Shoot in Concert without FLASH


Status
Not open for further replies.

siewsphone

New Member
Feb 7, 2002
613
0
0
38
Visit site
#1
I'm working part time in NUS - University Culture Centre, got many chance to watch concert there, can anyone recommend me a good camera to take photo in concert without flash since flash is not allowed in the Hall or Theatre.

Anyone been there and take photo at there before?

Thanks
 

ckiang

Senior Member
#2
Originally posted by siewsphone
I'm working part time in NUS - University Culture Centre, got many chance to watch concert there, can anyone recommend me a good camera to take photo in concert without flash since flash is not allowed in the Hall or Theatre.

Anyone been there and take photo at there before?

Thanks
Get any SLR and use fast film (e.g. Fuji Press 800, Kodak Supra 800) or Digital SLR with a fast lens, e.g. 35 f2, 50 f1.8 and a fast tele zoom (e.g. 80-200 f2.8) for close up shots. Consumer digital cameras can't really cut it when doing available light shots.

Regards
CK
 

ckiang

Senior Member
#4
Originally posted by siewsphone
But I prefer :

1st DC
2nd below $1000
That would be hard, coz consumer DCs like the G2, etc all have poor low light/high ISO performance. $1000 can get a pretty decent film SLR and fast lens like a 50mm f/1.8.

If you still want to go the DC route, I suggest taking a look at the Olympus C2040Z. Its fast f/1.8 lens might help things a bit. But if the concert is not that well lit, then you will still have problem.

Regards
CK
 

Snowcrash

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,537
0
0
Western SG
Visit site
#7
Originally posted by siewsphone
Thanks =)

Actually I just take those photo as memorial
You can try a decent P&S with 1600 film.

I did it with 800 film but can only use the wide end of the P&S (28mm instead of 75mm).
 

baiyun

New Member
Jan 30, 2002
363
0
0
Bukit Batok
web.singnet.com.sg
#10
yupz...find that dc is absolutely useless in low light conditions...
in the 1st place wun be able to see the lcd display...how to take pics like that.......
then endup always very blurz......
 

Bluestrike

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
4,784
0
0
41
There lor~
bluestrike.clubsnap.org
#11
Originally posted by baiyun
yupz...find that dc is absolutely useless in low light conditions...
in the 1st place wun be able to see the lcd display...how to take pics like that.......
then endup always very blurz......
Well use a laser point at the subject then let your DC focus on it! hehehheahhahahaa

Anyway, for DC to shoot in low light is quite hard! Unless you toking abt those DSLR.......
 

tkj

New Member
Feb 23, 2002
27
0
0
Bishan
Visit site
#12
Yes, SLR is the cheap and good.

When I was a student, I use a manual SLR mounted on tripot. Using ISO 400 film and slow shutter speed I manage to shoot some good shot. Of course you need to avoid object that have a lot of movement.

However sometime the movement of the conductor arms can create nice effect.

With improvment in film technology, the performance of high speed film has improved a lot.

As for digital camera, the response time may still not suitable. Unless you go for the top of the range model.
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
34
Bedok
Visit site
#14
Originally posted by Bluestrike

Well use a laser point at the subject then let your DC focus on it! hehehheahhahahaa

Anyway, for DC to shoot in low light is quite hard! Unless you toking abt those DSLR.......

Dun aim at their head or the security ppl might thought that someone is sniping the singer
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#15
my handheld no-flash shots of jewel's concert last week were at ISO200 f2.8 1/30. Turned out ok exposure wise and a few look reasonably sharp to the naked eye (i don't have a loupe to see critical sharpness). Will be trying concert shooting next week as well for Suzanne Vega's concert but I am going to shamelessly bring along an SB-26 this time. ;)
 

siewsphone

New Member
Feb 7, 2002
613
0
0
38
Visit site
#16
What camera?

Originally posted by erwinx
my handheld no-flash shots of jewel's concert last week were at ISO200 f2.8 1/30. Turned out ok exposure wise and a few look reasonably sharp to the naked eye (i don't have a loupe to see critical sharpness). Will be trying concert shooting next week as well for Suzanne Vega's concert but I am going to shamelessly bring along an SB-26 this time. ;)
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#17
F70, but any digital camera with a f2.8 lens (quite a few I think are faster than that) should be able to do the same.

Originally posted by siewsphone
What camera?

 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom