Samsung are showing their mirror box-less hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks as though Samsung have finally gotten to the mock up stage with their hybrid micro Four-Thirds like camera.

There is an article here.

They seemed to give Panasonic and Olympus a shot with
Like conventional DSLRs, the Samsung NX Series utilizes an APS C sized image sensor providing a much larger surface area to gather light and produce higher-quality images than comparable digital camera systems.

The only real things stopping Samsung is that they can't copy the design of the DMC-G1 fast enough and that they always seem to get their consumer devices somewhat wrong. At least here, I don't see anyone going out of their way to buy Samsung devices. People who have had their mobile phones don't get another, unless they're free with contract.

What I hope is that they'll make it easier for Panasonic and Olympus to look good.

i was trying out a samsung PnS at a samsung showroom last weekend and i'm shocked at how a PnS camera can made so wrong. it was some pns with 2 retro analogue gauges for battery life and memory that was kind unique, but it doesn't even AF on a single target on 3 attempts in less than a min. PnS cameras of the other makes are really simple to operate and there is no guesswork involved. its surprising that anyone would choose their cameras at all.

i guess Samsung is seen as a "Me Too!" consumer electronics maker and nothing more, the product designs and operation just doesn't seem thought though before reaching the shelves. their camera products range seem more like a technical specification checklist rather than real photographic tools.

i'm guessing the NX range will have something to do with Pentax behind the scenes. if Pentax is rolling out an identical product, then it would be interesting to see if the K-mount pancakes are compatible and m4/3 will have some serious competition for this new market.

i guess Samsung is seen as a "Me Too!" consumer electronics maker and nothing more, the product designs and operation just doesn't seem thought though before reaching the shelves. their camera products range seem more like a technical specification checklist rather than real photographic tools.

Can't say that for their monitors as they are very good (it's the only product from Samsung that I own, and will own...I just can't buy a Samsung camera, no matter whose name is on the lens).

............... its surprising that anyone would choose their cameras at all.

Uh oh ............... I just got myself a Samsung ................ :sweat:

hope oly will feel the heat and speed up whatever that is coming! :bsmilie:

Samsung, like panasonic, has the advantage of being an electronics giant without much legacy camera restrictions, and they can leverage on technology they already posses to make hybrid cameras such as better electronic viewfinders. I guess sony will be the next company to come up with a hybrid camera, maybe a full frame one? :think:

surprising the samsung GX20 is much better than the pentax version of their K20D..
maybe the pns cmi...but their dslr is certainly the one to look out for.....

surprising the samsung GX20 is much better than the pentax version of their K20D..
maybe the pns cmi...but their dslr is certainly the one to look out for.....

What I've heard about the GX-20 was the opposite. It still has problems in its software, which is typical of Samsung.

What I've heard about the GX-20 was the opposite. It still has problems in its software, which is typical of Samsung.

what u had heard is not the same as what i had seen
Had doubt of it before hand after seeing it in action and the actual pic...can safetly conclude it indeed better than it other half

Competition is always good for us consumers.

If Samsung makes NX a viable product, Panny and Oly would be under that little bit of pressure to make better mFT cameras for less.

But again I cannot see Canon, Nikon and Sony NOT jumping into the arena if EVIL really takes off (and that's more competition! :bsmilie:)

what u had heard is not the same as what i had seen
Had doubt of it before hand after seeing it in action and the actual pic...can safetly conclude it indeed better than it other half

That would be good for them. I can't imagine when we'll see any here. They're more concerned with selling refrigerators now.

That would be good for them. I can't imagine when we'll see any here. They're more concerned with selling refrigerators now.

Is this attitude because you just cant agree to Samsung being a camera company?! I had the opportunity to try one of my friend's GX-20 and its a real good value for money model at its range! If I am not wrong the Samsung was coupled with some real good Schneider optics as well. The results were very very good. Bear in mind that the GX-20 should be compared against the E-30 and the E-30 was only just released.

If Samsung can make good electronics overall (TVs, monitors, refridgerators etc.) I bet they can jump into the cam business as well and do note that they have a separate R&D team to look into this business.

The more the options, the better for the consumer --> more choices to choose from and heavy competition drives the price down generally.

Samsung's been trying hard but not getting much headway. I'm certain they will make inroads into the market sooner or later. It's just a matter of how much stomach they have towards making some losses for now.

Is this attitude because you just cant agree to Samsung being a camera company?! I had the opportunity to try one of my friend's GX-20 and its a real good value for money model at its range! If I am not wrong the Samsung was coupled with some real good Schneider optics as well. The results were very very good. Bear in mind that the GX-20 should be compared against the E-30 and the E-30 was only just released.

If Samsung can make good electronics overall (TVs, monitors, refridgerators etc.) I bet they can jump into the cam business as well and do note that they have a separate R&D team to look into this business.

The more the options, the better for the consumer --> more choices to choose from and heavy competition drives the price down generally.

Their products don't exactly have a good reputation in the U.S.A. though I'm first to admit that their components for other manufacturers are quite good. In fact, LG doesn't have a good reputation for products either, but they're doing better than Samsung here. If they put more work into their software development, they'd both be regarded more positively.

It's rare to see a Samsung point-and-shoot camera, so you can imagine that it's unlikely to find one of their dSLRs here. It's not whether I believe that they can make a good camera or not because it's unlikely that I'll ever see one outside Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.