vince123123 said:
never use separate background light?

Yes, no background light was used.

there's your answer :)

reachme2003 said:
Yes, no background light was used.

Yep. You are right.

reachme2003 said:
A question to clarify. The background used was complete white. However, the shots taken shows a range of grey, sometimes it appeared as graduated grey tone. I concluded that it is the effect of light falloff from the two umbrellas, after taking into account the distance from the model to the background paper . Is my conclusion accurate?

The organiser for this workshop in KL decided that it should be FOC... so the 30++ people ( I think there's more than 50 ) who attended didn't pay anything - which was a very gracious thing for the organiser to do. Lots of local Malaysian pro photogs attended this workshop as well.

kyeoh said:
The organiser for this workshop in KL decided that it should be FOC... so the 30++ people ( I think there's more than 50 ) who attended didn't pay anything - which was a very gracious thing for the organiser to do. Lots of local Malaysian pro photogs attended this workshop as well.

Kings photo did that!!?? :bigeyes:

Overall, i found the seminar very informative....
Issues like "FOCUS"!! is very underrated in auto everything 35mm world. But if you are using the equipment she is using, shooting with movement and having to print to very large size .... have spot-on images is not a by-product.

And its good that she shared her workflow - from briefing the model to shooting to DI and backup ... these are the very lifelines of a commercial photog.... get it wrong, and you waste time/money.
i wished there were more time to ask her question though....

A few of us stayed back and asked her more questions - the rest were more interested in leaving to avoid the dreaded KL jam which was already building up.

Quite helpful and informative overall - never ask, never know!

dreamseeker said:
Yep. You are right.

Thank you for your views. Are there contrarian views?

So has anybody tried plaing the cam on the floor and triggering it with the remote yet? :bsmilie:

I think it does 'free' us up to communiate , jump, dance with the model but I think I'm more used to the camera in my hands.

Oh, anybody whose got the pdf please post it here too. Thanks :p

FiveIronFrenzy said:
So has anybody tried plaing the cam on the floor and triggering it with the remote yet? :bsmilie:

I think it does 'free' us up to communiate , jump, dance with the model but I think I'm more used to the camera in my hands.

Oh, anybody whose got the pdf please post it here too. Thanks :p
The camera is not actually sitting on the floor, but sitting on a tripod head which is sitting on the floor. This way, it allows one to pan/tilt the camera.

I've started to notice people shooting with medium format in studio tend to NOT hand hold their gear. Like Sarah placing it on the floor or placing it on something like a boom. Really so difficult to hand hold a M.F? :dunno:

FiveIronFrenzy said:
I've started to notice people shooting with medium format in studio tend to NOT hand hold their gear. Like Sarah placing it on the floor or placing it on something like a boom. Really so difficult to hand hold a M.F? :dunno:

wannabes, show offs, get it?

to heavy to hold for whole day kua....

i think the ultimate is to get sharp picture, plus depends what kind of shoots you are looking at. also i believe it's more on preference, some pro like hand hold, while some others prefer on tripod.

2cents

to each his own.

....... from Sarah Silver (with permission) .......

Here is the sharpening information I was speaking about during the seminar.

The following link is an article by Bruce Fraser about sharpening. The
article discusses many methods of sharpening based on image content and
although the article is a bit old I think is a great tutorial:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/11242.html

While searching for the article I also found Bruce's most recent article
about sharpening which can be found here:

http://www.creativepro.com:80/story/feature/20357-1.html

This article suggests that sharpening should now be done in three stages
(!):
1. Capture Sharpening is applied early in the image-editing process,
and just aims to restore any sharpness that was lost in the capture process.
2. Creative Sharpening is usually applied locally to accentuate
specific features in an image-for example, we often give eyes a little extra
sharpness in head shots.
3. Output Sharpening is applied to files that have already had capture
and creative sharpening applied, after they've been sized to final output
resolution, and is tailored to a specific type of output process.

....... end .......

Status
Not open for further replies.