Safari Telephoto Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

pommie

Jan 2, 2007
Or anybody who has been on a Safari, i would appreciate knowing what Lens use used?

Thanks

My Friend has a 450D and is heading to Kenya on a Safari for the first time.

I was recommending him to get the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM
But now im wondering if it will be too big and heavy to be practical?
He will be with his wife and 2 kids.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-ef-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-l-is-usm-lens-review.aspx

Any suggestions appreciated.

100-400 is nothing. Most of those safari photographers use primes such as 500 and 600mm.

Whether to heavy or not suitable depends on many factors, the question goes to your friend. There are families traveling with kids who still have space for such lenses when going for safari. Other families cannot bring a kit lens anymore when going to a nearby resort with one kid. Beside this: Safari means wildlife with animals far away, not Singapore Zoo with the monkeys in the next trees and the lion 30m away in confined area. If the lion should be more than a yellowish dot it needs some long lenses.

lighter ang cheaper 70-300mm is

I believe that the EF 100-400mm L would be the best choice for the 'Avg Joe' going on a Safari.

Yes.... there are much better lens around.... namely EF 400mm f2.8, EF 500mm f4 or even the super EF 600mm f4.... but how many of us could afford 1 of those monster :sweat: Even the cost of renting 1 would make up 25-35% of buying a 2nd hand EF 100-400mm :think:

And not forget.... the EF 100-400mm would be lighter than any of those 3 lens. Not forgeting that it could zoom, which make it more flexible IMO :thumbsup:

Will it be a little heavy to carry around.... Yes.
Will your friend be going to Kenya again soon.... Not likely. (making every photo taken.... near priceless)

This is more or less a trip of a life time..... IMHO, getting the EF 100-400mm would be a good & flexible choice.... together with a wide angle lens for the open field of the plains. :thumbsup:

My 2-Cents worth......

Yep, another vote for the 100-400L. I've used it for a few safaris in S.Africa and the lens has a good compromise of reach and weight. Image quality is good but of course no where near tele primes which is why I switched to the 300 prime + TC. At the end of the day, it's how much weight your friend is willing to carry to get the shots.

OK, I think i made the right call.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Theres this lens 200-500mm from tamron. Get it and sell it after you get back to singapore.

Hahaha.... how about EF 100-400mm L USM, get 2nd hand.... then sell to me at 3rd hand price :bsmilie:

sigma 300-800 also. but that's a monster lens.
Sigma-300-800MM_5.6_APO-EX-DG-HSM.JPG

The 100-400 L is definately a good choice. But consideration have to be factor such as the size and weigth of the lens as well as the expected distance from the object.

The last time I went to NZ for a month, I brought myself a 70-300 DO as it give almost the range I need to cover providing me the compactness , at a mere 99.9mm when retracted

As compare to the 100-400L it is only half the length and slight more than half the weight, considering I need to travel with 2 active kids.

oh my. i want one of those! :bsmilie:

any idea of the cost in SGD? Haven't actually seen anyone using it...

somewhere between "oh my" and "lots" i should think.

you need to be a serious birder (i think) to want to own one of these babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.