Sal16-50 doesnt like tamron tc

spurssy

May 27, 2004
I tried to use the sal16-50 with a old tamron 2x tc on the a77. However, I was unable to take any photos, in fact, an aperture couldn't be obtained. Anyone had similar issues? The tc works with my full frame 28-75 on the a77. I wonder if the tc can only work with full frame and not dt lenses.

Check that your Tamron TC has 8 contact pins. If it has 5 contact pins, then definitely cannot use as the 16-50 requires the other 3 pins for powering the SSM motor. Your other Tamron lens is a screw-driven lens so does not require the other 3 pins.

If it does indeed have 8 pins, then try any SAM lens on it. If it still does not work, then there could be a few other possible reasons. I'll let you know after your update.

Last edited:
Check that your Tamron TC has 8 contact pins. If it has 5 contact pins, then definitely cannot use as the 16-50 requires the other 3 pins for powering the SSM motor. Your other Tamron lens is a screw-driven lens so does not require the other 3 pins.

If it does indeed have 8 pins, then try any SAM lens on it. If it still does not work, then there could be a few other possible reasons. I'll let you know after your update.
Indeed the Tamron TC only has 5 pins. In short, I shall assume it cannot work with any SSM lens?

BTW, my 28-75 f2.8 is a KM, and it has 8 pins as well. Like you mentioned, it's prob screw-driven...

All 5-pins TC cannot be used with SAM or SSM as the missing 3 pins are required to provide power to the lens motor. If you use a 8-pin screw-driven lens, you can still use as per normal but you lose the ADI flash function, which is provided by one of the 3 pins mentioned. So if you use the 28-75 with the TC, your flash setting must be set to TTL instead of ADI, otherwise your pictures would likely be underexposed.