Sea Goddess MaZu

Skull91

Sep 10, 2010
Hi, all this is my first time posting here. Really hope to have feedback either good or bad so to improve myself further. Thank in advance.

1.in what area is critique to be sought?
Kindly feedback on the composition, exposure and the technical execution of the shot. Did some post processing in bightness, contrast.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I just wanted viewers to "enjoy" the picture

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was taken at mid afternoon.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Went to Mazu island China,this was the icon on the island, i like this picture because of the skies showing good depth in the picture and feeling the power of MaZu。

Please dont hesitate to give me your honest feedback and thank you!

sea goddess mazu by Skull91

- Please go easy on the clarity bar (if you are using LR), the halo is appearing on the statue.

- At the bottom left of the frame, not sure what it is, but sure is distracting to me. I would probably crop/clone it off.

- Not sure if the "Rule of Thirds" would apply here as I would prefer "see" what the MaZu was looking at. (as in giving the statue more space in the right side of the frame). Because your title mentioned "Sea Goddess" I don't see the Sea around, I thot having MaZu look at the see may be a better composition. (btw, I've not been there before, so I really have no clue if she's looking at the sea or not or if the sea exists there)

- Also, is the picture abit underexposed? I feel that it's abit dark esp around the trees. (I'm using an uncalibrated laptop, so may not be the case on calibrated ones)

$0.02 from a newbie :)

btw, I'm kinda curious on why you select f2.8 for this shot...if you wanted more depth, I thought using a smaller aperture of ~f8 would be better?

Last edited:
TS, are you using HDR on this? I ask because I see certain parts of the sky is actually very dark, and you see this halo around the statue. You need to go easy on the sliders.

And this is probably not the best angle to take a picture of this statue. The perspective distortion made the base of the statue too prominent in the picture, and that base is not a very interesting one.

TS, are you using HDR on this? I ask because I see certain parts of the sky is actually very dark, and you see this halo around the statue. You need to go easy on the sliders.

And this is probably not the best angle to take a picture of this statue. The perspective distortion made the base of the statue too prominent in the picture, and that base is not a very interesting one.

I did not use HDR, i use photoshop to make the sky looks deeper blue, . It my first time trying on it, also not too sure what to look out. Thank for the feedback i will try again for a better picture.:)