setting up my own table stop studio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I succumbed to cheepoism and went to Ikea to buy a laundry bag, 1x table lamp, and 1x standing lamp and a couple of mouse pads. I needed the lamps for daily use anyway... so that's double cheepoism.

I have not taken any pictures yet (no time), but I hope to take some over the weekend.

As for the light bulbs... I figured that any cool daylight bulbs will do. What's the point of getting professional photography bulbs because the light will be filtered through the nylon of the light tent... and the colour temperature will be off. Better to use custom WB to adjust the temperature. :p

But I had a slight problem. I went to Giant to buy 2x 23W white bulbs... but only one of the lamps can take such a big bulb. I will have to buy another smaller one for the other light. :p

I'll take some pictures and show some results soon. :)

Hey, i actually bought a laundry bag from ikea also. I tried doing some shooting with 2 SB800, quite pleasing result. But probably need more lights. table lamp will do. But, background isnt nice since can see lots of "unwanted" joints etc.

My question is, i need a white cloth sheet and even black one for background. What kind of material or where should i go and get one?:dunno::dunno:

eh i only got the ikea lamp, ikea bulbs are bloody ex. i went those DIY/hardware shop and ask for a compatible watt (read your lamp manual) compact daylight flourenscence bulb. philips got quite a few seletion. quite cheapz too, <10$ each. comes in 2 designs, the U-shaped and "hurricane" style. i see most googled set up use hurricane bulbs.

Ikea got many type of table lamps. Did you get the $12 bucks round one? I was thinking of getting one.

eh i cant remember, it was super long ago.

Anyway, i convinced my parents to get a new fridge so that i can have the box. I managed to cut the box up and now im thinking about that paper to use to cover up the holes.

Is tracing paper better or majong paper? or should i get cloth or find material like the light tent?

And.... i think my box is a tad big... 77cm by 64cm by 55 cm... anyone know where can i get a paper backdrop big enough? it should be around 115cm long and 72cm wide. or if anyone knows any paper mills that customs?

BTW: j/k on the convining part. they were going to get a fridge before i asked. :bsmilie:

Spotlight have the similar cloth for softbox.

u mean the light will spill into the black bg making it not as black as jet? wah good qn! how to prevent those spills ar? i see the those specifically made light tent will not protect against spills also. my guess is to use a more directed light source and to block the other side of the tent (eg light coming from left, block the right panel) with black matt paper too to prevent reflecting/scattering.

ya, i tried that too.. but doesn't work.. one of the side become too dark.. but havent try use 2 lights, need to go hunt for it..:think:

maybe u could find some tutorials on smoke photography. those setups require jet black backgrounds, so they might prove some insight.

eh anyone know where to get the background paper? popular doesn't have big enough. need 1meter by 70cm sheets of white/black/brown. anyone got lobang? maybe to paper mills?

cannot find the laundry bag from ikea leh.. those who got the laundry bag, can post a pic of how it look like ??

I also own a few lightcubes (40cm, 80cm, 110cm) quite useful but need a big table to do set up.

Now I am using CLs softboxes (continuous lights), effect is as good as lightcubes, If you interetsed you can check out the CLs from here:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365246

Have taken some product shoots with it, setting is one CLs with 4 fluorescent lights (2x30W + 2x20W = 520 bulb watt). The white background is a DIY background using white cardboards.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369039

Notice the very soft shadow it gives. However I notice few of the images has slight greenish cast to it. (reason I used AWB on my A100) And these is normal with fluorescent lights. Solutions to solve this: is using Full-spectrum fluorescents (very rare and expensive in singapore) or just use the fluorescent light balance on your camera.

huge paper backgrounds... anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.