Science - The Light and Dark of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tltan

Apr 18, 2005
www.flickr.com
Hi,

shot this of a friend at work in the same field.

396222385_823e02922c.jpg

Please critique.

Thanks,
tltan

Pretty interesting shot;

Please explain the title though, unless you're being very literal here, I don't understand it! =D

i like it. ;)

Thanks borisi

Pretty interesting shot;

Please explain the title though, unless you're being very literal here, I don't understand it! =D

Hmmz. Ok. I mean it being literal as well as sublimally.

Literal sense - The lighter left side (due to light from the laminar flow hood) contrasting to the darker right side as the room light was turned off to create the slow sync effect seen here by flash.

Sublimally, Science has always proven controversial. Will we eventually see the light of all the cloning experiments, or will it bring us to the darkness of mankind downfall due to our inquisitiveness? Thats for all to see.

However, that said, science is still important for the well being of all mankind. Too extreme might not be good though. =)

Hope that answers.

Regards,
tltan

Hmmz. Ok. I mean it being literal as well as sublimally.

Literal sense - The lighter left side (due to light from the laminar flow hood) contrasting to the darker right side as the room light was turned off to create the slow sync effect seen here by flash.

Sublimally, Science has always proven controversial. Will we eventually see the light of all the cloning experiments, or will it bring us to the darkness of mankind downfall due to our inquisitiveness? Thats for all to see.

However, that said, science is still important for the well being of all mankind. Too extreme might not be good though. =)

Hope that answers.

Regards,
tltan
Not really, what I meant would be; other than literally, how does your photo actually show the light and dark of science?

Would be more meaningful, if you get what I mean.. To hold something that you perceive as "light" on the brighter side, and something that you perceive as "dark" on the other side, so it can become more than a picture with light and dark areas. But of course, to each his own, just a friendly suggestion!

Not really, what I meant would be; other than literally, how does your photo actually show the light and dark of science?

Would be more meaningful, if you get what I mean.. To hold something that you perceive as "light" on the brighter side, and something that you perceive as "dark" on the other side, so it can become more than a picture with light and dark areas. But of course, to each his own, just a friendly suggestion!

thanks for your suggestions. I explained what I was trying to say sublimally. To me, Science will either lead us to the Light or end us up at the Dark. =)

Will try what you say sometime. =)

Regards,
tltan

nice capture, except that I think it was unintended, eg the coloured pens in the pocket, which are dull in comparision. And so you just try to make a story froma photo. Maybe u can do a deliberate compistion to make better use of the light effects you have captured. Arrange something with all lighted stuff and some moving and some not. Think it can make a smashing picture.

And dont bother too much about the interpretation: there ought to be at least a thousand interpretations in a good picture. As long as you like it and, most importantly, you know and can say why, that is a good starting point.

underexposed i would have to say. i would suggest reading zone system for exposing whites (camera exposes them to make them look grey).

subject wise, i dont think the photo expresses anything substantial as yet. but the subject has potential. try different composition if you get another opportunity.

thanks.

interesting idea but the expression is a superficial one. the image of an implied scientist shaking a blue-liquid-filled test-tube does not relate to cloning experiment. it may be related to Science in general but doesn't say much about what Science is about from your point of view. there's a lack of elements in the picture to lead to further interpretations, it's quite simply someone holding a test-tube photographed with slow shutter effect.

underexposed i would have to say. i would suggest reading zone system for exposing whites (camera exposes them to make them look grey).

subject wise, i dont think the photo expresses anything substantial as yet. but the subject has potential. try different composition if you get another opportunity.

thanks.

nice capture, except that I think it was unintended, eg the coloured pens in the pocket, which are dull in comparision. And so you just try to make a story froma photo. Maybe u can do a deliberate compistion to make better use of the light effects you have captured. Arrange something with all lighted stuff and some moving and some not. Think it can make a smashing picture.

And dont bother too much about the interpretation: there ought to be at least a thousand interpretations in a good picture. As long as you like it and, most importantly, you know and can say why, that is a good starting point.

I like it very much. :)
but hmm ... the pens in the pocket, rather attention grabbing.

interesting idea but the expression is a superficial one. the image of an implied scientist shaking a blue-liquid-filled test-tube does not relate to cloning experiment. it may be related to Science in general but doesn't say much about what Science is about from your point of view. there's a lack of elements in the picture to lead to further interpretations, it's quite simply someone holding a test-tube photographed with slow shutter effect.

thanks for all the critiques. Will work to improve! :sweat: :p

This muz be Pritpal shaking his falcon tube bah... But I will prefer the right side to be more dark n mean in order to emphasize your caption. IMHO~~~ Lets go n shoot lei... But u organize, kee kee kee! :D

Thanks. I know why I like it. The pens were adjusted properly before taking. The picture was intended the way it was. I agree with you on arranging stuff and creating good pictures :thumbsup:

thanks.
Thanks. I can actually edit the white to be white coz I shot in RAW. However, given the circumstances and comparing the white Balance "correct" picture. I chose this over that. A white lab coat is not very appealing to me on picture somehow. Thanks for the critique!

I like it very much. :)
but hmm ... the pens in the pocket, rather attention grabbing.
Thanks. I agree with that. But the marker pens are very important part of a scientist Lab coat. =) Nevertheless, I agree that they are rather attention grabbing. Will work to improve that when i have the chance.

yeah you are right. =) I was trying slow shutter effect. Science doesnt mean cloning only though. Thanks!

This muz be Pritpal shaking his falcon tube bah... But I will prefer the right side to be more dark n mean in order to emphasize your caption. IMHO~~~ Lets go n shoot lei... But u organize, kee kee kee! :D
Yah lah. Luckily only shaking falcon. hahaha.
I didnt tune down the darkness as I wanted the details. Also, the bright part, the details of the lab coat is still there. Shoot ah. Got to wait I am on a hiatus from photography for a while. Got to concentrate on something more important for the next 2 months.

Regards,
tltan

Status
Not open for further replies.