salvage this image

Status
Not open for further replies.
my take on this:

let me go home and do it.

but I see that
a) select the girls face and inverse the selection.
b) duplicate a layer and put it in screen mode.
c) flatten, auto levels.
c) take the original girls image and layer in multiply mode.

--
anyway, go home then try.
don't suppose you shoot RAW?

ya, you all really inspire me to wave my magic wand again :) will do it again

yes i did on raw but converted to TIFF already

QUOTE=loupgarou]my take on this:

let me go home and do it.

but I see that
a) select the girls face and inverse the selection.
b) duplicate a layer and put it in screen mode.
c) flatten, auto levels.
c) take the original girls image and layer in multiply mode.

--
anyway, go home then try.
don't suppose you shoot RAW?[/QUOTE]

very cute right, she is so adorable!!! :lovegrin:
i requested her mum to give me permission to have a shot of her

vonvonz said:
this is a chance to practice and kinda a challenge to save the photo. hehe...

but while doing it, i was thinking that it's not too possible to just touch up on her face, because since the flash just brighten everything, patching up her face only will make the whole photo looks weird. and with the clothe she's in, it's gonna be quite some work to touch up so that it goes with the face. :sweat: so, a bit hard to salvage.

but she is still so cute. :lovegrin: hehe..

adding on : it's hard, but can be done :D just need more time, patience and playing around with the tools. :thumbsup:

hmmm... actually I wanted to try my hands on it but then the info palette reads up to 254 255 254 on her face. Its blown-out and there isn't really much image information to work with. Its impossible for photoshop to recreate information that wasn't captured in the first place.

So IMHO, there isn't anything that can be done on the details side. So its either you painstakingly clone the hotspots away or darken and lose details. All of which will take some time to achieve.

My take? Go to the same spot and wait for another opportunity. hehe :D

Helmet has a better grip on postprocessing than many people I guess. Once again, I do not mean offence to anyone but to do any effective post processing, you need a perfect image to start with. I see processing (traditional or PS) to be steps that degrade the image (in absolute terms). Subjectively, they do improve the image a lot. But it is essential that before chipping off, you need a good image to start from. Your image does not have any details in the highlight. Any amount of photoshop will not make this image better than it is. I looked at each image presented by the people before and none of them are any where reasonable to do justice to the little girl.

If you really want to challange people with PS skills, i suggest you post a great image and let others use their creative juices in interpreting that image. I guess that is a more sensible use of everyones skill and time. MHO.

gosh....... better grip?....... No no. I'm no better than anyone here. Hehe. Cause probably my photography skill sucks big time and always get over exposed shots :bsmilie:

You do have a point, no matter how good your PS skills are, its always more important to have a decent image to begin with. This is why my designer friend always complains when his clients pass him crappy compressed jpeg images and expects him to make something fantastic out of them. :sweat: And of course, even though he earns a living from PS-ing, there's only so much he and the software can do.

Post processing is to enhance the image. Its good to have, not a must.

Sorry, quite OT huh.

But then I do hope someone can come up with something good in this thread. That way, my shots can be saved too. hehe.

UPZZ :thumbsup:

Very bored now... so give it a try too~ ;p The highlights + shadows are still from the original image, I only twitch the colours.

bored.jpg

My try:

Original
115_p920.jpg

adjusted
115_p922.jpg

RemAcuTetigisti, do you have anything better to add

cheersjy, share the secret :)

You mean in terms of how good the image created by cheersjy is? Do you think that is an image you will like to hang on your wall?

I should say that cheersjy is more competent in PS and knows what he wants to achieve better than the rest of the posts. Cheers to the person and I commend his/her skills.

I am not trying to argue the point of PS or No PS. I am just saying that any post processing in a tool to enhance your vision and not correct mistakes made during exposure. This mindset of improving bad images has crept in largely due to the ability of people to use digital manipulation tools. If it was a traditional process, this image would be left on the editing room floor.

I'd rather see the best images made by people (who wish to share and challange others) put up this way and good quality post processing done by people like cheersjy. At least that will be a thread that people can refer to learn.

Hi, actually it is not difficult to achieve if you use Photoshop CS. There are 2 things i tried to restore from the original image: the details of the background and add some skin tone for the kid's face.

To restore the background:
1. image -> adjustment -> shadow/highlight, and then play with the slide bar
2. enhance the colour saturation a bit

To add some skin tone:
1. use history brush to undo the changes on the tone/colour of the kid's face due to previous actions
2. use masking tool to select out the face and hands of the kid (only the skin area, easy to do if you know the quick mask technique)
3. open another image with the correct skin tone and also mask out the face/hands.
4. go to image -> adjustments -> match colour, and use the first image as target and 2nd image as source. Use the selected areas in the source to match to that in the target image. Play around with the sliding bars to achieve the effect you want.

Actually the best effect can be achieve by using another photo, taken under the same setting and same person but correctly exposed, as source image. This can give a more natural skin tone to the kid. However, due to overexposure, this method cannot restore the detail loss on his face, can only add a tone. Therefore, a correct (or slightly under) exposure is still very important to restore an image to its best.

Hope these help! Happy PS-ing!!

myversion.jpg.txt

Here is my version on mono, hope u will like it :p

RemAcuTetigisti said:
You mean in terms of how good the image created by cheersjy is? Do you think that is an image you will like to hang on your wall?

I should say that cheersjy is more competent in PS and knows what he wants to achieve better than the rest of the posts. Cheers to the person and I commend his/her skills.

I am not trying to argue the point of PS or No PS. I am just saying that any post processing in a tool to enhance your vision and not correct mistakes made during exposure. This mindset of improving bad images has crept in largely due to the ability of people to use digital manipulation tools. If it was a traditional process, this image would be left on the editing room floor.

I'd rather see the best images made by people (who wish to share and challange others) put up this way and good quality post processing done by people like cheersjy. At least that will be a thread that people can refer to learn.

I guess it really is a 'to each his own' topic, but i would like to share my view also. your opinion is that post processing is a tool to enhance your vision. but since the tools are there, why can't one also use it to correct mistakes they made during exposure?

this picture may not be the best to be hang on the wall, but it might mean something to the person who took it, that person might not have any more chance to capture the photo/moment again.

i believe we should be more flexible with the tools that are available to us, whether it is to enhance or to salvage, just hopefully at the end of the day, some nice and presentable photograph can be produced and someone can be happy looking at it.

this is digital darkroom, i would understand why a person would have left the image in the traditional dark room and not post process it. first of all, it will cost money to keep trying and the post process in traditional dark room may not be as convenient as using photoshop. so IMHO there shouldn't be a comparison in that way.

just sharing my opinion. hope it doesn't lead to a flame, since everyone is entitled to their own POV. :thumbsup:

oh ya, have to say that I've seen all the possiblities here of what you guys can do to salvage the little girl and i must say good job! :) :thumbsup: cheers!

bravo, vonvonz i didnt know we can telepathy :)

vonvonz said:
I guess it really is a 'to each his own' topic, but i would like to share my view also. your opinion is that post processing is a tool to enhance your vision. but since the tools are there, why can't one also use it to correct mistakes they made during exposure?

this picture may not be the best to be hang on the wall, but it might mean something to the person who took it, that person might not have any more chance to capture the photo/moment again.

i believe we should be more flexible with the tools that are available to us, whether it is to enhance or to salvage, just hopefully at the end of the day, some nice and presentable photograph can be produced and someone can be happy looking at it.

this is digital darkroom, i would understand why a person would have left the image in the traditional dark room and not post process it. first of all, it will cost money to keep trying and the post process in traditional dark room may not be as convenient as using photoshop. so IMHO there shouldn't be a comparison in that way.

just sharing my opinion. hope it doesn't lead to a flame, since everyone is entitled to their own POV. :thumbsup:

oh ya, have to say that I've seen all the possiblities here of what you guys can do to salvage the little girl and i must say good job! :) :thumbsup: cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.