Scott Kelby jumped ship

Ha ha, interesting analogy, a mistress. To change job or use 2 systems is fine, but when a person start to criticize his old parents that has been taking care of him all these years and start to compare and say how good the new step parents are, that person has lost some of his morals, integrity and gratitude. These are not casual comments as he meant to publicize them and it is wholly commercial. Did he care about the feelings of the legions of Nikon fans? Skin tone, great!

Not sure how you consider Nikon as his father "that has been taking care of him all these years and start to compare and say how good the new step parents" and how this ties into "his morals, integrity and gratitude". You may want to elaborate how Nikon has become your father.

It was wholly a business deal and there is nothing non filial or immoral to change brand when circumstances call for it. I use Nikon and stuck with Nikon for the past 28 years because of Nikon's strategy to keep backwards compatibility hence tying us into the eco system. Could I have taken the same photos I did with Canon, Minolta, Olympus and Pentax equipment? Answer is yes, but I would have to deal with all my old lenses becoming useless in one go, and upgrading from FD to EOS or MD to AF would have to be that much more painful as i will need to get the whole set. Could I have taken the same photos with Leica or Contax? No, cause I cannot afford these equipment.

In fact for many years I'd been steering friends towards Canon for its superior AF performance. In recent years it is back to Nikon for AF and sensor performance.

My brother in laws runs a successful photo business based on Nikon equipment. He's in discussion with Sony about possible endorsement deals and that's purely business. There should be nothing emotional about our equipment, they are simply tools.

Last edited:
Not sure how you consider Nikon as his father "that has been taking care of him all these years and start to compare and say how good the new step parents" and how this ties into "his morals, integrity and gratitude". You may want to elaborate how Nikon has become your father.

It was wholly a business deal and there is nothing non filial or immoral to change brand when circumstances call for it. I use Nikon and stuck with Nikon for the past 28 years because of Nikon's strategy to keep backwards compatibility hence tying us into the eco system. Could I have taken the same photos I did with Canon, Minolta, Olympus and Pentax equipment? Answer is yes, but I would have to deal with all my old lenses becoming useless in one go, and upgrading from FD to EOS or MD to AF would have to be that much more painful as i will need to get the whole set. Could I have taken the same photos with Leica or Contax? No, cause I cannot afford these equipment.

In fact for many years I'd been steering friends towards Canon for its superior AF performance. In recent years it is back to Nikon for AF and sensor performance.

My brother in laws runs a successful photo business based on Nikon equipment. He's in discussion with Sony about possible endorsement deals and that's purely business. There should be nothing emotional about our equipment, they are simply tools.

If you use different brands of camera equipment or have contracts with different manufacturers nobody would care two hoots about it. But if you start disparaging what has been your source of livelihood and you have followers, it is a different story. Like I don't care which religion you subscribe to, but if you are the Pope and you convert and start to criticize the Catholic faith, it is a different story. Not a good analogy but I hope you get what I mean.

If you use different brands of camera equipment or have contracts with different manufacturers nobody would care two hoots about it. But if you start disparaging what has been your source of livelihood and you have followers, it is a different story. Like I don't care which religion you subscribe to, but if you are the Pope and you convert and start to criticize the Catholic faith, it is a different story. Not a good analogy but I hope you get what I mean.

It's a tool. Not a religion.