Should I replace Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for DA 35ltd?

wazzupku

Apr 24, 2010
Hi,

I have and been using Tamron for more than 4 months. I am happy with it from everything, sharpness from 2.8, close focus, fast AF. But most of all, the convenience with zoom for walk around. It also is a nice portrait lens (but not somewhat very nice bokeh). The cons is: just it is too heavy and the color is not rich and nice. That's why I am thinking to replace it by a 35ltd + cash different.

I currently have DA 18-55 and an M50 1.7. So my question is: Is it really worth it to scarify the zoom to get the nicer color/contrast? Or should there anything else the 35ltd beat the Tamron that I should consider? What is the purpose for 35ltd really.

There is another cheaper option: 40ltd

Cheers

My choice will be to keep the tamron, since you've justified so many good things with its usage.
Color and contrast can be pumped up easily with many simple softwares, as for the weight, i think it's acceptable, considering its a zoom lens with constant f2.8 aperture..

My choice will be to keep the tamron, since you've justified so many good things with its usage.
Color and contrast can be pumped up easily with many simple softwares, as for the weight, i think it's acceptable, considering its a zoom lens with constant f2.8 aperture..

Hi, thank you for your advice. Maybe i didn't state it out very clear. Not only the contrast and color are different, but the feeling from it too. It is something very pentaxious. Not pale and sort of lifeless like tamron. But yes, I still don't have any complain about the tamron really.

Id say get both bcos some days ull feel like using a prime n some days ull feel like zooming.

Whatever u do, dont get the da40 bcos it cant really focus close. I tried one alongside my tamron n kept hitting the end of the focus range

another even cheaper version... DAL35 2.4
and since it is so cheap... keep both...

sometime zoom lens is very handy...

Last edited:

Agree with this too, especially after i played with it 2 days ago.. Love the build quality at this price, plus super quick focus, sharp from edge to edge, faster f2.4 than Ltd too

Id say get both bcos some days ull feel like using a prime n some days ull feel like zooming.

Whatever u do, dont get the da40 bcos it cant really focus close. I tried one alongside my tamron n kept hitting the end of the focus range

Oh, thank you. I never notice that. And yes, I want to focus close. Even on my M50 1.7, I often hit it limit range and don't really like it sometimes.

Thank you for your advice. Zoom lens definitely is very handy. That the reason I most love about my Tamron .

I always considered about the DAL 35 2.4 before. I like the sharpness of it too. But after testing it for like 3 hours, now I don't really see anything special about that lens except for it low cost, VERY light weight (beat Tamron), fast focus (faster than Tamron, about 8.5~9 to DAL35) and sharpness at center (much sharper than Tamron at center @ wide open, but around the same when step down to 3.2). But really, sharpness can do with photoshop, weight can do with some gym. But the most considering issue for me is the color rendering and pentax color uniqueness, is only so-so, the bokeh is also not that smooth and doesn't have the nice rendering also, maybe being a 6 blades lens.

So that's why I am looking for a bit on ltd lens. But bottom line, if Tamron is worth a keeper, I will consider 35 2.4 for a prime lens. Unless you guys have any other lens to advice for the price around the same as 35ltd?

Last edited:
Oh, and I forgot another issue too: will prime 35mm and a zoom 28-75 overlap each other?

Oh, and I forgot another issue too: will prime 35mm and a zoom 28-75 overlap each other?

lol.. of course. except for the macro capabilities of the 35mm, the rest sounds more like a waste of money to me. Learn PP, seriously.. it makes a world of difference and the software can* be free, if u know what i mean.
But after checking your flickr, i figured u already knew that :p

yes overlap...
i have 16-50 2.8 and 55-300 4-5.8
but i still bought DAL35, super-t 50mm 1.4 and 100mm macro...

different place i will bring different lens...
weekend walkabout i bring 16-50 2.8 + 100 + 50
go place that can take your own sweet time like museum : 35 50 and 100
go bird park : 55-300 & 100 & 50
go oversea which need fast shoot and go, zoom is the one : 16-50 2.8

I vote for 28-75mm + 35 DA 2.4mm

I am too cover from 8-300mm with zoom but I still got 3 prime for different usage

The DA 35mm Macro is my most used lens. It is just so versatile and there are few other worthy replacements.

by the way the purpose of the you want to use the prime lens for?
if it is just for nicer color/contrast prime vs Tamron 2875...then u have to look at FA31 Ltd....I am absolutely poison by it.

Tamron 28-75/2.8 is already a very capable zoom with good FL coverage and performance.
Of course when you have such a zoom lens, any prime from 28mm to 75mm will be a duplicate, but then again, one of the main points about a prime is that its smaller than a zoom, right?
Its really going to boil down to preference.
I have the Tamron, but I use mostly primes. I'd use the Tamron if it was a very specific event (eg. someone's wedding) where I needed the versatility of a zoom and know that I can endure it dangling at my neck for the few hours of its usage.
At my own leisure, I'd use a prime.

The DA35ltd is an all rounder walk about lens. FOV on APS-C is roughly that of a 'normal' 50mm on 35mm format.
Wide enough for some scenes; Fast enough for poorer light; Fast and long enough for some DOF control; Good enough for portraits.
Top that up with macro ability (eg. Shoot the Kew Gardens then crouch down to shoot the flowers).

Both are good..i use to have both... as Pinholecam had mention Tamron is good for event shooting if u need a more versatile lens..DA35 is light and can be good and i alway put in my bag for food photography too

Hi,

I have and been using Tamron for more than 4 months. I am happy with it from everything, sharpness from 2.8, close focus, fast AF. But most of all, the convenience with zoom for walk around. It also is a nice portrait lens (but not somewhat very nice bokeh). The cons is: just it is too heavy and the color is not rich and nice. That's why I am thinking to replace it by a 35ltd + cash different.

I currently have DA 18-55 and an M50 1.7. So my question is: Is it really worth it to scarify the zoom to get the nicer color/contrast? Or should there anything else the 35ltd beat the Tamron that I should consider? What is the purpose for 35ltd really.

There is another cheaper option: 40ltd

Cheers
Zoom versus prime is very different, the choice is yours, essentially a toss-up between weight and versatility.

Color and contrast - frankly this is not a very big issue for me.

Wow, didn't come back for just a few days and so many value advice. So thank you very much guys. Color and contrast is not very a big issue for me either, what I meant was the Pentax's color and contrast uniqueness. You know, like, it is very hard to copy the feeling from an FA lens or film using photoshop etc. So, this is important for me. Because I like Pentax for it 1/ Shake reduce, b/ Pentax color :)

I know this is completely madness to keep coming back with unstable decision like this, but I just got an offer for DA 16-45 f4 + DA 50 1.4 for $560SGD. Knowing if I sell my Tamron + my kit 18-55 I can get just the same this much. So,
1. should I get that combo to avoid overlapping and have 1 prime?
2. keep Tamron and get a DA35 AL because I like the idea of supersimon and pinholecam that :events for zoom and own leisure for prime :)

Again, many thanks for your thoughts and advice.

P/S Posure, you know that I would if I have the money ya? hehehe. When are you coming back to HCM? I just know some good place for food :)

i would keep tamron and get DA35AL
DA16-45 is a downgrade from 28-75