Sanpshot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinky1971

Sep 5, 2009
3973731298_28615c1150_o.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Composition. Image is cropped and de-colourised.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Snapshot.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Fix ISO to 100 and on Auto Exposure mode.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Crisp. Generally ok.

Any comments? :sweat:

Hello, kinky1971. Thank you for posting your photograph and sharing with us. I certainly think you have achieved what you set out to - i.e. create a snapshot. I could perhaps categorise it into a reportage or photojournalistic style.
It is good that you have converted it into B&W to increase its impact, and also to crop it horizontally. I looked at your work for a long time and attempted to understand the story that it is telling me. Maybe it is me, but I have a little bit of trouble trying to look for the focus in the picture, and thus I could not interpret the central theme. If you look at Reportage photos, all snapshots should have a central theme. The men in black are spread out evenly and my eyes run all over the place.
Please do not take offence if I were to say that I have difficulty commenting on the composition. May I suggest simply zooming into a few men instead of letting the frame linger on so many. May just help with the composition... All these are my humble opinion.
What do you think?

Hmm I agree with limwhow... it does look like a snapshot, but i can be much better still.. For example, if you see those reportage photos in the ST, they have a central focus, and some kind of story to tell... Even those that are taken just by reporters showing everyone at an event, there has to be someone or some action which stands out, if not its not worth a second glance. In your case, I notice the right side of the picture is much darker, probably due to some shade? That part ought to be cut off because its distracting and its so dark you can't see what's happening clearly anyway.

Perhaps if you recrop or took the photo with only the left 2/3 of the photo... i.e. that the man in the center becomes the right edge of the frame. This looks good because he is leaning to the left, leaving empty space to the left for him to move will give the snapshot a sense of motion. This would also give more focus to the interesting capture of one man being taught how to use the rod properly on the left of the frame.

Overall, I think your one word answers to the above questions show that you didn't really think of what this picture ought to convey? Correct me if i'm wrong. I've found that even if you don't have a deep 'moral to the story' kind of thing, you must have a purpose in the picture, be it an interesting movement, a beautiful colour tone or a special expression on someone's face. Then you have to compose the picture such that the thing you wish to capture is given due space and attention. Watch a few classic movies and take note of how the director uses the camera to emphasize emotions/objects (eg. if you want a thoughtful look, the actor looks off to the side, and the camera leaves blank space to that side for the actor to 'think into').

Yup, just my two cents. hope it helps

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Spot on! I do not have anything in mind. I did the shot base on current atmosphere and feel. I would say I am trying to share and project the enjoyment, relaxation and harmonious feeling these people are showing at that instance.

Anyway thanks for the comments. Will keep in mind. It's great!

:D:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.