Seeking advice for a terminally ill kid

It is indeed sad that your colleague's child is so ill but I feel that she is in the best of hands. Obviously, it is a complicated illness to have to be transferred from one tertiary center (KKWCH) to NUH Paediatric dept. I am sure that the Doctors are trying their best round the clock to diagnose the cause of the fever.

Fever is a symptom of an underlying disease. They are usually due to infections, be it viral or bacteria. However, some childhood cancers can present as undiagnosed fevers. Doctors will perform blood tests to determine if it is a viral or bacterial infection by looking at the white blood counts and other blood parameters. They will also check the child's urine and sometimes even spinal fluid to determine if the cause is due to urinary tract infection or meningitis (infection of the brain coverings). By now I am sure the doctors will have performed all these test.

Tertiary centres are manned by many levels of doctors, some are junior but every patient will be looked after by a consultant. Please get your colleague to speak to the consultants as the junior doctors may not be in a position to explain everything adequately.

I hope and pray that she will recover soon and completely.

Sound like a infection from an unknown virus.

Did the doctor do a blood test to check sign of virus infection ?

I heard NUH have too many inexperiences doctors. For this kind of rare virus infection, you need to find the best or most experience doctor.

The NUH environment is also not clean. Last time, the news report some patients get infection from virus after getting treatment there.

There was also a case where a SAF soldier with leg pain later die at NUH because doctor cannot find out what is wrong with him. He have a rare infection at the leg which spread all over his body. The doctor there thought he want to keng.

Change hospital is the best option.

Well, with all the inexperienced doctor, there comes a batch of professors and consultant level doctors, who are teaching them. In fact NUH is the place where one might have the best chance of getting diagnosed. Just have to make sure that the correct doctors are concerned with this case.

Also, every hospital has MRSA wards and hospital acquired infections happens in all hospitals too, not only limited to NUH.

Prayers sent for a speedy and full recovery for the little one...

So sad to read this... hope the child gets well soon.

Please go get second and third opinion and don't go running around to miracle workers or "divine" help. Your friend is most likely going to get up converted to a religion he is coerced in to joining or worse paying out monies for quack cures. Saying this because he is desperate, he will believe and swallow anything that comes along.

Science and medicine is the answer not "miracle" cures.

If Western medicine doesn't work ............ try TCM........ :)

Science and medicine can only do so much for you the extent of which is pretty limited as evidently shown in TS experience. NO HONEST and practical doctor will tell you medical science is THE CURE, coz there are alot of unknowns which remains a mystery till today.

Do note i am not asking the parents to withdraw medical help. They can continue and seek other ways. Not asking them to go for some hocus pokus black magic ritual. And may i underscore there is no money involved here. I mean for TS there is no harm trying nothing for him to lose since they have tried all means and the situation is outta their hands, just the amount of time spent to visit the church...which otherwise could have been spent worrying and being anxious over the child's condition. Didnt really tell them its a must go but just an option available to them if they are one bit intrested in it.

I dont mean to get into any kinda debate here just voicing out my opinions

Like everyone i pray & hope the best for the child and family that they emerge from this ordeal victorious

Cheers

Please go get second and third opinion and don't go running around to miracle workers or "divine" help. Your friend is most likely going to get up converted to a religion he is coerced in to joining or worse paying out monies for quack cures. Saying this because he is desperate, he will believe and swallow anything that comes along.

Science and medicine is the answer not "miracle" cures.

I will only say to TS.... check on the church and google ISA Rony Tan if u really want to recommend to your friend this "miracle cure"

Last edited: