second camera for events??

somehow, if i read correctly, it doesn't seem TS is concern about budget, he's more concern about m43 (OMD) capability to cover events and for travel, if that's the case, would say yes, OMD is capable (IQ & low ISO) enough. There's quite a few excellent lenses now, most complete amongst mirrorless, additional battery grip for functions, and flash options. though OMD would not match C-AF of DSLR, Single-AF is very good though, matching DSLR. You can even use OMD+prime as backup to D90+17-50 for events, won't break you neck certainly with it. Of course if budget constrain, stick with nikon

I think it would be more of a situation whereby if you get a spare body or a m43, will your current body be put to collect dust or vice versa? If yes then don't get a spare.. Definitely not making your moneys worth especially if you're a hobbyist..

Im a hobbyist but im doing paid assignments during weekends....
That's the reason why i need a second camera for my event shoots.....

if budget is not a concern, the OMD will definitely be a very adequate 2nd camera.

image quality is probably top of the m4/3 cameras to date

body is weather sealed and operation is blazing fast.

with your nikon + 17-50, you can pair the OMD with a 75 1.8 for portraits or a 9-18 for wide angle depending on needs.

plus point of using m4/3 is you have a much more fun/enjoyable set up to play with for pleasure and short trips

actually ur wrong ..

if ur a business owner, it makes no sense at all to get another system

on the other hand as a hobbyist, do whatever ur happy with your $$
can the omd or other 4/3 system do the job? of cos yes, all camera is so advance now

that is if budget is allowed. then u can do whatever u are happy with your $$$. Cos having 2 system can easily blow the budget up to $5k or more and worst still cannot interchange lens with each body (unless you want to shoot MF all the way).

since as a hobbist i doubt TS is earning much from photography, so keep setup simple, stick to one system instead of two.

unless TS is shooting alot of jobs and requires 2 separate system (for whatever purpose - in business, some sense makes sense to some, some dun make sense to others, but I am with you, even if i am in biz, i will also stick to one system) then go ahead. But if its just one or two off, forget it.

Last edited:

u have paid assignments every weekend?

have u done a ROI calculation of keeping 2 system and how long u can get back your investment?

dont get confused between 2nd camera (body) and 2nd system

anyway its your $$$ to decide what to do in the end

if you feel you are able to justify for the need (and money spent) of a M43 to use during your weekend assignments then go for it.

haven't owned or used a M43 personally so I shall refrain from commenting on its capabilities. though if you are doing a paid assignment then it may not look so well with the person hiring you (due to the camera size), then again its up to your photos and skills at the end of the day to wow or make your customer satisfied. ;)

Just buy and feel happy. Happiness needs no justification. Satisfy the want. Got money to spend who cares. Salesman also happy, so is his boss, family, and the whole camera company. The happiness spreads and it's good karma.

If realized not suitable, can always sell on BNS and let the next buyer be happy too.

So nice to be like you, got money.

For those with not enough money, have to earn some, so ROI is very important in order to be happy end of the day.

M4/3 is the 'good enough' system.
You need to decide if IQ, esp high iso performance is good enough.
Check out pixel peeper, dpr, ImagingResource for 100% crop if you need.

If you stick with Nikon, I don't think you will get much smaller a Dslr (at most D3200 size)
But sticking to 1 brand means you have a backup that uses all your existing lenses.