S9600/s9100 or panasonicFZ50

Status
Not open for further replies.

messenger

Aug 30, 2004
Have been considering between this two camera but yet to make a decision.
Any kind soul to help me?

Read lots of review and comment but still cant make up my mind.
Any one know the price for s9600?

:)
Thank
Proud owner of 602z pro

You posted this question in the Fuji thread... expect to see praises about the Fuji and bad things about the Panasonic, lol.

Anyway, have you read the reviews and examined the comparison sample photos between both cameras? you can see them at www.dpreview.com. I personally prefer the Fuji (not suprising) due to the 28mm wide angle and also of the amount of details captured, even at high ISO settings. I did compare the FZ30/FZ50 before my purchase but realize that their sensor noise at even ISO100 is not that clean, and at ISO200 it's unacceptable. No doubt, their OIS and lens sharpness (corner sharpness, at the edges) is a good thing to have, but in the end, I went with the Fuji also because of the comfortable design of the body. It's just a personal preference.

It depends what kind of photography you want. IMHO, macro & abstract go for fz50. You want colors & low noise go for S9600. S9600 should be cheap than FZ50. But be mentally prepare, people tends to upgrade to DSLR pretty fast after using Fuji prosumer.:D The feel and control are close to that of DSLR.

haha actually in subconcious i feel i wan fujifilm, but just wan to hear more comment.
Nah i am still a student so no money for dslr, just need a decent camera for shooting, my project.
But if wan to use for wedding which one is better? cos my bro wedding is coming. haa.

haha actually in subconcious i feel i wan fujifilm, but just wan to hear more comment.
Nah i am still a student so no money for dslr, just need a decent camera for shooting, my project.
But if wan to use for wedding which one is better? cos my bro wedding is coming. haa.

I feel S9600 is better, but you'll need to get an ext. flash. Then make yourself a DIY bounce card like this; http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221527

It'll be good if you play around with the flash before wedding.

you asked which is better for wedding shoots. I will say the FZ50 has an advantage here, due to the TTL-hotshoe. You will have to fork up a premium for Panasonic flash units though. The S9600 has a manual hotshoe, so you can only use manual flash units on it. But then again, the FZ50's wide-angle limit may not be sufficient for large group shots...

you asked which is better for wedding shoots. I will say the FZ50 has an advantage here, due to the TTL-hotshoe. You will have to fork up a premium for Panasonic flash units though. The S9600 has a manual hotshoe, so you can only use manual flash units on it. But then again, the FZ50's wide-angle limit may not be sufficient for large group shots...

Hi Michhy,

Just a simple correction in case people miss-understood your statement "Manual Flash". It is "Manual" because you have to manually set the apperture and ISO setting on both flash and camera, but the flash output can be auto (in Auto mode) as long as the setting is correct.

for example: I have used Nikon SB28/SB800 to work in Auto mode with S9500. setting as below:
SB28/800: Auto mode, ISO set to 200, apperture set to 5.6.
Camera: Manual mode, ISO set to 200, apperture set to 5.6, recommended speed to be 60, auto focus.
with such setting, just aim and shoot, should get good picturus. You can get a secondhand Nikon SB28 for below $200 and it is a very powerful and good flash.

u have already decided urself that u want the fuji. just get it, play around with it and familiarise urself with the controls. get ready for ur bro's wedding ;)

do take note that, if u are very new to photog and have not understand aperture and shutter speed relations, then be prepared for quite a steep learning curve. :) good luck!

If you can afford a 9500 , you could afford a DSLR , just move away from the 2 big ones and buy a Pentax

If you can afford a 9500 , you could afford a DSLR , just move away from the 2 big ones and buy a Pentax

A new one would be above $1k. Get it 2nd hand, be it 350d, d50, d70 or even the Ds ?
Those should be below $1k.

Go for the pana if you want or must use Image stabilizer.

Go for the 9600 if you prefer lower noise at high iso (above 400)

I had to disagree.
You can't even get a dSLR body with the price of the S9500.
Then, how much will an equivalent lens covering 28-300mm cost you?

except maybe for D40...
still impossible. no 28-300mm lens + dSLR body can get this cheap.
and I dont refer to used cameras because then you can buy a used prosumer for much less too.

still impossible. no 28-300mm lens + dSLR body can get this cheap.
and I dont refer to used cameras because then you can buy a used prosumer for much less too.

Actually there is no 28-300mm F2.8 lens with macro for DSLR regardless of price.

Actually there is no 28-300mm F2.8 lens with macro for DSLR regardless of price.

I'm not sure what's the point of debating this topic as the OP did not even ask about DSLR...:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.