Should I get super thin UV filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
Hi

Need some advice here. I want to get a UV filter for my 70-200mm lens. Should I get a standard filter or the super thin type (like Hoya Super Pro)? Is it true that the super thin filter is meant for ultra wide angle lens to prevent vignetting so there is no point using it for telephoto lens? Thanks.

FM

I use a normal Hoya UV filter for my 28-105mm and my 70-300mm and I have no problems with vignetting. The super thin ones are more important for lenses like the Nikkor 20mm.

But of cos the Super pro is a better UV filter in general. If you can afford it, go ahead and get it. If not a normal one will suffice.

you don't really need super thin filters for telephoto lenses.

you could consider the B+W MRC as well. I find them much easier to clean than Hoya's multicoated lenses and the quality is as good if not better.

thin filters are useful if you wanna stack more than one filter on a wide angle lens...
this will reduce the risk of filter vignettning
if you are doing tele photo as mentioned, this is not so important...

showtime said:
thin filters are useful if you wanna stack more than one filter on a wide angle lens...
this will reduce the risk of filter vignettning
if you are doing tele photo as mentioned, this is not so important...

Agreed. Most DSLR may not experience vignetting for wides due to crop factor.

Leongfm said:
Hi

Need some advice here. I want to get a UV filter for my 70-200mm lens. Should I get a standard filter or the super thin type (like Hoya Super Pro)? Is it true that the super thin filter is meant for ultra wide angle lens to prevent vignetting so there is no point using it for telephoto lens? Thanks.

FM

broke a hoya pro1 thin uv filter at the zoo couple of weeks back...using on a 80-200mm lens...i find it a little expensive for a uv filter (abt $73), but i guess it's worth it. it did not shatter when it was smashed...just few pieces of glass fell off...but now i use a normal vitacon uv....

thin filters, i think, most useful when using with a wide angle lens...coz at times you find it a hassel to remove the first filter to attach another filter, you can stack them together without vignetting (eg thin uv + thin cir pol) <-- (not tried yet, but i supposed it will not create any vignetting)

Status
Not open for further replies.