Shooting Macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maritimus831

Oct 11, 2005
what is your setup for shooting macro? newbie here, and i'm trying to learn this.
a tripod should be used right? is a cable release neccessary?
how do you shoot a insect close-up when using a tripod? won't the insect be gone by the time your tripod is set-up?
aperture should be wide open or stopped down?

also, what are the pros and cons of these macro lenses? thinking of getting one soon...
tokina 100mm f2.8
sigma 105mm
sigma 150mm f2.8 EX

Hi... i am also interested in macro and learning it... find our fellow CS Megaweb gallery useful... maybe u can take a look?

http://megaweb.clubsnap.org/

maritimus831 said:
what is your setup for shooting macro? newbie here, and i'm trying to learn this.
how do you shoot a insect close-up when using a tripod? won't the insect be gone by the time your tripod is set-up?

also, what are the pros and cons of these macro lenses? thinking of getting one soon...
tokina 100mm f2.8
sigma 105mm
sigma 150mm f2.8 EX

For +-100mm macro lens it is best for hand held to get closer to your subject. For a 180mm macro lens is best to use tripod to prevent blur image from hand shake...;)

maritimus831 said:

i use a D70 / 105mm lens and the built-in flash for fill.
hand held with a higher iso to compensate.

use of a tripod depends on your subject and yourself. if possible it is always best to use one.
cable release usage depends on the shutter speed that you are using.

how to shoot with tripod? set up and wait.
aperture would normally be smaller the better for greater DOF
but that is only a general rule, if your composition calls for less dof then you decide.

shoot more and post

definately is not easy to shoot macro, espeacially insects and small animals.
i'm using a tripod that can goes as low as 1 feet. canon 350D with tamron 180mm and external fill in flash. one point here for sure......patience is the key word.
normally when i spotted a subject, i will set up away from it and slowly moves in....real slow i mean. chances is it will get away but sometimes your luck will be just there.:)
this is what i manage to get so far........http://jessersim.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album03

Status
Not open for further replies.