Screw sticking out of lens

Tayzhixuan

Feb 15, 2014
Singapore
138c4ea26885d31462da56b6a18dd257_zps74bfb40a.jpg
Just bought a second hand AF-S Nikkor 35mm F1.8
And I just saw a screw that is poking out from underneath the mounting ring.
And it obstructs smooth sliding of the lens into the body mounting hole.
Any advice? I can't seem to screw it back in.

Last edited:
Taken apart and re-assembled wrongly or with the wrong part.
If you cannot even mount it on the camera body, can try return to seller and ask for your money back.

before you try to do anything funny like filing down the screw,
just let you know I go and double check all my Nikon lenses, including the $2K++ pro lenses, and third party Nikon mount lenses, all are the same with a screw sticking out.

All my nikon lenses also have the same screw that sticks out.

All my nikon lenses also have the same screw that sticks out.

before you try to do anything funny like filing down the screw,
just let you know I go and double check all my Nikon lenses, including the $2K++ pro lenses, and third party Nikon mount lenses, all are the same with a screw sticking out.

But idk why, the lens does not exactly fit when I match the two white dots. I must fiddle with the lens, tilt here tilt there and stuff until it sits nicely into the mounting hole then I can turn the lens into the position.
And even when I turn, it isn't smooth too. It's like very slow and rough. Idk whether it's nikon's body made to be like this or the lens.
Cuz I just switched to nikon today.
I've been using Pentax for the past few years.

All Nikon lenses have that screw.

1) That screw doesn't interfere with the mounting of the lens. :)

2) If you find it hard to rotate the lens in its mount, it is a normal thing. Some mounts are tighter than others, my D700 has the snuggest mount, it is still very tight till now when I compare it to my other Nikon cameras. I can feel the so called roughness when I turn the lens, actually the roughness that is felt is the from the lens electronic pins sliding on the contact block on the camera lens mount. Nothing to worry about. ;)

3) What you can do to minimize the friction is to clean up the contact areas of the lens mount and the camera mount. I find that well used lenses and cameras usually have sticky dirt on the contact areas of the mounts.

4) Also check your camera & lens mount for wear, If you see brass on the lens mount it means it is worn.

5) When you mount the lens, line up the dot and have the lens line up as straight as possible to the body. The tolerance where the lens will slide into the camera mount is minimal. I find that by pressing the lens locking pin down helps a lot in mounting the lens as the lens doesn't gets pushed out by the lens locking pin and the AF screw drive head. Also by doing this I get longer life on my lens mount. Once the lens pops in and have seated, just grasp the lens and turn, while still pressing down on the lens locking pin. You may need to turn the lens a little bit forward or backward to make sure the lens locking pin is fully engaged, otherwise the AF will not work.