Shooting birds/planes in flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsosl1e8

Sep 18, 2005
Been experimenting my fz30 on birds n planes (ndp airshows), but i find that its very hard to get a pic proper. Things move very fast and the evf n focusing just cannot keep up. How?

I've read forums of people using red dot sight, but i doubt such stuff are sold in sg...

ahsosl1e8 said:
Been experimenting my fz30 on birds n planes (ndp airshows), but i find that its very hard to get a pic proper. Things move very fast and the evf n focusing just cannot keep up. How?

I've read forums of people using red dot sight, but i doubt such stuff are sold in sg...

in my noobie opinion i tink even with red-dot sight it also hard with basic 12x zoom by fz30. the plane/bird looks like a small dot and it gonna be a problem even looking thru the viewfinder.

in terms of focusing i tink as long as the plane ain't that near, fz30 should be able to keep up with it using AF-C, at least my fz5 does (using normal AF not the high-speed one)

my guess is learning the way and doing it more to gain more experience. :D

Best is to get a tcon and increase the EV slightly. Burst mode and stead hands might work.

Took this recently, was flying over head.

hmm... nice pic u got there!

Anyway, which focusing method do u choose? (or does it affect) Coz AF-C may tend to focus on the background instead, esp when birds are flying low.

Another thing is how to "follow through" the flight path when the EVF/LCD is lagging?

And finally, may i confirm that RDS is not sold in SG?

Thanks

ahsosl1e8 said:
hmm... nice pic u got there!

Anyway, which focusing method do u choose? (or does it affect) Coz AF-C may tend to focus on the background instead, esp when birds are flying low.

Another thing is how to "follow through" the flight path when the EVF/LCD is lagging?

And finally, may i confirm that RDS is not sold in SG?

Thanks

sure evf/lcd is lagging? i only know when i click the shutter, my hand lagged and the plane was out of the frame :sweat:. but after sometimes i learn how to counter it by shifting my camera slightly ahead(framing the plane near the edge rather than center). another tip is to gauge or estimate where the plane is going so you wun be following blindly in the evf/lcd.

here afew noob shot i took during aerospace 2006, was still using fz5 that time.
not cropped, only resized.
p1030163xy8.jpg

p1030295wv6.jpg

as for focusing method, its up to the user to decide. some prefer AF-C while some prefered AF-S

ok, so i guess i need more practice.

For focusing method, i was refering to spot-AF or multi AF. I'm not sure if there's a difference if i were to choose AF-C.

ahsosl1e8 said:
ok, so i guess i need more practice.

For focusing method, i was refering to spot-AF or multi AF. I'm not sure if there's a difference if i were to choose AF-C.

go for spot, but you will have to trace the plane very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.