Shooting bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstone

Any advise on shooting a band?

The likes of a rock band, outdoors. Indoors in dark conditions. Thanks!!!
Think I'll be shooting at least a few times. My friend fronts Auburn's Epiphany.

In dark conditions (eg in bar), with bright lights and generally fast movements. Should I use big or small aperture? :dunno:

i'd think the bigger the apperture the better. so that you can use faster shutter speeds to freeze the action. might want to bring along something with a faster af that does not hunt. that's if you're not manual focusing. especially since focussing for some lenses (or cameras?) seem especially slow at night. also maybe watch for flares and ghosts.

use a large aperture to freeze action. the 85mm/1.8 would be a good lens to use :)

redstone said:
Any advise on shooting a band?

The likes of a rock band, outdoors. Indoors in dark conditions. Thanks!!!
Think I'll be shooting at least a few times. My friend fronts Auburn's Epiphany.

In dark conditions (eg in bar), with bright lights and generally fast movements. Should I use big or small aperture? :dunno:

Recognise anyone in this gallery?

Ive shot them before, it was fun!

redstone said:
Of cos I do! Hahah! :D Will like to shoot during their next gig.

Ok, well here is some advice on shooting bands.

Firstly flash will most probably not be allowed so a fast lens will really help. I like to shoot some wide shots of the whole bands with the crowd in front or to the side to get some atmosphere of the venue. Then also get in close (either by walking closer or a fast tele lens) and get some shots of individual band members.

If its dark you will most probably be shooting around this setting:

1/20-1/150, ISO 800, F/2.8-3.5 (higher or lower depending on lens) and focal lengths between say 30mm-200mm (depending on situation and lens)

Of course, there is no hard and fast rules to shooting concerts and bands. Try slower shutterspeeds to get some cool blurs on guitarists and stuff, or rear sync flash if flash is allowed.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.