SF24D on M7 advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperS

Sep 6, 2005
Hi all,

I know the RF is great for possible available light and all...but can anyone teach me how to set both the SF24D and M7 for the 2nd shutter curtain?

Is it to say that this will create more natural looking 'brighter' backgrounds?

I've been reading the manual of both.... catch no balls!

Wah...seems like nobody uses flash with RF here. Haha.

I do, sometimes ... Metz 54 Mz 4i on the M7 ... still waiting for the SCA-3502 to be able to use high speed synchronization (HSS) which I think is a good feature, and I think the 2nd shutter curtain sync flash (which I really don't use much even with my dslr so not much of a concern for me) ... also have other smaller flashes, but only for 1/50. Erwin Puts did like the fact that HSS can be attained with the M7 using the Metz 54 M3 (I don't think they make this anymore), the MZ4i is the new flagship.

Would have liked the Leica flash, but it can't even swivel the head, not for serious flash use (Leica must have been thinking it's users don't use flash or don't know how to use it). Only thing I can find it useful for, while maintaining a relatively quality flash shot, is for fill flash outdoors.

Here is a clearer explanation of the 2nd curtain sync flash, courtesy of Canon :) (Nikon's SB800 flash user manual has the same explanation) :

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/flashwork/functions/curtain/index.html

On my Metz, there is a function for "Rear", there should be one too on the SF24D, if it supports rear flash sync. Then, the M7 has to be activated (press shutter halfway until you see exposure settings) ...

Hey Cooper,

I use a Nikon SB 28 with my leicas, and for what you want, here's what works well for me.

The brightness of the background doesn't have so much to do with the curtain sync or the flash as much as it has to do with your shutter speed.

If you set a much slower shutter speed and set the aperature to give you the correct exposure with the flash, you would allow a lot more ambient light to enter the frame and brighten up the background.

As long as your subject is at least 2 stops under the ambient light, your flash should be able to freeze the subject.

Hope I make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.