Shooting with flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
The sun is behind the subject, so I mounted my SB600 on my D90 and took a shot with flash fired. However the subject turns out to be overexposed, in fact is very washed out. How come huh? I thought my flash is just a fill-flash? My compact/pns camera is even better than my DSLR in terms of this. Help please.

When your external flash is connected, a minimum shuttle speed is introduced. If you're shooting in aperture priority mode, the shuttle speed will be unable to go faster than this minimum and will result in a longer than necessary shuttle speed. This results in over exposure. I believe this can be overcome by activating FP mode (not sure if it goes by the same name in Nikons). The draw back to activating FP mode is greatly reduced range on your flash.

didnt know got this kinda problem. But still i dun understand.

it depends how far the flash is from the subject as well as shutter speed and flash speed.

Most of the time i play with the shutter speed to get the right exposure i want if no access to any flash diffuser.

The sun is behind the subject, so I mounted my SB600 on my D90 and took a shot with flash fired. However the subject turns out to be overexposed, in fact is very washed out. How come huh? I thought my flash is just a fill-flash? My compact/pns camera is even better than my DSLR in terms of this. Help please.
you shoot at f1.8?

Is there an option for flash exposure compensation? Shooting in manual mode? Dial the power down on the flash?

adjust the brightness of your flash lor.

btw, what's the metering mode you used? did u meter from any place 1st or u straight off focus on subject and shoot?

what is FP mode?

I normally select Av mode and F2.8, for flash is iTTL (which i think is the auto mode?).
Spot metering on the subject which is about 2m away.

show us the photo with exif intact.

fill flash you might have to adjust yourself.

you do have to play around with the settings to give you the relative background exposure that you want, i.e. iso, aperture.

this is a cat photo shot with fill flash with the dslr pop up flash..

3117698011_170cdab9d7.jpg

no, your flash is not necessarily a fill flash, and you might have been using manual output on your flash.. if set at maximum output it is no wonder everything is overexposed.

alternatively, like what others suggest, there is this flash sync speed limitation.. meaning that there is a minimum shutter speed before your flash can be used (usually 1/180 second or 1/250 second). if you shoot wide open (why catchlights is asking about your f/1.8).. then imagine the flash output anything, with 1/250 second exposure in broad daylight with iso400, there is no wonder it is overexposed.

there are countless reasons why this might happen, so best to show the picture with settings shown..

what is FP mode?

I normally select Av mode and F2.8, for flash is iTTL (which i think is the auto mode?).
Spot metering on the subject which is about 2m away.

hhhhhmmmm, if the bright sky is the backgrd, u might wanna meter off from the sky and lock the exposure 1st, then u fill flash but having said tht, your subject is 2M away, not sure whether flash powerful enough or not cause i nvr tried with flashgun b4. i ish no money to buy, still using the built in one :)

When using external flash always use M mode, first set your cam to ISO 100, 1/200 (or whichever sync) then meter the scene using Evaluative/Matrix then set aperture to get balanced exposure. Then set your flash to Manual mode starting from 1/8 power then do a test shot, adjust accordingly until you get the subject in proper exposure.

External flash is a hard skill to master, with all the angles, lighting power etc. Any advice to master flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.