Shooting IR underwater - First Test

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
This is HUGE ..... our friends and buddies at Fotografer.net (Indonesia) did their first tests with an Infra Red camera shot underwater on Sep 11 earlier this week in Manado

Quote: "The shoot without flash is interesting. It is proven that in 4-meter depth the IR light is very-well recorded without artificial light from flash. “For next test later, I would to test IR visibility in depth more than 4 meter,” said Harlim......"

Report here http://www.exposure-magz.com/2011/09/15/first-test-harlims-ir-camera-for-underwater-photography-by-edo-ang-in-manado-and-brunei/

IMG_9826IR-Brunei-5.jpg

IMG_9833IR-Brunei-3.jpg

IMG_3889IR1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting... look at how those coral glows.... normally, you would have to use 'black lights' and yellow filters like in CSI.

the significance of this is that we are now seeing a camera that is specially IR modified for UW use ....... i.e. it brings out and enhances the Reds in the color spectrum which are normally lost at depth ....

Quote: " ...... enhance sensor’s red sensitivity to IR wavelength and blue to ultraviolet (UV) wavelength.

.......... It is assumed that underwater organisms emit fluorescent cast......

"
Shoot with flash result is even more interesting. The assumption of fluorescent emission is proven. The colors look surreal while blue cast in sea water remains original
Between the lines, it sounds like they're using the coral's own flourescent emissions and (?) plankton to light the scene .... :eek:

I dont surf too many UW photography forums globally so if some kind soul can help spread the news with a link back to this thread, it will be much appreciated

Good to see that innovations can come from South East Asia :)

p/s any local dive shop that takes the risk and invest in this could potentially cause ripples in the UW imaging industry

Last edited:
Quote from http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/2/lines/
".... Fluorescence is a process whereby a matter of energy is absorbed by a substance, and then released by that substance with less energy. In this case a light source of high energy (lets say blue light) is absorbed by a substance (a coral) and then released with less energy (i.e. green light or red light). In general four pigments are observed in coral fluorescence (Mazel 1997)...."

-----------------------

and on Bioluminence and Phosphorescence .... Quote from reefkeeping.com http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/ac/index.php
"....Bioluminescence is a product of a chemical mix that produces light. One form of energy is converted into another. We see this in some bacteria and among various macroscopic life forms. Some fishes and squids house such bacteria in symbiosis (e.g., "Flashlight" fishes). .... its chemical origins distinguish it from fluorescence.

Phosphorescence is the glowing emission of light from absorbed radiation (a source of excitation). Unlike fluorescence, though, the glowing emission (phosphorescence) continues for a period of time after the source of light energy has ceased.

...Fluorescence, in layman's terms, is the absorption of light at one wavelength and its re-emission at another (without heat). Note: the difference in wavelengths (re-emission) is an important distinction here from mere reflection. Fluorescence changes the wavelength (color); reflection does not....."

shooting IR underwater has already been done quite a while back..

the last picture looks suspiciously like flash is used. you can even see the backscatter from the strobe on the left. actually, i think strobes were used in all the pictures that you linked here.

Here's an example of an over-under of a wreck, with the bottom lit with strobes. This looks more traditional IR than the some of the coloring adjustments that were used.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=119049394856773&set=a.119047958190250.23707.100002551391067

oh what i meant was modding an IR camera SPECIFICALLY for UW conditions as vs. bringing an IR camera underwater....

Last edited:
ah ok. i must have misread the first few posts then. hehe

so basically the IR cut filter is for a different wavelength? interesting. no wonder the pictures look very different from normal IR shots.

I will give Harlim a call to see if he can offer more comments

But essentially the mod enhances the sensor’s RED sensitivity on the IR wavelength AND BLUE sensitivity on the ultraviolet (UV) wavelength

p/s I understand that they did the tests WITH and WITHOUT modified strobes but unfortunately they did not indicate this in the sample images above ...... will try to find out more

Last edited:
So, Harlim and myself exchanged a couple of emails here earlier ....... his english is not good so I have TRIED to 'clean' up his email a little so that its easier to digest his comments.... still there are a couple of parts that still need a little deciphering :)

-----------------

Quoted from Harlim's email this afternoon

"Most photographers think that if you use an IR bandpass filter then it is an IR photo or using a UV bandpass filter.

Until today, many still think even this is IR 720nm. 720nm is actually just deep red.

Discussion of things like this will be very long and energy consuming, my work is based on the principle of still producing color AFTER the custom white balance , then the result is false color.

After the custom wb produces black-white, then it's totally IR.

False color can be produced by various methods. We can mix levels of IR, UV, Visible light to produce a color that is not unusual.

If there is discussion or debate where the IR or UV and the correct reply, then get back referring to the discipline of science.

IR is a monochromatic UV channel as well. Then whatever we do, it will be monochrome.

Every human being has always wanted to see the most. I prefer to nail on the need for us to be creative."

On Crossing Bridges 7, I already prove it , about fluorescent and Phosphorescence on body painting .

[youtube]Mu27skjfLsM[/youtube]

Mostly photographer think with black light already enough. My question anyone produce picture like this below?
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150130965048942.332578.252133638941&type=1
ira2.jpg

ira1.jpg

For the underwater version I chose a more flexible method for the photographer to explore the various aspects
"

Last edited:
Continued ..... Quote from Harlim's email

"With this picture, I hope can help you to understand

left side effect ( Visible /Color + IR/Lightness )
right side effect ( Visible Re-emission + UV /Lightness) ) "

harlim_IR.JPG

end Quote

Last edited:
Interesting, I've tried only putting a red filter when underwater to bring out the colors.

Hmm,,, let me sum what I get after reading, please correct me if I'm wrong.
So what he did is customizing the sensor's IR filter to let it pass higher dynamic range or spectrum that includes borderline and near border visible wavelength, not deep UV/IR. Thus we still get colors we normally get but with addition of some glow-effect from re-emission of excitation light from the strobes.
I wonder how is the result when no flash is used though. Seems like all the pictures is shot with flash.

Hi all,

Thanks for the OP. IR underwater can be indeed interesting. I would like to include my opinions too if anyone is interested in this.

I was the one who took that IR over/under wreck shot Antacid posted (with the version I prefer shown below). I am not the first person to attempt underwater IR either and I took my initial inspiration from the very accomplished Imran Ahmad. A good friend of mine and professional photographer. I also had the pleasure of meeting Edo Ang (who took these photos in the original post) in Wakatobi when I shot the wreck in IR for the competition. This photo below was my favorite shot from that shootout. The judges seemed to prefer my other shot that Antacid posted though. Perhaps they did not like my use of "creative flare"

5933466691_61f6e25eb9.jpg

Yes. IR photography (regardless of the levels of false colors) will have it's place UW. However IMHO, I think IR is a waste of the gorgeous colors the underwater world has to offer. To the untrained eye of the non-diver, most will tell you that they would prefer to see the colors. Unlike topside photography, many simply do not know what the REAL colors are underwater and as such are not as wowed when compared to bluish hair, perfect skin, white leaves and surreal winter like scenes... these are simply lost when it comes to viewing seascapes. Imagine me showing you a false color or IR shot of an alien planet.... see what I mean? False colors brings a completely different problem to the table... many creatures such as crinoids and soft coral already come in multiple colors! having it changed does little for the viewer! The trained diver's eye may spot the difference but many may not notice with just a passing glance.

The difficulties in Underwater IR (in the traditional sense of IR photography) are simply that water absorbs ALL IR light VERY quickly. I may not know the physics or the science as well as some esteemed forum members here but Infrared photography as we know it works that way. You can modify the filters of course to limit the spectrum of visible light that comes in and also UW... but IR is IR and because red is on that side of the color spectrum, its the one bit of color let in usually... hence the bright red unedited shots from IR cameras. For the shot above, I was in 1 ft of water with both strobes fired at FULL blast on a sunny day. it didn't get very far.

There is however a place for IR photography underwater if used creatively and if limits are understood. IR brings out different textures, contrasts, etc. You begin to see things in a different light! (Forgive the pun). Forget colors. If you shoot a hard shelled crab, ALL the spots and stripes you see on it's shell will disappear. The calcium on the shell reflects IR light incredibly well.... you will get a plain white featureless crab! The beautifully speckled shrimps may do the same! On almost transparent anemone cleaner shrimps, even IR will pass through the shells (see the very last photo in this post). Have a look at this photo I did of a "Pokemon" Nudibranch below. This guy was a pale opaque white color with orange stripes and black tips on the rhinopores. Under IR, it looks almost translucent! The speckled appearance is not visible under normal light. Here, you can even see the stomach tract! I believe this was from the algae this creature ingests as part of it's diet!

5817234802_55bc99b7c9.jpg

If IR photography as how we know it is to be done underwater, it's thus mostly left to the realm of macro shots. IR that has become fully absorbed means jet black backgrounds anything over 15cm away, even with the most powerful strobes. That is not to say close focus wide angle shots are not possible.... The photo below was taken with a Tokina fisheye lens and a 1.4TC. The fish was almost touching the dome port of my housing. It took a lot of patience to creep up to him to get this. Taken in just 3m of water in VERY bright sunlight. I would have been happy to wear a pair of sunglasses under my mask then. This is where you can see the effect of IR in water.... light may come in but infrared is the FIRST in the color spectrum to get killed off and absorbed...way earlier than the color red.

6103877282_8beb1083ed.jpg

It's not hard from this to figure out what the creative possibilities are for IR in underwater shots. jet black backgrounds, higher contrasts... think like topside IR and monochrome photography. The shot below was made using the same fisheye and TC combo but with the addition of a handheld snooted strobe with the light fired at full blast downwards.

281286_10150278508949233_582259232_7372901_4117329_n.jpg

I hope this was useful to those interested in trying IR underwater. I'm glad Edo is testing False color IR underwater and would love to see more results. Any experimentation with UW photography is to be commended. Sadly, I just don't see the results of UWIR being as appealing as it is in land based work to the average viewer. I was even asked before that wreck photography would be awesome if done this way. However, from the false color examples I see, the blues are still evident and not at all absorbed into black as in normal IR. This means you won't get the nice contrast you prefer! it can't be done effectively with normal IR too as you would not be able to see farther than 15cm (Unless you are shooting a toy wreck of course!). In the perfect world, I would love to have every opportunity to study the various filter spectrum options available to me ONLY for wreck photography to give a special look. That would mean blacking out the blues yet having the wreck reflect light... if this can be achieved, I may get myself a special wreck modified camera! I am however doubtful as even throwing all the light in the world at your subject does not mean the light reflected back is strong enough to reach your camera sensor.

Anyway, in the meantime, here are a few other UW IR shots I have taken... enjoy! C&C is always welcome;

5817234672_d359fdc611.jpg

5816666883_8fb0a43b06.jpg

5817235106_0c5d60de1f.jpg

5816667513_b716a89d22.jpg

5816669529_09bdc097f5.jpg

Last edited: