Sharing a Few Butterflies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW.......Thanks for the in depth knowledge of this mutual symbiotic relationships between ants and butterflies.
Do these relationships go beyond the caterpillar stage into adulthood?
It seems that the Branded Imperial in pic#01 is not bothered by the ants.

The most common caterpillar association with ants are from the Lycaenidae family( approx 30%), but not all the Lycaenidae butterflies need ants, however , a numbers of this family of butterfly can only complete their life cycle in association with particular ant species. , each butterfly species usually associated with a single ant species.
In the event that one of these ‘care for’ caterpillars wandered off and come across ants
of a different genus, would it be set upon and killed or will it be captured and brought back as a trophy of war?

The benefit for the ant is that the caterpillar has a special honey gland that secretes a sweet substance high in amino acids and carbohydrates that the ants enjoy. However, in some predaceous butterfly caterpillars, they secret a pheromones to fool the ant into believing that the caterpillar is part of the ant brood, allowing the caterpillar to feed on them.
Err…I don’t see any symbiotic relationships here if the caterpillars are gonna turn
around and eat the hosts that are offering protection to them.

Hi bro,

Just sharing the limited newbie knowledge I gathered over the last few months from the experts in ButterflyCircle. Some of them over there have being on Butterfly Study and Photography for tens of years. ......Most likely they are giggling at my poor attempts in answering these questions.:bsmilie:

WOW.......Thanks for the in depth knowledge of this mutual symbiotic relationships between ants and butterflies.
Do these relationships go beyond the caterpillar stage into adulthood?
It seems that the Branded Imperial in pic#01 is not bothered by the ants.

My understanding is the ant and butterfly symbiosis is limited to the caterpillar stage. The adult butterfly and their ant symbionts co-existed well, the ants do not attack the adult butterfly they associated with . In fact it is usual to observe the female butterly ovipositing, right next to the ant nest on the hostplant , with ants in attendence.

In the event that one of these ‘care for’ caterpillars wandered off and come across ants
of a different genus, would it be set upon and killed or will it be captured and brought back as a trophy of war?

Within the territorial control of the ant colony , this should not happen, as the caterpillars and the ants are on the same branch/plant. When they are feeding worker ants are always in attendance to protect the caterpillars and of course milking them.

Err…I don’t see any symbiotic relationships here if the caterpillars are gonna turn
around and eat the hosts that are offering protection to them.

Symbiosis used to be defined as a situation in which two dissimilar organisms live together to the benefit of both - this is now called mutualism. The word symbiosis means "living together"" in Greek.

Hence , there are many types of symbiosis:

Mutualism ---in which both organisms benefit),

Commensalism ---in which one organism benefits and the other is not affected

Parasitism ---in which one organism benefits at the other organism's expense.

:cheers:

Outlook ,

Thanks for viewing and glad u like them .

Apologies for the late reply... just got back from overseas.

Nice series again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing

Hi Bluesteel,

I find it very agonising to stalk butterflies. Always scuttling away before I can say hello, not to mention lifting up the cam.

Any stalking technique to share?

I think all the equipment means nothing if the stalking technique is not up to mark.

Passable or not passable, your pics do look great to me!!!

Nice series again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing

Thanks stevenwhy for the compliments!

Missed this thread apologies for the late acknowledgement.;p

Hi Bluesteel,

I find it very agonising to stalk butterflies. Always scuttling away before I can say hello, not to mention lifting up the cam.

Any stalking technique to share?

I think all the equipment means nothing if the stalking technique is not up to mark.

Passable or not passable, your pics do look great to me!!!

Hi Whitefeather,

Sharing some of my butt stalking approachl:)

1. Basically there are two categories of butterflies , the sun loving and the shade loving . So it depends what you are stalking choose the environ accordingly.

2. Know the hostplants and food plants of the butterfly you are stalking . Do abit of research on what plant they lay their eggs on( hostplant) and what types of flower they feed on (food plant) and concentrate your stalking on location where such plants are abundant , that will save you kilometers of footwork . The common flowering plants most butterflies feed on are Ixora, Lantana, coat button , snakeweeds, Mile-a-minute vine and many others . For individual host and food plant perhaps you can refer to the checklist at ButterflyCircle.

3. The best time to hunt for most butterflies is around 10am-12pm and 2-4 pm, too early they have not warm-up enough and activities are mimimum, mid day is too hot for the butt shooter, too late they are oredi preparing to settle down under some leaves for the hours of darkness.

4 Scout around their hostplant and food plant, use your peripheral vison to detect their movement , once you detected movement switch over to tunnel vision mode to achieve a lockon, this is especially so for the smaller butterflies.

5. All butterflies, for that matter insect as well, have their individual safety distance , a radius at which, when there is abrupt movement or an intruder infringe/enter into, they will take flight .

6. When it settled down , do not be in a hurry to rush in for the shoot, as it will still be at very high alert state from being startled by your present, Wait perhaps 10 -20 secs, let them settled down and get used to your present before you move in.

7. Select the angle you want to shoot the butterfly from a distance , with camera at chest level Approach the butt in a straight line slowly , and avoid any unneccessary sideway movement that will alarm the butterfly. Using this apporach I have fairly high rate of success in shooting even normally skittish butterflies.

A good stalking place for beginners will be the Alexandra Hospital Butterfly Trail where 92 species have been recorded so far , there will be at least 4-5 species of butterfly present at anytime during daylight hours.

Hope the above help me to see your butterfly photos soon !:D

Wonderful shots:thumbsup:

thanks for the wonderful pics and the insight! too bad the EXIF info cannot be viewed :)

Hi Whitefeather,

Sharing some of my butt stalking approachl:)

1. Basically there are two categories of butterflies , the sun loving and the shade loving . So it depends what you are stalking choose the environ accordingly.

2. Know the hostplants and food plants of the butterfly you are stalking . Do abit of research on what plant they lay their eggs on( hostplant) and what types of flower they feed on (food plant) and concentrate your stalking on location where such plants are abundant , that will save you kilometers of footwork . The common flowering plants most butterflies feed on are Ixora, Lantana, coat button , snakeweeds, Mile-a-minute vine and many others . For individual host and food plant perhaps you can refer to the checklist at ButterflyCircle.

3. The best time to hunt for most butterflies is around 10am-12pm and 2-4 pm, too early they have not warm-up enough and activities are mimimum, mid day is too hot for the butt shooter, too late they are oredi preparing to settle down under some leaves for the hours of darkness.

4 Scout around their hostplant and food plant, use your peripheral vison to detect their movement , once you detected movement switch over to tunnel vision mode to achieve a lockon, this is especially so for the smaller butterflies.

5. All butterflies, for that matter insect as well, have their individual safety distance , a radius at which, when there is abrupt movement or an intruder infringe/enter into, they will take flight .

6. When it settled down , do not be in a hurry to rush in for the shoot, as it will still be at very high alert state from being startled by your present, Wait perhaps 10 -20 secs, let them settled down and get used to your present before you move in.

7. Select the angle you want to shoot the butterfly from a distance , with camera at chest level Approach the butt in a straight line slowly , and avoid any unneccessary sideway movement that will alarm the butterfly. Using this apporach I have fairly high rate of success in shooting even normally skittish butterflies.

A good stalking place for beginners will be the Alexandra Hospital Butterfly Trail where 92 species have been recorded so far , there will be at least 4-5 species of butterfly present at anytime during daylight hours.

Hope the above help me to see your butterfly photos soon !:D

thank you for sharing! :thumbsup:

cheers...

Nemo and Kross ,

Thanks for viewing and the compliments.

Thanks for the trouble of putting such a detail write-up. Will certainly bear that in mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.