Shall I buy Canon 5D or 50D???

Status
Not open for further replies.

clifflll

Apr 25, 2008
Dear Sifoos all,

Please give me your opinions as to which one is better or suits me. Help! I work as a reporter with a magazine and would like to buy a canon so i can use my Leica R lens with it. So it's more for leisure and more artistic and not heavy work. Plus I can't afford the new 5D MkII. Please help! TQTQ.

The larger viewfinder of 5D might be easier for manual focussing, maybe? :)

Can you please provide more details on the 5dmk II?

50d of course. Newer, more bells and whistles, comparable noise (maybe even better) and most importantly cheaper.

FF or cropped, you also have to consider the lens you'll have to buy.
EF-S to EF lens,
from 17-40 or 16-35,>>>> to 24-105 or 24-70. etc.

other considerations,
do you need pop-up flash?
total cost of replacing, buy/sell lens?
total weight of new body & lens?
do you need to change your camera bag?
more memory cards?
:dunno:

wow a reporter that sports a leica-lensed dslr? for event coverage or in house shoot? would you spend more time listening or shooting then? lol

50D you can use 18-200 :bsmilie:

You gotta pair the 5D with pretty decent optics to get sharp pictures (L is the standard for FF bar the primes which are still sharp nonetheless). The larger image sensor size means that they are more unforgiving on the optics.

Both has good and bad points. It really depends on your needs and what kind of photos you are taking. If you are taking fast shots, go for the 50D. If you need FF, go for the 5D. Buy it when you need it, not what others tell you it's good. If you can wait, then wait. If not, just buy it and don't look back.

Also, 5D MKII has been rumoured since a year ago. It's still being rumoured...

Price is not an issue here cos the thing is that both cams are different - one is FF and the other is not.

Both has good and bad points. It really depends on your needs and what kind of photos you are taking. If you are taking fast shots, go for the 50D. If you need FF, go for the 5D. Buy it when you need it, not what others tell you it's good. If you can wait, then wait. If not, just buy it and don't look back.

Also, 5D MKII has been rumoured since a year ago. It's still being rumoured...

Currently the annoucement of 50D, EF-S 18-200 IS and the PS E-1, A1000 and A2000 are pre-Photokina stuffs. There should be more when it's official.

Dear Sifoos all,

Please give me your opinions as to which one is better or suits me. Help! I work as a reporter with a magazine and would like to buy a canon so i can use my Leica R lens with it. So it's more for leisure and more artistic and not heavy work. Plus I can't afford the new 5D MkII. Please help! TQTQ.

5D :thumbsup:

Dear Sifoos all,

Ok NORMALLY I would slam anyone asking this kinda question, but cliff's concerns bring about a very valid dilema, even for myself...

Would you buy a 50D and take advantage of all it's 15mp and so called excellent AF servo, noise reduction and the sweet spot utilization of EF lenses, knowing confortably that you can use the EF-S 10-22 and 17-55IS 2.8 should all other so "FF" designed lenses not fit your needs?

ORRRR

Would you take the purist route and sacrifice 6.3 fps, that so called (again) "fastest servo AF better than a 1DMkIII" thing for all out FF quality at almost similar (or worse) noise reduction, and so on just for a FF 5D, and so on in that fashion?

If you're going to be using MF Leica lenses on your future camera then I'm guessing you will use the setup for 'slower' work, the kind that has less action, is more calculated and methodical. If I am wrong, forgive my ignorance. However that's the way I currently work with a 1Ds and Leica lenses.

The AF and FPS of the 50D would hardly mean anything to you in this instance, and as Adam mentions the larger VF makes accurate focusing easier. A number of people who have tried the MF lenses on a 1.6X crop camera have issues with getting accurate focus. And to be fair, I sometimes have issues with my 1Ds as well with wide angle lenses and faraway subjects.

It seems sensible to hyperfocus in such an instance but I find the distance to be inaccurate. Furthermore the Leica lenses seem to perform best wide open and just stopped down a couple of stops. When you start pushing a such lenses to f/11 and beyond the quality usually drops. That's what I found of a Summicron 35/2 anyway, where f/4 gives screaming performance, f/8 shows stagnation of IQ and f/11 actually loses sharpness in the borders.

However beware that the 5D is said to have a larger mirror than most other Canon FF cameras, which necessitates shaving of the mirror in some instances. There's a useful reference here for what fits and what does not:

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Leica_db.html

Not to steer you any other way, but if I were into alternative glass and doing all this slow, methodical stuff, I'd rather use a 1Ds Classic than a 5D.

There's a big debate going on as to which format is more taxing to a lens...is it a FF sensor or a 1.6X crop sensor?

One school of thought is that FF sensors utilize more of the image circle in a lens and hence has the tendency to reveal flaws in a lens that would exist towards the periphery, rather than the center. This includes issues like CA and unsharpness.

But the other school of thought is that 1.6X crop sensors have a much higher pixel density, hence requiring more lens resolution. Each of the tiny pixels needs to be enlarged a lot more in producing the final image. This in part may explain why compact digicams cannot give a result equal to that of a DSLR of a similar age and technology, and why medium format lenses are said to actually have less resolution than a 35mm lens. But when you look at a print from a medium format camera, the images are stunning. Why? It was enlarged less, despite whatever size it was printed to.

Ultimately the key thing to remember is what the crop factor does to the applications of your lenses. A 35mm lens is 35mm on a FF camera. It is usable for wide angle shots. Put the same on a crop camera and you get 56mm. Now it's more of a standard lens than a moderate wide angle. IMHO, this is the most important principle to remember when considering crop vs FF when considering alternative glass. For some, the crop factor helps, but for others it's just a hindrance. I will not buy a Leica 35mm lens just to use it at 56mm equivalent field of view on a crop camera...but that's just me.

Last edited:
Since you have Leica "R" lenses, best to get any FF canon. Like me I have many Contax MF lenses, I am waiting for 5D MKII or whatever they call it. If you do not want to pay so much as it is for hobby, like fWord said get older FF like 5D or 1DS. Using crop bodies like 50D, all your lenses becomes a tele. Harder to focus and do not use the lens focal length fully. If you can wait, get the new 5D. For me, I have been waiting for more than 4 years. Even when the new 5D comes out, I will wait for the price to drop a bit before I get it.

Thanks a lot for all your enlightening views, sifoos. Certainly takes away the wool in my head. Though decision not finalized but the direction of the next step is clear. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot for all your enlightening views, sifoos. Certainly takes away the wool in my head. Though decision not finalized but the direction of the next step is clear. :thumbsup:

I strongly recommend u to go FF. :thumbsup:

Ya, agree. But worth it to wait a bit? since a new Canon DSLR seems to be coming? :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.