Sharing Diafine

maddyks

Jan 15, 2007
Stad van Manneken Pis
www.flickr.com
Hey,

I am going to order some Diafine. It is in a gallon pack (~3.8 litres). the cost including shipping is 60 SGD. I won't need so much. So, if three or ideally 4 of us come together, it will end up cheaper. We can divide the cost equally.

Do drop a reply here for whoever is interested.

Cheers

hi. count me in. I will divide equally, even if there are two of us only. I am learning, and have been messing around with rodinal and HC110 so I don't mind to check out diafine. thanks!

raytoei

hi. count me in. I will divide equally, even if there are two of us only. I am learning, and have been messing around with rodinal and HC110 so I don't mind to check out diafine. thanks!

raytoei

So its right now -

1. Maddy
2. Raytoei

We'll finalise this tomorrow. So in case nobody else is in, I don't mind just you and me.

On a side note - I just found you on RFF today morning and was wondering :) long story heh.

Ok, Have anyway ordered it, will update you guys on when its getting here.

So here is the updated list -

1. Maddy
2. Raytoei
3. Sweat100

We only have one more place left maximum :)

maddyks,

thanks much! you have piqued my interest in Diafine, can you share with me where you bought the stuff, I am interested in the Development time as well.

thanks again.

raytoei

maddyks,

thanks much! you have piqued my interest in Diafine, can you share with me where you bought the stuff, I am interested in the Development time as well.

thanks again.

raytoei

Hey,

I have managed to get it from Australia from a guy who wants to sell it off. :)

which film do you want the dev time for? This developer is a push developer. Tri-X 400 actually is best shot at 1250 ISO for diafine. :p

hmmm.... i still have 10 rolls of neopan 400 and xp-2.

I currently develop neopan 400 and some of the other films using HC-110 while I develop c-41 XP-2 using Rodinal stand (1+100 for 1 hr) as well as non-stand (1+50).

For medium format, I recently ordered some shanghai 100s and soon-to-arrive fomapan 400. Will need to read up on push developer as I am quite new to film and (photography) as I only started in Oct, and film development only this year.

Tri-X is interesting, it creates hugh grain with rodinal.

will read up on it soon.

raytoei

an example of xp-2 with rodinal:
kook.jpg

interesting! you can soup xp-2 through rodinal? how does the film turn out? less contrasty?

hacknet, i dunno how to describe it, check out this rodinal article

http://eriephoto.com/Rodinal.pdf

In my opinion, this is what I found works for me:

For Rodinal, the more you agitate, the more contrasty you get, but you will get grain with that.

For "stand" development, ie. 60 mins no agitation after 1st min; or semi-stand, 60 mins with 1 min initial agitation and 3 inversions after 30 mins. This produces high accutance, which I read as sharpness.

See the above example, I shot this on el320 on a CL and old 1.9mm Canon lens using XP-2.

cheers!

rayoei

uber interesting stuff! Im itching to start developing again..! where do you pick up your rodinal?

cheers
JT

hi,

I developed this yesterday, despite the terrible haze, the boat is still quite visible.

The method for rodinal that works for me is Semi-stand:

* 1+100 dilution, 3ml syrup +300ml (aprox) tap water at 31C into one paterson tank
* First minute 20 Gentle Agitation in 60 seconds
* Left untouched for 30 minutes
* 3 Gentle Inversions in 10 seconds
* Left Untouched until 60 minutes
* Rinse + Fix + Wash etc

However, I tried with other films, nothing beats the Rodinal + XP-2 combo. With APX and Tri-X, it produces inconsistent tones, (insufficient syrup?). I have better success with Ilford films, from FP4 to HPF and the delta films.

I also tried full-stand, ie. no half-way agitation but again, the picture sometimes came out patchy, some call it bromide drag. See this picture for example of Full-stand, notice the picture is very fine grain, perhaps the whole 60 minutes produced very high sharpness.

So far, semi-stand works for me, and only with XP-2; the other C-41 like Kodak BW400cn will develop but it produces some sort of fog in the photos.

I bought Rodinal from Japan Exposure.com, a bit EX so if you know other place let me know, Ruby does not carry it. Japan Exposure is very fast, if you choose EMS, 3 days ie. Fri Order, Monday delivery. But if you choose surface mail, the time is quite fast, within a week.

I reckon that with 3ml per roll, a 500ml tank is going to last a while.

cheers!

raytoei

Last edited:
Hey Raytoei,

Yes stand dev sometimes does have bromide drag. And how come you are using such high temp? that will lead to more grain in your negative too.

Cheers

On a side note, the diafine is gonna be shipped today. Will update on when to meet when it reaches me.

hi,

30c is more of laziness....but i don't like the grain in my neopan 400. As for XP-2, I think the grain is manageable.

Thanks for ordering the Diafine. I can't wait to try it out.

raytoei

maddyks,

im in for the sharing too...
just let me know when to collect it.

thanks,
shawn

Is it too late for me to share?

So here is the updated list -

1. Maddy
2. Raytoei
3. Sweat100
4. Cheeshion

sorry Mikeymike, you are a tad bit late. But in case I don't like what I see in the rolls developed with diafine, I shall send you a pm. :) hope its ok.

To further update:

there seems to be a problem. the person has not updated me regarding the shipping. I am trying to resolve this by calling him up and all. :bheart:

Let us hope for the best and wait for diafine :)

Maddy,

don't sweat it. There are many sources to buy from, one of the places which I found very reputable is Free Style Photo, their Diafine in power to make 1 Gallon (3.8L) is about 14USD. (about 20 SGD)

Throw in shipping to Singapore VPOST Location in 97220 zip code is 5.99USD. Throw in another 20SGD from US To SGP (estimated), total = 20 SGD + 10 + 20, around 50 SGD. But of course, this take around 3 weeks to deliver.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c30-Black-and-White-Chemicals

Check out other prices, eg. XTOL for 5 Litre is 10 USD. Also check out their Trix and Neopan 400 house brand Arista film prices, 1.50 usd per box is incredible.

Another point of consideration, Ruby Photo sells some great chemicals as well:
* I bought D76 generic developer for 10SGD for 3.8L..
* I bought Ilford Perceptal (ultra fine) and Microphen at 10 SGD each, to make 1 Lite each.

If you can get the diafine, then Fine! If not, we have many choices ;)

raytoei

Ha ha I am aware of the US option heh. I can make it faster through my forwarder.

anyway he mailed me saying he posted last tuesday. that is strange that it is taking so long. :(