyway thanks for your valuable post! =)

if you want vivid colors, in the day, try using the landscape more with saturation +2 or even +3. this setting doesn't work well at night tho, too saturated. At night i use faithful picturestyle.

Maybe I am the cause, Maybe is the camera.... there is no right or wrong answers but of cos everyone will appreciate a better body, better lens at the end of the day...

No necessary the best gears in class will produce the best output but of cos I do believe that there is a certain advantages over here. But good photographer can make wonder even with a PNS or without any PP which I am seeing over here in some of the post on the net or clubsnap.

Could I trouble you to share your picture style setting which I could give it a try on my 500D? Of cos diff ppl diff taste at least I have something to kick start with. In fact I didnt set my saturation to max but rather increase it setting with +1.

Anyway thanks for your valuable post! =)

Check your settings. I think you left your saturation/contrast to low.
Your 500D has the newest Digic 4 sensor. Even old tech such as the EOS D60 can produce great shots.

That one of the reason I choose 500D instead of 450D.
Nope I tried use default setting and also slight increase it saturation/contrast
BTW I did saw beautifully work produce from 40D and they are great!

TS, tried and rent another camera from another brand. If it is really the case, change the system.

However, have u tried ensuring before u take the picture, is the lighting at that time at the best that can bring out the colour? Some great shots u see are done when the photographer waited for the best lighting before press the shutter.

If what u say about 500D is true, I guess canon would have close shop long time ago.

Tried a number of things, like shooting at the golden time for best lighting.
shoot with tripod using remote. checking the correct shutter speed, f number, ISO, exposure before taking the shots. Avoiding using the Internal Flash...

Not saying Canon 500D is no good, blah blah is better. Maybe more in a dilemma to either upgrade to 7D or to other system will be better. But of cos at the end of the day the factors is still the person who is taking the shot.

You will understand your problem better if you shoot a roll or two of trans.

www.flickr.com/photos/sim4nee

Care to elaborate further? I humbling seeking your insight on this.

Last edited:
if you want vivid colors, in the day, try using the landscape more with saturation +2 or even +3. this setting doesn't work well at night tho, too saturated. At night i use faithful picturestyle.

Hi ricleo, this is a valuable input!!! Could I check with you do u increase the contrast for day shot?

Infact I also enable Highlight tone priority for the next shot to give it a try.

Hi ricleo, this is a valuable input!!! Could I check with you do u increase the contrast for day shot?

Infact I also enable Highlight tone priority for the next shot to give it a try.

if you want to increase the contrast setting, do so within the custom picture styles. For me, my lens have good contrast, and i usually don't increase it in camera.

I also notice that my nightshots seem to be better than dayshot...
Of cos the images are PP...

Your camera look ok......

btw, 7D is using 1.3xCrop sensor, ie, you can only use FF lenses = need to invest more $$$.

I also notice that my nightshots seem to be better than dayshot...
Of cos the images are PP through lightroom...

4014618784_184a492ec5_o.jpg

4014617408_36f3d4e428_o.jpg

4013954205_3c54cfe8c3_o.jpg

4013859463_a9b31ea365_o.jpg

4014011743_d488da4e99_o.jpg

Last edited:
if you want to increase the contrast setting, do so within the custom picture styles. For me, my lens have good contrast, and i usually don't increase it in camera.

Noted! One of the reason consider Nikon as I understand their Kit len is more contrast as per info by my colleague who reside in HGK. Thus unable to really have hand on a his D90.

Your camera look ok......

btw, 7D is using 1.3xCrop sensor, ie, you can only use FF lenses = need to invest more $$$.

1.3? I thought is 1.6? I guess should be able to use EFS mount since 18 - 135mm is a EFS

Noted! One of the reason consider Nikon as I understand their Kit len is more contrast as per info by my colleague who reside in HGK. Thus unable to really have hand on a his D90.

1.3? I thought is 1.6? I guess should be able to use EFS mount since 18 - 135mm is a EFS

Sorry my bad.....wrong info, it is a 1.6 APS-C sensor. :embrass:

Sorry my bad.....wrong info, it is a 1.6 APS-C sensor. :embrass:

No worries, I appreciate your input for newbie like me who is learning and really need help with this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.