Seagate 4.0 GB CompactFlash Photo Hard Drive - First Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
alucard said:
Interesting YewKay, seems like the microdrive is a good option considering the price per storage.

The more important test results would be in-camera write and read times. Since, the microdrives require more time powering up than solidstate devices, and accessing physical memory locations, the write and read times there would vary significantly. I would say, good enough for regular shoots, but tough to match at higher fps. Also, the reliability of microdrives is less compared to solidstate devices, and no I am not talking about subjecting the drive to physical pain. ;p The microdrives have moving mechanical parts, which are bound to fail over time due to wear and tear. But, the solidstate devices have no such problems (the dealers confidently give lifetime warranty ;) ), and in the longer run serve you better.

Well, I guess it is good enough to last 2 to 3 years, so don't mind changing to a higher capacity after that :) Anyway I have a 340MB Microdrive which is still working after 7 years.... humm.....

alucard said:
Interesting YewKay, seems like the microdrive is a good option considering the price per storage.

The more important test results would be in-camera write and read times. Since, the microdrives require more time powering up than solidstate devices, and accessing physical memory locations, the write and read times there would vary significantly. I would say, good enough for regular shoots, but tough to match at higher fps. Also, the reliability of microdrives is less compared to solidstate devices, and no I am not talking about subjecting the drive to physical pain. ;p The microdrives have moving mechanical parts, which are bound to fail over time due to wear and tear. But, the solidstate devices have no such problems (the dealers confidently give lifetime warranty ;) ), and in the longer run serve you better.
at 1/4 the price ($/GB). with 1 year warranty, I can buy 1 MD each year after the warranty expired and have the latest and fastest MD, with probably bigger capacity at the same price.

Remember that hard disk prices have not changed much over the years but the capacity has been increasing. :D :cheers: ash.

lightning said:
Well, I guess it is good enough to last 2 to 3 years, so don't mind changing to a higher capacity after that :) Anyway I have a 340MB Microdrive which is still working after 7 years.... humm.....

wow, good for you. I am not sure what the humm stands for, but there are people in this world who have lived upto the age of 120. ;)

YYK - abit OT here, but any idea how is the performance when used with a PDA?
Where can I buy this Seagate drive?
:sweat: :embrass:

icarus said:
YYK - abit OT here, but any idea how is the performance when used with a PDA?
Where can I buy this Seagate drive?
:sweat: :embrass:
PDA ah.. :think: hard to find any PDAs that use CF card liao leh.... if i can get hold of one I'll PM you..

yanyewkay said:
PDA ah.. :think: hard to find any PDAs that use CF card liao leh.... if i can get hold of one I'll PM you..

I using hx4700, got dual CF and SD :)

icarus said:
I using hx4700, got dual CF and SD :)

:cheers: Quite rare to find other hx4700 users. But using a microdrive on a PDA would be quite killer for the batt life no? :dunno:

alucard said:
wow, good for you. I am not sure what the humm stands for, but there are people in this world who have lived upto the age of 120. ;)

well, the humm is for wondering when it is going to give up on me :)

burmesterhifi said:
Knowing that drops happen, Seagate built the ST1 Series with G-Force Protection, which protects the drive against shock by moving the
heads off the media when the device is powered off. Thus, during a drop, no parts make contact with each other inside the drive. G-Force
Protection makes any handheld device using ST1 drives more robust and more reliable as well.

Although CF is not 100% reliable (I have a dead CF card before), the chance of CF failure is definitely lower than MD because there are no moving parts in the CF.

When the last thing i ever want is a dead MD with 4GB worth of photo disappear, no way i will take the risk

yanyewkay said:
your 2210 is only good for GPS navigation :sticktong

:bsmilie:

thanks for the test, UK! my colleague is currently using the 8GB version for his 350D. so far, no complaints from him too. like u, he shot in jpgs. however, i tried the 4GB hitachi 'ripped from muvo' MD drives 2yrs ago when it was all the rage. yeah. true, its value for money (back then, 4GB CF cards will cost u ur kidney...). but, its pretty darn slow on my ex-300D and i was shooting RAW. looks like they've improved the tech in the last 2-3 yrs. :)

haha, everyone raise their concern when it comes to data storage and recovery. But the fact is few people do backup of their computer hard drives. Talk is always easy ... ... even in many corporate office, their backups are mostly outdated.

For many of us who shoot for casual rather than professionals, I can still afford to lose my pictures. But if you are a FL for weddings and events, you better use choose your equipments based on highest reliability.

Wai said:
Although CF is not 100% reliable (I have a dead CF card before), the chance of CF failure is definitely lower than MD because there are no moving parts in the CF.

When the last thing i ever want is a dead MD with 4GB worth of photo disappear, no way i will take the risk

burmesterhifi said:
haha, everyone raise their concern when it comes to data storage and recovery. But the fact is few people do backup of their computer hard drives. Talk is always easy ... ... even in many corporate office, their backups are mostly outdated.

Yah...luckily both my server and camera got RAID 1 for storage

1D MKII got dual slots and can write to both cards at the same time :D

yanyewkay said:
at 1/4 the price ($/GB). with 1 year warranty, I can buy 1 MD each year after the warranty expired and have the latest and fastest MD, with probably bigger capacity at the same price.

Remember that hard disk prices have not changed much over the years but the capacity has been increasing. :D :cheers: ash.

Well, I really don't understand how you can have a new MD after warranty expired? Sell old one and buy a new one? Or are you saying that since the cost is 1/4 per GB, you just go buy another new one?

You are absolutely correct, MD is meaningfully cheaper than Flash Memory, but that is only part of the equation. With moving parts, it is absolutely more prome to failure. When it failed, and you have data in it, or you are in the middle of a shoot, no amount of warranty or cost per GB is going to do you any good.

I am not saying flash memory does not fail, but it is must less likely to fail. The game of probability is definately on the side of flash memory.

I'm puzzled. when everyone talks about MD "failure". What kind of "failure" are we talking about? Could we be more specific and narrow down to some form of failure instead of a broad spectrum of 'failures'.

yanyewkay said:
I'm puzzled. when everyone talks about MD "failure". What kind of "failure" are we talking about? Could we be more specific and narrow down to some form of failure instead of a broad spectrum of 'failures'.
Failure means 2 things to me.

1) When I loose any data.

2) When it does not work as it is suppose to, specifically and especially when I am shooting.

Why it fails is irrevelent to me. If and when it fails, it failed.

ok. lets see. Who has a broken Microdrive and lost his/her data please raise his/her voice here.

Anyone? We need statistics to determine something here.

hifisiao said:
ok. lets see. Who has a broken Microdrive and lost his/her data please raise his/her voice here.

Anyone? We need statistics to determine something here.
I did. Once with an IBM 1 GB MD.

However, if there are moving parts, the likihood that it will fail is definately higher than those without moving parts.

It's a higher risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.