Should I buy the 24-70 II or the TS-E 17?

dtwatson

Jun 1, 2010
My body is 5D mark II, I just sold my 16-35 II and 50mm 1 month ago, and got the 70-200 F2.8 II IS for shooting portrait and something far away.
I like the 70-200 a lot, but it can't shoot photo inside room, or shoot landscape, so my plan is to get another lens for in room/landscape.

Should I get the 24-70 or the TS-E 17? I think the range 24-70 is not useful, I can move forward or backward to cover it.
The TS-E 17 is amazing, has many creative usage, can it shoot people? (sorry my English is not good:)
Which one should I get?

If 24-70 is not useful, why even consider it? Just get the TS-E17

Should I get the 24-70 or the TS-E 17? I think the range 24-70 is not useful, I can move forward or backward to cover it.

Oh my, looks like I've got to dump all of my primes :(

My body is 5D mark II, I just sold my 16-35 II and 50mm 1 month ago, and got the 70-200 F2.8 II IS for shooting portrait and something far away.
I like the 70-200 a lot, but it can't shoot photo inside room, or shoot landscape, so my plan is to get another lens for in room/landscape.

The TS-E 17 is amazing, has many creative usage, can it shoot people? (sorry my English is not good:)
Which one should I get?

If you had to ask, you probably don't need either lens but then again, seems like you have already decided on the TS-E 17mm.

avsquare said:
Oh my, looks like I've got to dump all of my primes :(

I do provide a dumping collection service. For you my friend, I give you best price. :)

My problem is, I can only afford 1 more lens, so I can choose either 24-70 or TS-E17 to use together with 70-200.
Which one will be more useful? from reviews, the 24-70 image quality is not as high as 70-200. And seems in this range, advanced users use prime lens, they don't use 24-70 except the wedding photographer.
But is the gap between TS-E17 and 70-200 too big? can I simply cover it by moving forward or backward? And between TS-E17 and TS-E24, which one is better? the TS-E24 can cover more use case, it has bigger magnification rate, but the TS-E17 is wider. Perhaps I can just crop the image from TS-E17 to get a TS-E24 equivalent image?
I think the 35mm and 50mm is difficult to use, the background information is neither too much nor too little, you need to composition carefully to show what you want to show.
I'm not a very experienced user, please correct me if I got something wrong in my mind.

And if I want to shoot people in room, is 24-70 better than ts-e17?
ts-e17 is better for landscape and architecture.

My problem is, I can only afford 1 more lens, so I can choose either 24-70 or TS-E17 to use together with 70-200.
Which one will be more useful? from reviews, the 24-70 image quality is not as high as 70-200. And seems in this range, advanced users use prime lens, they don't use 24-70 except the wedding photographer.
But is the gap between TS-E17 and 70-200 too big? can I simply cover it by moving forward or backward? And between TS-E17 and TS-E24, which one is better? the TS-E24 can cover more use case, it has bigger magnification rate, but the TS-E17 is wider. Perhaps I can just crop the image from TS-E17 to get a TS-E24 equivalent image?
I think the 35mm and 50mm is difficult to use, the background information is neither too much nor too little, you need to composition carefully to show what you want to show.
I'm not a very experienced user, please correct me if I got something wrong in my mind.

Sorry to be mean, but I have no idea what you are blabbering :bsmilie:

First, what kind of junk review did you read that says that in mid focal range, advanced users use primes and only wedding photographers use the 24-70? Use prime = advanced and pro, use zoom like 24-70 = wedding photographer and n00bs? :eek:

Is the difference between 17mm and 70mm, big? You bet. 17mm is considered Ultra-Wide and 70mm is mid-telephoto. It's best you go research the field of view of these 2 lens. Of course, if every place on earth does not have obstacle, I can even use a 1200mm lens to take a full shot of the Tokyo tower but you've got to know how many hundreds of meters I have to move back. If everything can be done via moving front and back, why bother release so many kinds of lens?

BTW, I'm not sure if you know what's a Tilt-Shift lens. No offense, but I don't think you have a need for a TS-E if you are asking such questions.

And I'm not sure of your statement on the 35mm and 50mm. Neither too much nor too little, and need to compose carefully to show what you want to show? You need to compose carefully no matter what focal length. It doesn't mean I give you a 12mm lens so that every crap in the scene is in and you can just anyhow snap since your intended subject is confirm in.. In fact, the wider your focal length, the more "tricky" it is cos there's more things in the frame and you have to frame carefully, taking into account of unnecessary distractions and perspective distortions of wide angles. However, that doesn't mean you should just take the "lazy" path and shoot every single thing at telephoto just to isolate the subject out, which can be a little boring if overdone.

Sorry for being over "frank", but I'm really at a loss at what you've been reading.. it's quite skewered :dunno:

I just find it very strange to read that someone would find the TS-E 17mm more useful than the 24-70mm and this is coming from someone who is using the TS-E 17mm for about 30% of his work. What is it that the TS-E 17mm can offer that your previous 16-35mm can't do?

The concept of using various focal lengths goes beyond compositional framing. Assuming you can zoom all the way from 17mm to 70mm, so what? You are getting a totally different perspective and that is a critical factor which will dictate how a photo will look. You can't simply walk a few steos forward to turn the 17mm into a 70mm. Doesn't work that way.

If you are not experienced, I'd suggest you forget about tilt/shift lenses for the time being. Pick up a used 17-40mm or equivalent and explore things you can do with it first. And no, you can use the 70-200mm for indoor or landscapes. You just need to know how to use it, as with other lenses.

Last edited:
Sounds like TS just need to buy something to quench the BBB virus.

You all don't so mean la, let him buy either one then pray that he faster let go of the lens at bns section.

ok, let me just use my 70-200 first.

dtwatson said:
ok, let me just use my 70-200 first.

IF I am right, you used 16-35 in the past and sold it recently in bns. Trust you already have sufficient experience in ultra wide angle and telephoto zooms. That said, you can decide yourself instead of asking ideas from others which is more confusing.

Hi dtwatson! I think you should should just buy back a 16-35L and it will pair nicely with your 70-200L. Shoot with them first and then you can decide later if you want a fast 50mm prime to fill the gap?

To TS... no need to get too worried over what lens to shoot and the such. If really in doubt, just go and rent the two lenses then play with them to see which one you like and get that one lor.

Another way is to buy a second hand one from the forum, play for a while, and if don't like it, sell that lens (a second hand lens should not have too much or any depreciation in price) so you are actually using a lens for free (the main issue here though was that you have to get a good copy and take good care of that copy so that the next person who purchase it will not come into our consumer corner to complaint).

buy both they have different usages anyway.

It is PRECISELY such senseless braindead threads that get so many members riled up.

Seriously TS do you even know what you want or not?

I am sorry if this comes across as abrasive to you but this kind of questions show that you do not even know what you want.

I suggest like some have, to get back a 16-35 and pair it with your 70-200 again, then look at what you REALLY REALLY need. Not want but NEED.

Of course if you just NEED to quench that BBB virus then by all means get whatever you like.

This is really the first time I come across someone who has said the 24-70 isn't useful compared to the TS 17 for people shots in a room.

Get a Canon EF 22-55mm f/4-5.6 USM for a couple of bucks from eBay and be happy.

Yea I didn't know what I wanted like you TS...so I got both.:bsmilie:

8096663208_0530cdde54_c.jpg

I must say this though, I am tremendously enjoying the TS-E 17 and its usage and not just primarily from the tilting function. The manual focusing really allows me to put a lot of thinking into how i should compose and there is a sort of joy to be derived from that...

Last edited: