sandisk extreme 8G or 16G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triotary

Jul 19, 2006
Planning to buy, but how reliable is 16GB extreme 3 card? Is it safer to buy two 8G instead?

Not sure you will understand this.

Flash drive is just like normal harddisk without the moving parts. For every harddisk, there is a seek time, read time and write time. If the size of the drive is big, seek time will be longer and it would take longer to read a file as compare to write.
However, comparing 16GB and 8 GB flash drive the timing is not that significant as compare to today harddisk of 80GB and 250 GB. So the amount of time in reading 16GB flash drive is and will not appearing at all. You might not find any difference in some or many cases.

The risk to take for 1 x 16 GB compare to 2x 8GB is just plainly no backup disk to use if the 16GB flash drive is malfunction. That mean if your 16GB flash drive is dead, you will lost all data. if you have 2x8GB disk, you might just lost 50% of the data compare to 16GB. not sure you will get what I mean.

FYI, have never encounter any problem with sandisk product.

Not too sure on how solid state memory works, but ya, just want to get feebacks from users out there actually using a single 16G card over 2x8G cards. but I'm kind of leaning towards 2 x 8G cards, as the only advantage for a 16G card over 2 x 8G cards is only the split moment when you need to swap in an empty 8G card, price wise 16G card is tad more ex.

and probably the total loss issue if the single 16G card fails like you have mentioned.

i would choose a 2x8gb instead of 1x16gb. I was advise not to put too many eggs into a basket.

You must be using a high end cam since you ask for a 16GB :lovegrin: For me, I will go for 2 x 8GB.

1. 2 x 8GB should be cheaper than 1 x 16GB
2. 50% less chance of loosing the whole shoot if one card failed
3. I find downloading large amount of data from CF to PC is a pain, so 8GB should be twice as fast as 16GB before I get to see the first picture on my PC
4. If you use a D3, you can put 2 x 8Gb and set it to automatic backup :lovegrin:

pricing wise 2x8gb is more expensive than a single 16gb. Now CF cards are dirt cheap compared to before.

And because it's cheap, i think investing in 4X 4GB is the safest of all. Chances of losing priceless data are just 25%.

Why not do what we did in the old days. Pick your card size so that just 36 shots fit on it...And changing CF cards is much faster than loading new film cassettes...

interesting idea.
it will train up that one shot one kill mentality of film days. good bye to happy snappies.

Why not do what we did in the old days. Pick your card size so that just 36 shots fit on it...And changing CF cards is much faster than loading new film cassettes...

anyone saw good prices for CF cards @ pc show? or for that matter, SLS because sometimes SLS shops will have parallel promotions

Status
Not open for further replies.