SE Asia mountains that are worth the climb for a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take your pick HERE. Indonesia have lots of volcanic mountains to climb. I've always been fascinated by Mount Kerinci, the highest volcano peak in Indonesia and Sumatra. Near to Mount Kerinci, there is Gunung Tujuh (Seven Mountain) which has the highest lake in S.E.A. Not much photograph of Mount Kerinci and Gunung Tujuh.
Nice to see mountain thread...
i've been up Mt Kerinchi when i was in much younger:)....took some shots with a film point n shoot, not sure where i put the photos, if i can dig up 1 or 2 will scan and post, i remember a few quite stunning pictures. My view is that Kerinchi is tougher then mt Ophir, Kinabalu, Trusmadi. If i recall there were close to 30 in our group and only 7 made it to the summit and vegetation was very very thick before it got the stony part near the summit. The climb was very wet and there was no laban rata, or sayat-sayat to seek refuge, all we had was the dome tents we carried..

This was back then in the 90s....not sure about the state of the mountain or paths on it now...if i go up there again im sure not going to lug a dslr up myself..:)

Do share which mountains in SE Asia have scenes that are worth the climb, and more importantly, worth the pain of packing photography equipment (define: DSLR, two lenses and a tripod, minimum) along.

whether you climb it or not, there will always be something to shoot, if you walk around enough. this isn't about squeezing a shot out of ONE scene, it's multiple.

bromo is quite famous, among shooters as well. here's a link to get some ideas. also quite often some group arranged a photo trip to this mountain. never been there before but its on the checklist plan for next year with my club.

Glad to see so many trekking enthusiast that don't mind lugging all the equipment up!

Interesting places that TS can consider:
1) Rinjani (Indonesia) > great summit view
2) Mount Apo (Philippines) > highest peak in Philippines
3) Gunung Stong (Malaysia) > not much at the summit but interesting waterfall and caving shots
4) Fan Si Pan (Vietnam) > view on summit is very dependent on weather. high tendency for white out but is gorgeous if clear. but you get to see/take lots of village/locals shots. Like mini Nepal ;)

have fun and protect your equipement! :D

i suggest one
5) bukit panorama (easy, 300m high only) and rainbow falls (an hr in 4wd and another hr trek along the river stream), at sg lembing off kuantan. there is local guesthouse in sg lembing town.

semeru, it slightly tougher and colder than rinjani, but the view of rinjani lake is nicer. semeru can see smoke and all though.

Last edited:
for mountains in Indonesia I suggest You go to mount rinjani, mount bromo-semeru (in 1 mountains), and mount ijen. for the scenery the best is in mount bromo. if you go to mount bromo you can also visiting mount ijen (5-7 hour driving from mount bromo). at both of that mountains you will see a beautiful sunrise. the interesting point of mount ijen is a sulphur mining on the crater..
sorry can't give you some sample photo from that 3 mountains, I left almost all of my photostocks in Indonesia..

i suggest one
5) bukit panorama (easy, 300m high only) and rainbow falls (an hr in 4wd and another hr trek along the river stream), at sg lembing off kuantan. there is local guesthouse in sg lembing town.

i second sg lembing :thumbsup: ,rainbow waterfall not quite a tough climb like kerinci,semeru,rinjani but a relatively easy trek for all ages.Go early to avoid disappointment,ideal time to catch the rainbow would be around 8.00-9.30am. Do also check out sungei pandan waterfalls also in sg. lembing,10mins walk from the park's carpark ;p

#1 rainbow @ rainbow waterfalls
4120171432_8fefcc47d8_o.jpg

#2 main fall of rainbow waterfalls at about 100m tall
4119438351_0e6cf9ecb9_o.jpg

#3 sg pandan waterfall
4120228188_f37c28bfc3.jpg

hey guys i'm quite interested in scalling some mountains around asia... just wondering how did you guys manage to get the travelling logistics done? was it through a tour or free-and-easy backpacking?
any recommendations or online guides that could point me to the right direction? Thanks! :)

I'd really like to go on a self-backpacking trip up an asian mountain but i have very little experience esp. in Indonesia.

I climbed Mt. Kerinci in mid June this year. Stunning views on the summit (the volcano was eruption when we reached the summit). It was a tough 2-day climb, requiring camping for the night. VERY thick vegetation below 3000m but rich in wildlife, especially birds. Photography wise, I must say bringing a DSLR along will be a heavy burden for the climb, though you can always hire a porter.

Below are some shots from my climb, taken with Nikon D50:

3650540716_2237534d21_o.jpg

3649739719_eaee68022a_o.jpg

3650541226_5e91b56869_o.jpg

3649739125_cc5e141060_o.jpg

3650541432_9c3fc8a0d5_o.jpg

Last edited:
me 3! planning to go Mt Kinabalu next year may. :)

Planning to climb Fansipan in Mar 2010. We still have 2 more space, any experienced hiker interested, can PM me for more details. Don't worry that you are the only female or male :)

Planning to climb Fansipan in Mar 2010. We still have 2 more space, any experienced hiker interested, can PM me for more details. Don't worry that you are the only female or male :)

Sound interesting, but mar is not a good timing for me.

btw, i'm a newbie in hiking. :sweatsm:

hi there,
Mount Semeru (or Mahameru). this is the highest mountain in Java and probably one of the most difficult mountain to be climbed (after or before Mt Rinjani).
if you want to take photo (more than climbing). you should try Mount Bromo. my cousing told me that, there is a way to go up using the other route (not-the commercialized one). he told me that it was really really very very nice.
too bad, no time to climb mountain now.

other than that, you can try Phuke Deng (did I spell it correctly?). It is located in Thailand (about 7-8 hours journey from Bangkok). It is a flat top mountain and you can explore everything within one day. there is this magnificent spot (at the other end of the mountain), a protruding rock with a tree at the end of a cliff. great sunset and sunrise.

Status
Not open for further replies.