scanning settings test

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTan

Mar 10, 2004
Abstract
who are slide users? After my recent disastrous slide scanning experience, decided to really look into the works of scanning.

Methods & Materials

Scanner and Slides, and no use of brain

Results

here's a normal scan (without autoexposure by scanner)
colour output: AbodeRGB

04_08040.jpg

here's a scan (WITH autoexposure by scanner)
colour output: sRGB

Auto04_08040.jpg

Discussion and Conclusion

of course i didn't keep the confounding factors consistent so it's hard to make a good judgement on how best to scan but what do u guys think?

I find that with autoexp on, the pic looks better but i cannot stand the colour cast.

I conclude, i suck at this, and i will try to get professional help.

Comments PLEASE!!!

Also, if i want to eventually use PS on it, should i keep the autoexp off?

DTan said:
Also, if i want to eventually use PS on it, should i keep the autoexp off?
Yes, you should. Auto settings have no idea what looks natural underwater, and will over-compensate, leading to the kind of yucky colour that you experienced. Best that you go with the original, and then adjust with PS. The only thing I would suggest is that you may want to adjust contrast and brightness level for scanning, but more likely than not, it will be unnecessary as this can be done much more effectively in PS itself too. Oh, one last thing: generally, it is much easier to correct underexposed rather than overexposed scans/digital images.

Hope this helps.

Thanks RSU.
So the way to go is to brainlessly scan it and put more effort during PS stage.

All right. Also how would u correct underexposed images?
And do u mean to say that when i scan the image, i should on compensate for exposure control. (and leave it at 0) or should i still (for underexposed images) turn up the bulb and scan at +2 exp.

Thanks Thanks.

hi dtan.. for me.. i will scan all photos or slides brainlessly (as wat u call it..)

coz i will still process them in PS..

DTan said:
Thanks RSU.
So the way to go is to brainlessly scan it and put more effort during PS stage.

All right. Also how would u correct underexposed images?
And do u mean to say that when i scan the image, i should on compensate for exposure control. (and leave it at 0) or should i still (for underexposed images) turn up the bulb and scan at +2 exp.

Thanks Thanks.
You should still leave it at 0 and use PS to do the adjustments. Generally, as long as you think that the slide is still usable (i.e. not too badly over or under exposed) and can therefore get a usable image in digital format, there would still be a lot that you can do using PS to improve the image, such is the power and versatility of the program (no, I do not work for Adobe!). For getting the proper exposure, you can use Image>Adjustments>Levels and adjust manually. Alternatively the Auto Levels or Auto Contrast usually gives you quite good results, but not always. There is also the Brightness/Contrast adjustment function. For very fine tuning of exposure, you can use the Curves function, which also allows you to adjust individual Red Green or Blue channels. Or for a quick fix for colour compensation, you can use the Color Balance function. I would not suggest that you use the Auto Colors function, for as in your scanner, it just cannot get its mind around what looks right for UW pics.

The following pics give you an idea of what PS can do. Note that some of the colour compensation on the "After" pic is actually a bit extreme, just to show you what is possible. You just have to trust your eyes when making the adjustments, and just play around with the program.

Taken with a P&S, no strobe -
Before:
37735293.jpg

After:
37735296.jpg

ooooohh.... thanks for ur informative ans.

Status
Not open for further replies.