Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye!

Sispecho

Sep 11, 2006
Clementi
Recently got from a fellow CSer a Samyang 7.5mm lens for my m43... Cheap lens with good contrast. Thoroughly impressed and what a fun lens to use! Though i find it a bit too small and a bit hard to turn the focus ring without having your finger caught in the image. Brought it out for the Singapore vs PKNS FC game which we won 5-0. Sharing a shot from this wonderful lens...

P4171901.jpg

Pardon the blur. I was excited myself haha... Goals galore...

Recently got from a fellow CSer a Samyang 7.5mm lens for my m43... Cheap lens with good contrast. Thoroughly impressed and what a fun lens to use! Though i find it a bit too small and a bit hard to turn the focus ring without having your finger caught in the image. Brought it out for the Singapore vs PKNS FC game which we won 5-0. Sharing a shot from this wonderful lens...

P4171901.jpg

Pardon the blur. I was excited myself haha... Goals galore...

I love this lens. Even hair (if use with EVF at 90degrees) can get caught. I don't even need to focus with this lens, just put to infinity at F5.6, compose and shoot:) An advantage of m43 - deeper DOF!

I bought this lens from sgcamera. Really fun to shoot.

But u seriously hate the focus ring. Not easy to turn, the plastic is not grippy.

A few more with the Samyang

P1012707.jpg
[/IMG]

2 (this one I screwed up haha)

P1012711.jpg
[/IMG]

P1012712.jpg
[/IMG]

P1012724.jpg
[/IMG]

still trying to get used to the lens... haha

How much does it cost?
Need any adapter?

How much does it cost?
Need any adapter?

I got mine 2nd hand around 370 if im not mistaken, Brand new shud be around 400 plus minus. Its in m43 mount.

It's m43 mount.

brand new should be 390 with the new sgcamerastore promo.. not sure ended liao anot.. i planning to get one but no body (waiting for my silver em5 to arrive) yet so holding on.. =(

A few more with the Samyang

still trying to get used to the lens... haha

Your soccer stadium shot is still the best, because the fisheye distortion complements the dramatic, excited audience. :thumbsup: Of the 4 Sengkang ABC shots, I actually prefer #2 which you claimed to have screwed up. Why not try to add artificial vignetting to darken the corners so that you emphasize the "looking through an eye" effect?

brand new should be 390 with the new sgcamerastore promo.. not sure ended liao anot.. i planning to get one but no body (waiting for my silver em5 to arrive) yet so holding on.. =(

yep still on but when i ask seems cheaper dont flame me if not was there last week when i collected my 8mm FE ;-) the thing with SGCamera if you pre-order it's cheaper ;-) if you buy (walk-in) is slightly expenssive but not much. maybe around 20-40 bucks. That's my experience with them when I bought my 2 Samyang 8mm from them (sold the 1st one before and gotten another one last week)

Resurrection of this thread :p

Just picked up a 7.5mm as well fr SGCam as they having their GSS promo supposedly. Fun lens to use but i have no idea how to use fisheye yet :) Not to mention so many shots have my fingers in them...lens is REALLY wide.

Posting some shots taken with an e-m5, PP-ed and did some distortion correction to show some comparisons.

Shot @f8

With distortion correction:

Last edited:
Posting some shots taken @ f3.5.

Cropped (not really 100% zoom, can't get accurate 100% crop export fr LR)

Not too bad, the zoomed shot of the flower. Can see the small ant crawling inside the flower.

Last edited:
B&W rendition @f8, not corrected for distortion

Last edited:
Lastly, the lens on an E-M5 for you gear buffs.

My initial thoughts?

1) Fun lens to use due to the fisheye perspective
2) Can be corrected through software to "de-fish" it
3) Cheap alternative for a nice wide angle "prime" :p
4) I think I saw some CA on some shots, but it doesn't really bother me
5) Easy to use manual lens, set to f5.6 or f8 infinity and shoot away :)

Last edited:
zapp! said:
Lastly, the lens on an E-M5 for you gear buffs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwhk/7271917856/

My initial thoughts?

1) Fun lens to use due to the fisheye perspective
2) Can be corrected through software to "de-fish" it
3) Cheap alternative for a nice wide angle "prime" :p
4) I think I saw some CA on some shots, but it doesn't really bother me
5) Easy to use manual lens, set to f5.6 or f8 infinity and shoot away :)

Looks nice! Dunno whether wan to spend money for a fun lens which I may not always use.

How the build quality? For correction of distortion, is that auto or you judge urself in LR? Any direct defish software available? Thanks for sharing

Build quality is good enough for me, definitely less plasticky than some of the other m4/3 lenses but not at the level of lets say the Oly 12mm. You pay for what you get.

Correction of distortion i use focal lengths similar to the FL in LR - there is a Nikon fisheye profile there. I also used a set of lens profiles posted in DPreview:

Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 Lens Profiles [Page 1]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Direct link is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/46420541/Rok7_5_lcp.zip

I used the rectilinear one.

I need to shoot some more with this lens to see if it is good enough to use as a landscape lens, with a bit of effects built-in.

Looks nice! Dunno whether wan to spend money for a fun lens which I may not always use.

How the build quality? For correction of distortion, is that auto or you judge urself in LR? Any direct defish software available? Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
how is this lens compare to the Lumis 8mm m4/3 mount?

how is this lens compare to the Lumis 8mm m4/3 mount?

I sold my Samyang for the Lumix. I love taking advantage of the fisheye effect for distorted close ups. Both lenses have good near focus ability, but the Samyang's lack of af makes focusing truly impossible. Fingers get caught all the time while focusing.

Sharpness wise, my Lumix was a tad better.