SB-800 Speedlight Cycling Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ23

Jun 12, 2003
Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
to answer some queries on the cycling time with and without the battery pack, here's some test figures. Using Manual Full Power,

* about 6s with 4 x AA 2100mAh NiMH batteries
* about 4s with 5 x AA 2100mAh NiMH batteries

a 33% reduction in cycling time with addtional of just 1 AA.

That is fast considered only one addtional battery. Thank you for sharing the flash with us at SEED.

Comparing with an SB-80DX, with and without the SD-8A Batt pack, it's about the same then.

6 secs on manual full power, 4 x 2100mAh NiMh batts.
1-2 secs on manual full power, 6 x 2100mAh NiMh batts. (This does not include the 4 batts installed in the flash unit itself to power the electronics.)

Does the SB-800 use the same SD-8A batt pack for the 80DX?

finkster said:
Does the SB-800 use the same SD-8A batt pack for the 80DX?
yes...

AJ23, you got access to a SD8a? interested to know what the recycling time is like, with 11 AA batts. :sweat:

Larry said:
yes...

AJ23, you got access to a SD8a? interested to know what the recycling time is like, with 11 AA batts. :sweat:

Nope, got no access to a SD-8a, I am also very interested to know how the cycling time will be with 11 AA batts. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

But extrapolating from the test figures, I think we should be looking at 1 second or slightly below (my own estimation only) that for manual full power. :eek: :eek: :eek:

No need to buy Quantum battery packs liao. :p

All in all, initial impressions on the SB-800 is very good. Nikon has dropped the DX insignia, meaning that SB-800 is also for all the film bodies, not just limiting to digital bodies. But it's a little pricey though, it's now more expensive than the 550EX!

AJ23 said:
Nope, got no access to a SD-8a, I am also very interested to know how the cycling time will be with 11 AA batts. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

But extrapolating from the test figures, I think we should be looking at 1 second or slightly below that for manual full power. :eek: :eek: :eek:

All in all, initial impressions on the SB-800 is very good. Nikon has dropped the DX insignia, meaning that SB-800 is also for all the film bodies, not just limiting to digital bodies. But it's a little pricey though, it's now more expensive than the 550EX!

2s is really a cool recycle time for only 5 AA battery... ;) Thx for sharing the info... appreciate that!!

AJ23 said:
How much more expensive is it?

Does the wireless (D)TTL flash working with other than D2H? How about using SB-80DX as slave (or master)?

sk163 said:
2s is really a cool recycle time for only 5 AA battery... ;) Thx for sharing the info... appreciate that!!

total charging time is 4s, a reduction of 2s with just 1 AA. :)

I've got an SD-8A which I got those figures with my 80DX. Can try with your 800 one day....

Alternatively, just bring your 800 down to CP or anywhere that sells the SD-8A pack, ask to test it out, load in freshly charged batts and let her rip!

Let us know the results... :D

wibawa: The wireless i-TTL will only on D2H or D2 family of DSLRs. SB-80DX can work as slave, but only as manual slave. As for being a master, it will be a "dumb" master only. Will need 2 or more SB-800 to be able to use the wireless i-TTL.

Catalyst: I am already playing with it. :) Should be able to see more stock by the end of the week or next week. The price now should be ard S$660-680.

Now, only if there's a camera that works with it......

AJ23 said:

But extrapolating from the test figures, I think we should be looking at 1 second or slightly below (my own estimation only) that for manual full power. :eek: :eek: :eek:

:nono: :nono: :nono: Yes AJ23... you have access to a SD8A... cos I got one :bsmilie:

Let me know when we'll meet again, I'll bring it down to you... ;p

sykestang said:
:nono: :nono: :nono: Yes AJ23... you have access to a SD8A... cos I got one :bsmilie:

Let me know when we'll meet again, I'll bring it down to you... ;p

Woot, good. :) Tommorow can? More toys to play! :p

Wanna have a gathering tomorrow after work? Let's all bring flash and cam out to esplanade?

Who's game? Let's start a list...

1) espn

I'm darn interested in the SB-800 now. Anybody wants a 2nd hand SB-80DX? ;p

espn said:
Wanna have a gathering tomorrow after work? Let's all bring flash and cam out to esplanade?

Who's game? Let's start a list...

1) espn

I'm darn interested in the SB-800 now. Anybody wants a 2nd hand SB-80DX? ;p

espn... BUY BUY BUY!!!!

AJ23 said:
We all go shoot for u. :)

Sure... I'm serious... but no pay one, a volunteer job and I can take only one more photographer, actually did offered to Watcher, but he can't make it. So I thought of covering the whole event myself. But if you want, do give me a call, 6:00pm to 8:00pm at Toa Payoh, HDB Auditorium...

I'll get you a nice dinner at Crystal Jade Kitchen after that... but I need all the photos from you.

Ok? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.