Sharing a Few Butterflies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesteel

Jul 27, 2005
Sharing some recent captures!

C&C most welcome!

Eooxylides tharis distanti (Branded Imperial)
_MG_7678.jpg

Caleta elna elvira (Elbowed Pierrot)
_MG_7540.jpg

Abisara savitri savitri (Malay Tailed Judy)

_MG_7518.jpg

Abisara savitri savitri (Malay Tailed Judy)

_MG_7492-1.jpg

Iraota rochana boswelliana (Scarce Silverstreak)

_MG_7221.jpg

#3 Judy and Steel :D

nice captures!

There's something about #3 that makes me keep looking at it.

Nice shots!! May i know what camera are you using?

Thanks ! Megaweb and UK ,

Glad you like them.

Warmest Regards!

Hi BR,

Thank You!

Broken Rubber said:
Nice shots!! May i know what camera are you using?

I am using Canon 20D +Tamron 180mm Macro lens + EX580 flash.

:cheers!

Very nice capture you got there.:thumbsup:
What are those white thingy on the vine in pic #01?

Lion King ,

Thank you for viewing and glad that u like them!:)

Lion king said:
Very nice capture you got there.:thumbsup:
What are those white thingy on the vine in pic #01?

The "white thingy" are the eggs of the Branded Imperial.

When the catapillars hatched, they are immediately taken into custody by the ants that guard them from parasites and predators. In return for protection the ants "milk" the caterpillars for a fluid that they secrete. This is a natural arrangement in which two dissimilar organisms live together for mutual benefit.

This is commonly referred to symbiosis between butterflies and the ants , many local species of butterflies has this symbiotic relationship with ants.

Thanks Bluesteel, for enlightening us. Your elaborations bring more meaning to the photo for the viewer. :)

These are nice butt shots and thanks for the info too!

Where did you take the shots?

nice shots!

And also good explanation to the symbiotic relationship shared between butterflies and ants. Now I have to start looking at ants and butts in a different manner.

Learned a lot. Thanks!

Regards,
tltan

tchuanye and photoliu,

Thanks you for viewing and glad you like them!

Warmest Regards!

:cheers:

photographique said:
Where did you take the shots?

Hi photographique,

#1-4 were taken on the MacRitchie Nature Trail .

#5 was taken on Kent Ridge Park.

Hi tltan,

Thanks for viewing and you are most welcome !

tltan said:
nice shots!

And also good explanation to the symbiotic relationship shared between butterflies and ants. Now I have to start looking at ants and butts in a different manner.

Learned a lot. Thanks!

Regards,
tltan

Bluesteel said:
The "white thingy" are the eggs of the Branded Imperial.

When the catapillars hatched, they are immediately taken into custody by the ants that guard them from parasites and predators. In return for protection the ants "milk" the caterpillars for a fluid that they secrete. This is a natural arrangement in which two dissimilar organisms live together for mutual benefit.

This is commonly referred to symbiosis between butterflies and the ants , many local species of butterflies has this symbiotic relationship with ants.

This is interesting. I gather those ants in pic #01 are there to 'collect' the eggs deposited by the Branded Imperial and once collected, they are brought into the nest, tended, care for and protected until they emerged as caterpillars.
Whereupon this symbiotic relationship of the ant milking the caterpillars take place in return for protection.

While in 'custody,' what do these caterpillars feed on? Are they let out to feed like cattles and goats and at the end of the day, herded back to the nest?
Does this relationship applies to all genus ant type or just those ants shown in pic #01?

What other types of butterflies has this kind of relationship with ants?

Paiseh....hope you don't mind me asking these silly question.:embrass:

Hi Lion King ,

Hope I can answer your queries from my limited understanding::embrass:

The most common caterpillar association with ants are from the Lycaenidae family( approx 30%), but not all the Lycaenidae butterflies need ants, however , a numbers of this family of butterfly can only complete their life cycle in association with particular ant species. , each butterfly species usually associated with a single ant species.

The ants normally take charge of the larva when it hatches from the eggs. The extent of the association varies. In some cases the ant cares for the butterfly larva by guiding it up to its host plant to feed during the day and then back to the nest for protection at night...yes, much like we farm cows. In some species they rely on the ants feeding them with regurgitated plants, much like we keep chicken!:)

The benefit for the ant is that the caterpillar has a special honey gland that secretes a sweet substance high in amino acids and carbohydrates that the ants enjoy. However, in some predaceous butterfly caterpillars, they secret a pheromones to fool the ant into believing that the caterpillar is part of the ant brood, allowing the caterpillar to feed on them.

These associations between lycaenids and ants usually benefit both partners (known as mutualism). However, even though the ants may benefit from harvesting food rewards offered to them by lycaenid larvae, they do not depend on lycaenids for survival and reproduction. Similarly, most lycaenid larvae feed on the young leaves, flowers and seeds of plants, and are not completely dependant upon the ants they may be associated with.

net.jpg

Perfect

Reliance ,

Thank You for viewing.

Still striving for the perfect shot...... these are just passable!:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.