SEA Aquarium Lens Recommendation

Last edited:
You don't need flash or LED lights, the tanks are more than sufficiently lit!

Check out this album, all shot using ambient light ---> S.E.A. Aquarium by SQ Photography

I used 35mm, 100L and 135L, alternatively 24-70 & 70-200 should do the job too.

Most important thing, remember to align your camera angle perpendicular to the glass to avoid severe optical diffraction (basically blur, distorted images).

great photos man!

Maybe I will ask in another manner. For those who have been to the SEA aquarium, what is the working space like? How big are the fish tanks? How wide are the corridors? Are the fishes big or small? Thanks. I know 24-70mm is a safe range. So deciding on the 2nd lens.

Thanks Edwin. Those are nice images.

Maybe I will ask in another manner. For those who have been to the SEA aquarium, what is the working space like? How big are the fish tanks? How wide are the corridors? Are the fishes big or small? Thanks. I know 24-70mm is a safe range. So deciding on the 2nd lens.

There is enough space for most focal length but the crowd will mostly be stuck near the tank. You will have to work close to the tank. Size of the fishes ranges from 1-2 inches to as big as ~5-6ft++.

Bring along a macro lens if you have it.

Thanks Edwin. Those are nice images.

Can be better. My shots are taken with a 450D. So the lighting there is not optimum for me to work without flash. Furthermore, I'm used to using flash for aquatic shots. Flash can also help to reduce reflections if angled properly.

Last edited:
Have fun and not to worry about what equipments to bring
Shots done with a G15 without using flash
8465556474_e018c23b43_z.jpg

8465561662_dd2083be0d_z.jpg

8465566070_dd5b1587e5_z.jpg

I have 10 lenses. Mainly 2.8 n 1.4 so I am well covered. I suspected that i need CPL filter so thanks for confirming that.
I need to know What focal length are feasible. Is above 70mm too long? Is 14-24 too wide, ....is 105 macro useful? Plan to only bring 2 lens.

Headache of having too many lens. I'm glade that i only have half of it that covers most range and condition. My pick would be 24-70mm.

Last edited:
shelomoh said:

There is ample space. Just hv to be patient to get the right spots, especially for the smaller reef tanks. 24-70 f2.8 n 100m f2.8 macro shd suffice for a FF. As for avoiding reflections, i carefully placed my lens up against the glass and shot away. That took care of any reflections and CPL was not required but composition will be limited tho. Up the ISO as high as possible to get higher shutter speed. Cos u cant really pan when the lens is up against the glass and the fishes swim pretty darn fast. And no flash please. Dont wanna blind the fishes ya!

My 2 cents worth. Have fun!

Can be better. My shots are taken with a 450D. So the lighting there is not optimum for me to work without flash. Furthermore, I'm used to using flash for aquatic shots. Flash can also help to reduce reflections if angled properly.

Can you elaborate a bit more about angling the flash?

Can you elaborate a bit more about angling the flash?

That requires lots of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it within few shots or even with 1 shot.

I believe you already know that having a flash mounted on the camera, you will end up with reflection of yourself and the flash in your shots.

I shall not go off topic and talk about other kinds of tanks/conditions. For the tanks at S.E.A, what I do is I hold the flash with my arm stretched out above my camera and tilt it about 30-60deg downwards/sideways. Some shots I will hold the flash on the arcylic or even hold it above the water over the arcylic. You will have to gauge at what angle will the light reflect back towards you and avoid that angle so that you can cut down the reflections from the front of the tank or even totally avoid the reflections in front of the tank.

There is some reflection of the flash for the below shot. Take a look at the angle of the shadow casted for the silverish fish (Hydrocynus goliath aka Goliath African Tiger Fish). You will get what I mean. The flash was placed somewhere above the "flare" area.

IMG_9607 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

A better example will be this shot with the shadow below the fish at an angle without any reflection off the arcylic:

IMG_9505 by Edwin Tan (Schmike), on Flickr

Last edited:
That requires lots of trial and error. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it within few shots or even with 1 shot.

I believe you already know that having a flash mounted on the camera, you will end up with reflection of yourself and the flash in your shots.

I shall not go off topic and talk about other kinds of tanks/conditions. For the tanks at S.E.A, what I do is I hold the flash with my arm stretched out above my camera and tilt it about 30-60deg downwards/sideways. Some shots I will hold the flash on the arcylic or even hold it above the water over the arcylic. You will have to gauge at what angle will the light reflect back towards you and avoid that angle so that you can cut down the reflections from the front of the tank or even totally avoid the reflections in front of the tank.

There is some reflection of the flash for the below shot. Take a look at the angle of the shadow casted for the silverish fish (Hydrocynus goliath aka Goliath African Tiger Fish). You will get what I mean. The flash was placed somewhere above the "flare" area.

Thanks for the reply.

Given the light lost due to reflection/defraction/etc... do you use TTL metering or manual exposure?

Thanks for the reply.

Given the light lost due to reflection/defraction/etc... do you use TTL metering or manual exposure?

Manual.

Hi bros, are we allowed to bring tripod/monopod into the aquarium? Thanks.

Hi all! Just got back from my first visit to the SEA Aquarium today with my 6D and 24-105. Bump up your ISO and get the brightest lens you have. AF Assist Lights are pretty irritating, especially to other photographers, so I usually turn mine off. Don't know if they're allowed, but no tripods or monopods please (Barely ample walking room near to the smaller tanks). Stray lights from clamoring tourists' handphones, AF Assist lights and on-camera flashes was a problem. The crowd was pretty bad today. :p Be prepared to take quick shots from awkward angles.

Shot in P mode with +2/3, ISO to auto (limited to 25600). No filters.

a5c19eebf600400689978416e0c203cf.JPEG

cf23d58bf2f247c0aa171a3d1207c5f4.JPEG

c535c63457a74968b38e76b8220c5b76.JPEG

Last edited:
I was at the aquarium recently and IIRC flash photography is not allowed. Not sure if its a blanket ban on all the exhibits or just certain ones, like the dolphins.

I was at the aquarium recently and IIRC flash photography is not allowed. Not sure if its a blanket ban on all the exhibits or just certain ones, like the dolphins.

Only for some exhibit flash photography is not allowed..
There will have signboards and sometimes staff standing there to ensure..

:)