Safari Telephoto Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
how about a 70-200/2.8 with a 2x tele converter?

if weight is at such a premium...then maybe consider getting the canon s5 or something with 20x optical zoom. shiokness. can take movie somemore.

but if i were to go on safari, maybe a 100-400 with a 2x TC, or a bigma 50-500 with TC.

edit: oh yah, and a magnum.44 in my girlfriend's handbag

I won't recommend the use of 2x TC with zoom lenses as image quality would suffer. On the 100-400L it won't even AF on anything other than a 1-series body or unless you tape pins and even then the AF would be struggling.

Your friend has to understand what type of safari tour he is going to.

I came back from the one in Nepal. Most of the animals were pretty close cause we we travelling on top of an elephant, as opposed to on a vehicle. So my 70-200F4 IS with my 40D (crop 1.6) was sufficient.

a 100-400 would of course be good, esp if you have the money and muscle power to bring it along.

Impt to note is that the lens should be fast, as you will need to shoot at very fast shutter speed.

I have been using my 100-400mm for a year now. It was quite heavy initially, but after a while, I got used to it and now it seems pretty light. It only looks scary when extended and with the hood on. If you remove the hood and pull all the way in, the zoom is actually quite compact.

Whether you choose 100-400mm vs. prime lens depends on whether you are going as a tourist or as a photographic expedition. As a tourist, you cannot always wander around and are limited to shoot whatever appears before you. Having a zoom is a big PLUS in this case as you can catch the animal 'as is'. If it is a photographic expedition where you can set up before hand and have the whole day waiting for the elephant to come, then a prime lens would be better.

Trying to catch a running zebra among a group using a long prime can be very difficult (even with both eyes opened), but with a zoom one can zoom out and then narrow in on that one particular animal.

Anybody tried mirror lens?

They don't AF on Canon bodies. The only mirror lens I know that works with AF is the Sony Reflex 500. If you don't mind focusing manually, then mirror lenses would be nice and light for use.

ic... been considering one due to the attractive low price. however some test images show donut bokeh and it is pretty distracting comparing to normal lenses.
Pros and Cons i guess.

Trying to catch a running zebra among a group using a long prime can be very difficult (even with both eyes opened), but with a zoom one can zoom out and then narrow in on that one particular animal.

i would think that most of the time, the zoom would be set at the maximum zoom, unless the animal is coming towards your direction. and zooming in then zooming out seems a bit kang kor.

i would think that most of the time, the zoom would be set at the maximum zoom, unless the animal is coming towards your direction. and zooming in then zooming out seems a bit kang kor.

True, if the animal is only one there and is not moving too quickly. I mentioned zebra because when they all start running as a group, I tend to get confused and sometimes would snap the 'wrong' zebra without realizing it! :bsmilie:

Same goes for eagles - blink and they're out of the FOV! At least for eagles you can still shoot with both eyes open.

Go for the best his pocket can allow. Weight should not be part of the equation. Train to carry those weight if necessary. Personally I will go there with 2 camera....one with 70-200 F2.8 and another with either a 400 or 500mm prime. I will bring the 400 F2.8, but if money is an issue, then 400 5.6L will also do the Job. Also a 16-35 MKII for family shots.

Having kids on the trip is even better, can use them as slaves! hahaha!!!

After paying so much for the trip, I will bring my best gear to capture the best memories possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.