should get 550D kit I or kit II

dexdidi

Aug 9, 2010
im new to dslr. wan to get some advice should i get kit I or kit II, thanks

Hi Dex, 18-55 in my opinion is too short, I'm having the 550D with 18-135mm and I'm very impressed & happy with it.
Hope this helps in your decision.
Rgds

hold both kit and get what's comfortable to you...

18-55 is fine for most usage plus it has respectable magnification for closeup shots...

18-55mm + 55-250mm

please stop posting identical threads both here and in Newbie sections ..........

please stop posting identical threads both here and in Newbie sections ..........

sorry i din know cant post identical in different sections. so sorry about it. i have closed 1 of it aready.

I think you use the 18-55 first.get know well with your lens and camera.in time to come you will know what lens you want to buy.18-55 is a pretty decent lens,sorry i dont study much of 18-135,but i used 18-55 + 55-250 at first,and when i know what is lacking in my shot,i'd go for a 15-85 sharper lens.didnt even wanna think of getting 18-135 or 18-200 because of t its IQ,sharpness,bulid quality.
So if you have limited fund,go for kit I then save up for a much more better lens in the future.

Buy the kit II, 18-135. It is more versatile, 18-55 is too short at the long end.

Please consider to buy body only , and add the 50mm f/1.8 lens ( more cheap and give low light )

Please consider to buy body only , and add the 50mm f/1.8 lens ( more cheap and give low light )

50mm f/1.8 lens is not for everyone's liking. you need to use your foot for zooming:bsmilie:

I recommend KitII

recommend kit 2 also.. in term of watu are paying the body will be slightly cheaper as compare when u get kit 1

guys thank for the advice. =D cheers! will be buying kit II tmr.

the 18-135 may be better in terms of range, but the 18-55 is definitely cheaper. u might want to consider getting the 18-55 first, so that u can save up more for better lenses in the future.

heya, i bought the 550D Kit 2 3 days ago.. quite happy with the wider range, but quite disappointed with the image quality - :( already sent it in for repair... hope that when you buy, u will manage to get a sharp copy

heya, i bought the 550D Kit 2 3 days ago.. quite happy with the wider range, but quite disappointed with the image quality - :( already sent it in for repair... hope that when you buy, u will manage to get a sharp copy

how did you know yours is faulty? what happen?

Got money: Go for 550 body and tamron 17-50 f2.8 non vc

No money: 550D kit 1 save money for better lens

I wouldn't advise kit I cos the 18-55mm lens' build is quite cheapo looking. It doesn't feel good handling it at all. However I must say the image quality is really quite good for a kit lens. I would advocate buying the lens you want from the beginning, else you will read and compare (like what I did) and end up "lusting" for the better lenses. ;p

Would recommend the kit II, though I do not know whether the IQ is good or not, I like the versatility of the range. Will be a good walk-about lens. IQ I read is so-so only.

Else others you can consider are Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non-VC, Canon 15-85mm IS USM or the ultimate lens for cropped body the Canon 17-55mm. The order is listed according to price, so depends on how much damage you can take for your pocket.

Happy shooting Bro!

FFA

I'm thinking to buy the 550D kit but my photography teacher has suggested to get as below if you have the budget:

550D body + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 which cost approx $650. :)

I'm thinking to buy the 550D kit but my photography teacher has suggested to get as below if you have the budget:

550D body + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 which cost approx $650. :)

Is ur photography teacher sponsoring you for the lens and all??

haha.. if not then since you are just starting out, start out small.. you don't want to spend lots of money then after 3-4 months leave ur camera at home and not shoot le..