Setting picture quality mode for DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read carefully from the beginning and is obvious who started it. Thats all I want to say.

colour said:
Read carefully from the beginning and is obvious who started it. Thats all I want to say.
I don't think it's arrogant, but it's just not phrased the way you like to hear it, read again and digest it again, take it in your stride what deadpoet is trying to say.

JPEG is 8bits of data.

JPEG Fine has a compression ratio of 1:4
JPEG Large @ 1:8
JPEG Normal @ 1:16

RAW has 12 bits of data and is not affected by JPEG compression.

If you are talking about travelling + memories, I would suggest no less than RAW files for total power control so that you preserve memories as raw as they are. Shooting in JPEG leaves you no space further for editing & limited image quality

This is deadpoet's point put across bluntly.

Converting from RAW/TIFF 12 bits -> 8bits JPEG gives you better compression and image quality as it's saved from a larger data fileformat to JPEG format.

If you want image quality and memories, there cannot be any compromise, go for RAW all the way. Spending a lot more on portable HDD or extra memory cards would be better than compromising yourself with lower res images.

espn said:
Converting from RAW/TIFF 12 bits -> 8bits JPEG gives you better compression and image quality as it's saved from a larger data fileformat to JPEG format.

Isn't this what happens in-camera anyway - just with less control then manual conversion? After-all the image is originally caputred raw regardless of the setting - the setting only controls which version is saved.

chill, folks... i think we all have said our piece. let colour decide for himself/herself, its either his/her lost or gain. ;)

cyber_m0nkey said:
Isn't this what happens in-camera anyway - just with less control then manual conversion? After-all the image is originally caputred raw regardless of the setting - the setting only controls which version is saved.
In camera as listed, it's only avaliable in 1:4, 1:8, 1:16 compression, RAW -> JPEG gives you better compression than 1:4. You can try conversion and see for yourself, in camera output better than RAW->JPEG?

The file size is a give away, people with sharp eyes will see the differences between the two also.

Well there's only so much we can say huh? :)

espn said:
In camera as listed, it's only avaliable in 1:4, 1:8, 1:16 compression, RAW -> JPEG gives you better compression than 1:4. You can try conversion and see for yourself, in camera output better than RAW->JPEG?

The file size is a give away, people with sharp eyes will see the differences between the two also.

Thanks - that makes sense... I always shoot RAW, so I've never bothered to compare the in-camera and post production conversion quality...

Really dun understand it...

Why do ppl actualyl consider buying a high end camera and then decide to use low res versions of the shots instead? Memory is priced so low these days... Well, since you have decided that you are willing to forgo the quality of the shots, then by all means go ahead.

Honestly, you would be better off with a PNS instead...

zac08 said:
Really dun understand it...

Why do ppl actualyl consider buying a high end camera and then decide to use low res versions of the shots instead? Memory is priced so low these days... Well, since you have decided that you are willing to forgo the quality of the shots, then by all means go ahead.

Honestly, you would be better off with a PNS instead...

actually sometimes we should really think y did we decide to move on from PnS to Dslr, it is we wan good quality pictures, wanna feel good or professional, ppl buying so i buy, etc. if it's tat u wan good quality pictures, then think u shouldn't scrimp on memory. but then not all Dslr users shoot in raw though... well as raw logical could give u the best image possible, so there's a balance. i'm still using a PnS Fz5 but i have invested in a digimate portable hard drive to solve the memory problem.. as well, u may change your camera in the future but then u still can use a hard disk bah. but then if quantity is more important than quality, then lower res for your case is to ones choice. maybe u can take normal pictures in lower res, then for momuments or scenary u can use the max resolution too. but the down to the bottom it's up to you actually.

actually colour do have his own reason to down size it bah maybe he doesn't need super big pictures for competiton or jus trying out his new camera. as all photographers take photos for a reason, and our reasons may differ much from others. but then if someones reason is different from ours, it doesn't mean tat their reasons and methods are wrong. so if one disagree, i think it's better to be cool and jus not reply lor... haha... anger is darn bad for health u knoe.... :sweat:

I dun shoot raw all the time... in fact, I shoot in Jpeg fine most of the time, but when it comes to shoot where I want to have more control over the pictures, I would choose RAW instead. This is a large advantage over PNS cams.

But using a camera at under it's capabilities seems to be like using a cannon to hunt for rabbits when all you need is a BB gun... just my thoughts on the matter. So please dun take it too hard.

After-all, you bought the equipment, how you use it is up to you.

xiaowugui82 said:
actually sometimes we should really think y did we decide to move on from PnS to Dslr, it is we wan good quality pictures, wanna feel good or professional, ppl buying so i buy, etc. if it's tat u wan good quality pictures, then think u shouldn't scrimp on memory. but then not all Dslr users shoot in raw though... well as raw logical could give u the best image possible, so there's a balance. i'm still using a PnS Fz5 but i have invested in a digimate portable hard drive to solve the memory problem.. as well, u may change your camera in the future but then u still can use a hard disk bah. but then if quantity is more important than quality, then lower res for your case is to ones choice. maybe u can take normal pictures in lower res, then for momuments or scenary u can use the max resolution too. but the down to the bottom it's up to you actually.

actually colour do have his own reason to down size it bah maybe he doesn't need super big pictures for competiton or jus trying out his new camera. as all photographers take photos for a reason, and our reasons may differ much from others. but then if someones reason is different from ours, it doesn't mean tat their reasons and methods are wrong. so if one disagree, i think it's better to be cool and jus not reply lor... haha... anger is darn bad for health u knoe.... :sweat:

no one with a rational mind would understand colour's reasonings. He just bought a 30D. The camera was only launched weeks ago. The pric he paid for the 30D is at it's peak, the introductory price, meaning, he paid premium for it. He spent all his money on the camera, and I bet the two 1GB CF cards were the promo/freebies that came with the camera.

He is out of money.

He is going on holiday, and cannot afford to buy an extra or two 1GB CF card for his holiday pictures.

What if he bought a brand new 20D instead? But that is no no, not the latest technology, latest thing, gotta have the newest toy! So, he does not have any money to buy an extra CF card. But if he bought the 20D, there will be plenty of money left over, maybe color could even have enough money to buy a portable HDD. But he needs a 30D. So, he will be shooting at 30D's lowest resolution, which is 2MB or approx 1200x1800. It's good enough for 4R prints. But, then, 6MB of rsolution not used, might as well buy a 350D, or even a 10D. Then he wont be wasting any resolution, because he will have enough money to buy lots of CF cards.

Deadpoet said:
no one with a rational mind would understand colour's reasonings. He just bought a 30D. The camera was only launched weeks ago. The pric he paid for the 30D is at it's peak, the introductory price, meaning, he paid premium for it. He spent all his money on the camera, and I bet the two 1GB CF cards were the promo/freebies that came with the camera.

He is out of money.

He is going on holiday, and cannot afford to buy an extra or two 1GB CF card for his holiday pictures.

What if he bought a brand new 20D instead? But that is no no, not the latest technology, latest thing, gotta have the newest toy! So, he does not have any money to buy an extra CF card. But if he bought the 20D, there will be plenty of money left over, maybe color could even have enough money to buy a portable HDD. But he needs a 30D. So, he will be shooting at 30D's lowest resolution, which is 2MB or approx 1200x1800. It's good enough for 4R prints. But, then, 6MB of rsolution not used, might as well buy a 350D, or even a 10D. Then he wont be wasting any resolution, because he will have enough money to buy lots of CF cards.
kekeke.. must you so cruelly expose him so completely? :bsmilie:

let me try: If you buy camera to look professional, then there's no need to worry about image resolution. Since you got it liaoz, might as well wayang abit with it, let everyone else envy, and make some use of the $2.4k spent. Since no one else will know, and since you're not a sucker for photography/images anyway, there's never a need to shoot at max resolution. After all, when you finally come back and resize to put on CS to boast of the photos you took with your spanking new 30D, no one will know the size anyway.

LOL a rational enough explanation?

Why would someone spend big dollars on a flashy V8 car and only use it to drive down to the shop once a day :dunno:

haha, why not. Lets not tok about v8 cars lah, the number of WRXs, EVOs, RX8s and "GT" grade cars on the road on singapore is enormous. But how many of them actually spend time on the track or even, do some street racing :dunno:

The number of SUV on Singapore road is unthinkable. But how many of their owners actually take their SUV off-road? Malaysian car theives simply love singaporean SUV, simply wonderfull off-road capable cars that are nv taken off-road. Offering excellent "after-market" value!!! :sweat:

Ops, a little OT here, we are toking about not been able to shooting at the lowest possible resolution on a highly capable dSLR.

I tried that before, but I feel the images came out as if they were pixelated (I don't know
how to describe though) I shoot the same scene with 8MP and 4MP(?), then in PC they
were zoomed to fit my laptop window, quality are different.

colour said:
Stopping being so selfish. Stupid question or not is not for you to comment. Forum is a free place open for everyone. All I ask is for photo taken is low resolution and high resolution and how is the effect and to share experience. Some had posted me useful comment. I appreicate these kind people. Some are getting overboard, arrogant, give sacastic remarks and even made personal attack. Not necessary at all.:dunno:
I support you. I also met people who was very fiery and busybody in this forum, whom I avoided him in HWZ by coming here and he continued irritating me:devil: , then I ignored him.

colour said:
I be going oversea for a week and wil be bringing along two CF card of 1 giga size each. I just brought a canon 30D and had not really try out the camera yet. If I set my picture quality to Large (fine), I can take around 200plus picture. I don't require to enlagre the photo I take and properly will only print out a few that I likes and the rest will be store insde CDs. Thought of setting my picture quality mode to Medium and Small modes to gain increase in the number of shots. ( Taking into consideration that I not able to find computer facilites to download my shots from my CF cards into CDs over there). Anyone had try setting the picture quality mode to the least memory consuming, that is the small mode? How is the picuture quality compare to the photo taken in Large mode setting?
best to shoot raw, if camera permits raw+ small jpegs will be the best.

colour said:
I be going oversea for a week and wil be bringing along two CF card of 1 giga size each. I just brought a canon 30D and had not really try out the camera yet. If I set my picture quality to Large (fine), I can take around 200plus picture. I don't require to enlagre the photo I take and properly will only print out a few that I likes and the rest will be store insde CDs. Thought of setting my picture quality mode to Medium and Small modes to gain increase in the number of shots. ( Taking into consideration that I not able to find computer facilites to download my shots from my CF cards into CDs over there). Anyone had try setting the picture quality mode to the least memory consuming, that is the small mode? How is the picuture quality compare to the photo taken in Large mode setting?

As mentioned by those above, never skimp on image quality because not everytime the lighting for a scenary or those rare precious moment will repeat itself. If I were you, I will shoot Raw format so that I can do adjustment to the image if I happened to screwed up the WB. I will also bring my notebook along with some blank DVD-R disc.;)

End of the day, why dont u try shooting with all 4 or more pic quality level. See which is the quality that you can live with? If you can live with the lowest possible resolution, than shoot at that resolution level. Different ppl have different expectation of pic quality.
Honestly, between the lowest and highest resolultion level, i will prefer the highest. Between jpg and raw, i prefer raw. The ability to shoot in raw is one of the main drivers for mi to invest in a dSLR system

Status
Not open for further replies.