Shooting Pudding with my D90

blue_kelvinsg

Apr 9, 2006
Singapore, Singapore
Hi fellow gurus,

I have an assignment to shoot a jelly pudding on a white plate, like food photography style.

I have the following

- Nikon d90
- nikkor 18-200mm and 50mm f1.4
- SB900
- 430ex
- elinchrom bxri 500 with 2 60cm softbox
- white shoot through umbrella

I need to know whether i need a light tent or light box to do this, or can I just use a table and just place my lights around it?

Can someone advise me on the setup or refer me to sites that have tutorials for this? I have been shooting portrait all these while and have zilch experience on product shots. Lastly, I reckon I will be renting a lens for this. Can someone maybe point out what lens will be suitable for this?

;)

Last edited:
I would suggest that you take a couple of dry runs first...

If you aren't confident, how can you actually take an assignment up? :sweat:

I would suggest that you take a couple of dry runs first...
If you aren't confident, how can you actually take an assignment up? :sweat:

+1
i reckon the prime would be good enough for this, why pay more to rent a lens when you have more than enough?

i always prefer natural light to artificial light. so unless you have no choice, try to get as much natural light into where you are shooting. i'm almost sure www.strobist.com would have something for a similar scenario.

cheers!

remember... puddings can be quite reflective...... watch ur lights.

make ur own pudding, and shoot trial first.

Pudding will be reflective and hence a light tent will be advisable . . . :)

nevertheless, you may try using your studio lightings. I don't see a need to get a lens for this assignment as most likely you will be using your studio lightings and you are shooting a static and close subject.

As suggested, pls try it at home to get the setting right before embarking on the assignment. It won't be nice if you start trying in front of your client.

You may wish to consider trying using your SB900 and the umbrella . . . :)

You can try diffuse the flash, bounce off ceiling etc. Move it to a window to use natural lighting and higher ISO might be sufficient too.
There's nothing too special about this shoot, what you have is more than enough, no need for fancy tents or lens.
Trial and error, shoot and correct.

i think u need to understand wat ur 'hirer' wants n expect before u even approach this assignment.

personally, i would like to stick with a micro len such as the afs 85mm f/3.5 dx micro(since u mention u r usin d90).

I think a light tent would produce pretty dull, evenly lit results. With food, esp when it's reflective, a little directional side lighting or even backlighting (nice for translucent stuff) might add some interest, as long as you control the reflections well.

The other thing that can make or break the shot (if it's in your scope) is a well though out, attractive setting.

Natural light seems to be the trend for food photography these days. You'll probably want to experiment before the big day!

Have a look at this:

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/technique/food-photography-2/

Last edited: