Scary

That article header (and most of the comments below it) are needlessly insulting.

It's not my favourite sport, but I'm amazed at what they do -- precision manouevres underwater, upside down, holding their breath for long stretches, yet keeping in perfect synchronisation.

And yes, they have to do it all with the right (exaggerated) expressions. Like stage performers, they are pretty far from the audience, and in their case, judges. The expressions and gestures are meant to be seen from a distance. Photographed with a tele, they do look unnatural, plus the fact they're gasping for breath.

That said, I do find the routines they do BEFORE getting in the pool campy and (unintentionally?) hilarious. They aren't being scored for those either.

BTW, how would you feel about men participating? Discrimination in the Pool: Men Still Unequal at Olympics | The Jakarta Globe
Would be interesting, no?

I'm actually really happy the Egypt women's team could compete. Their culture usually frowns (to say the least) on women in tight swimwear in the public eye...

Rashkae said:
I know you're wishing I join.

No way! Your ripped muscular body is more suited to be splashed on an Abercrombie & Fitch signboard that's displayed around the world, than be seen for just a few hours at the Olympics

:bsmilie:

I was wondering about that. A little surprised when they came out. Glad that some things are changing :)

I'm actually really happy the Egypt women's team could compete. Their culture usually frowns (to say the least) on women in tight swimwear in the public eye...