SB-600 vs SB-800

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tetrode said:
Doesn't make sense leh - if the SB600 uses more energy than an SB800, then why would a set of Alkalines give you more shots on a SB600 than on a SB800?
My answer based on zenten's statement that I interpreted it as SB800 use more power than SB600. That's why SB600 give more shoots than SB800 :sweat: .

Cheers!

Regards,
Arto.

Tetrode said:
Err...No. The socket bypasses the electronics in the flash (that change the 6V from the internal batteries to 300V) and puts the 300V directly into the flash capacitor in the flash(hence the faster recycle rate).

The SD8a and Turbo put out that higher voltage (both have the booster electronics built into their cases instead) - that is why they use that HV bypass socket instead of going through the battery compartment like the Quantam/Underdog battery packs do.

And that is why the Quantam/Underdog battery packs are so much cheaper, bec they lack the electronics in them to convert the 6V to 300V(They are just larger capacity 6V batteries). These battery packs still rely on the HV boost electronics within the flash for the conversion (hence they don't improve on the recycle rather as significantly as the Turbo[1 sec] does). The SD8a and Turbo are both high voltage and high capacity packs.

300V low current is still lethal to someone who has a heart condition as it can cause fibrillation of the heart. Always be careful with HV even if the current is low.
This one I am not sure :sweat: . I need to RTFM again :sweat: . I always thought that SD8A is only battery case.

Thank you for the explanation. I must do my homework :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

When I bought my D70s, I decided on SB600....

Now a bit regret... I should have bought the SB800 instead..

Pain x2:bheart:

But anyway... SB600 still can as a remote flash:sweatsm:

erizai said:
When I bought my D70s, I decided on SB600....

Now a bit regret... I should have bought the SB800 instead..

Pain x2:bheart:

But anyway... SB600 still can as a remote flash:sweatsm:
I already warned most buyers, SB-800... some go the hard way to find out... :bsmilie:

Nevermind, sell me ur SB-600 cheap ;)

Yeh espn is correct and thanks to him I now have 2 SB800. :)
Anyway never regretted it a bit.
All potential SB600 buyers, suggest you save a bit more and get the SB800, the price difference is justified. The difference is not just in the flash output but the electronics they put inside the SB800.

espn said:
I already warned most buyers, SB-800... some go the hard way to find out... :bsmilie:

i would think that unless you want to do CLS with a D50 then get the SB800.

But here is an upgrade plan, buy the SB600 first use it untill you find that it is holding you back, then buy another SB800 and use the SB600 as a remote flash.

i have just used the su-4 feature with a fuji f10 where the f10's flash is the main flash, and sb800 light up the background. sb600 don't have such feature AFAIK.

sb800...$250 more ex than sb600...but worth every cent!

ortega said:

But here is an upgrade plan, buy the SB600 first use it untill you find that it is holding you back, then buy another SB800 and use the SB600 as a remote flash.

This is wise:think:

Artosoft said:
If I am not wrong, zenten try to say SB800 consumes more power than SB600.

I probably wrong :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

Ah...so you read it the other way. The statement can be interpreted in two ways.

espn said:

Horses for courses.
Some people don't need the extra reach of the SB800 and the extra expense isn't justified.

Artosoft said:
My answer based on zenten's statement that I interpreted it as SB800 use more power than SB600. That's why SB600 give more shoots than SB800 :sweat: .

Cheers!

Regards,
Arto.

well, do u need that power(sb800)... i though sb600 already so powerful...

yesterday, there' a play in my church, ( when jesus was born) , so the church lights was off.. some pns flash go flashing, and speedlight too.. sb600 even can light up the whole church,

and u dont need fast recycling time, light off is part of the play, so what's the point of shooting continues ur flash keep flashing the whole show? :)

Or you can opt to use D200 as a commander to remote SB600 if you get SB600 now and don't want SB800.:D

I was shooting my church`s service as well. But you can tune the power down along with the settings to prevent your flash from killing the ambient lights. If you are continuous flashing the show then you are overdoing it.

ortega said:

That's a good suggestion. You can also read Ken Rockwell's comparison b/t the 2 flashes. (But you must take his reviews with a pinch of salt as he can be quite opiniated, and also tends to review some stuff w/o even physically having the set!) There's a good comparison chart on the site however.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb600vs800.htm

ortega said:

Yes. I too think this is a wise first step.
If you are into those fancy wireless setup in the future, you can then purchase the SB800. In any case, even if you buy a SB800 now, you would still need another SB600/SB800 to set up those fanciful stuff.

The money saved could be used for a short holiday. Just my 2c worth!

get thsi for CLS?
bbb8xi.jpg

The flashes are remotely triggered via CLS, thus you still need a SU-800 or SB-800 or D70/D200 built in flash to control the SR-200s.

gernie said:
get thsi for CLS?
bbb0zv.jpg

If the cost is about the same as the SB29s, wouldn't it be better to just get the SB29s?
Looks like it would be more expensive than a SB29s everything taken into account.
Or am I overlooking something here?

Buy Buy Buy...
despite lots of advise to get a SB800...
for potiential SB600 buyers, pls get the flash that u want.
and don't regret after using it, and then sell it off to get SB800.

Status
Not open for further replies.