S2Pro and Sigma Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulus

Feb 27, 2002
Khon Kaen, Thailand
www.damianeva.org
I was wondering if there is still any compatibility problems with sigma lenses and the S2pro.
I am interested in getting a 70-200 APO EX HSM

anyone?

great lens.

when u stop down to F4, it's sharp!!
but wide open ain't dat sharp...

BTW, at 200mm, 2.8 is useless for me, cos DOF very shallow...
got OOF very often with my S2...:(

K thanks... anyone has had any trouble?
OT a little... any S2 user has trouble with flash metering? I used the built in flash and the results suck big time. Like the cam doesn't meter the flash at all. It's weird lor - I had to switch to manual and then stop down to 1000/5.6 to get a decent exposure.

I'm using a Sigma 170-500 with my S2, no issues encountered at all, other than slow focusing which is expected.

As for flash, mine works very well with either built-in or hotshoe flash (Nikon SB-27 and SB-28). Have you tried a hotshoe flash ? One of the reasons I'm keeping my S2 until it conks out (rather than upgrade) is the performance with flash metering ... wonderfully-exposed images on bounced flash (direct is often too harsh for people shots, plus the subjects get blinded). I use mostly "P"rogram settings on Matrix metering, and TTL on the flash.

ericp said:
I'm using a Sigma 170-500 with my S2, no issues encountered at all, other than slow focusing which is expected.

As for flash, mine works very well with either built-in or hotshoe flash (Nikon SB-27 and SB-28). Have you tried a hotshoe flash ? One of the reasons I'm keeping my S2 until it conks out (rather than upgrade) is the performance with flash metering ... wonderfully-exposed images on bounced flash (direct is often too harsh for people shots, plus the subjects get blinded). I use mostly "P"rogram settings on Matrix metering, and TTL on the flash.
this one i agree.

S2Pro has wonderful flash performance. :thumbsup:

The built in flash functions fine, it's just under powered. The 70-200 HSM works great on the S2pro, although there is the occasional focus 'lock-up' which needs a reboot of the camera to clear. Value for money, good at F4 and larger F.

SB24, 25, 26, 28 and 80 are all great for the S2pro. I was on the SB25 for quite a while, then the SB80 for a slightly faster recycle time and more manual control.

I have Tokina and Tamron lens on the S2pro, too, apart from Sigma and Nikon. All works well.

ok. thanks. I realised it was a problem with the setting of the focusing point (?!) have to check the manual in ENGLISH (must d/l i think). I chose some setting with the [+] so for some reason the flash went all screwy. The bounce flash is good though I prefer a little less exposure. Have compensated for that already.

Still getting used to it... heh. I must say it preserves the highlights pretty well. Any tips? Can I load custom curves into it, etc.? How do I do custom white balance settings? Sorry. No manual at present...

Romulus said:
ok. thanks. I realised it was a problem with the setting of the focusing point (?!) have to check the manual in ENGLISH (must d/l i think). I chose some setting with the [+] so for some reason the flash went all screwy. The bounce flash is good though I prefer a little less exposure. Have compensated for that already.

Still getting used to it... heh. I must say it preserves the highlights pretty well. Any tips? Can I load custom curves into it, etc.? How do I do custom white balance settings? Sorry. No manual at present...

yes.

i never use that AF mode [+] at all. i don't really know the reason for this AF mode, but still, i am happy with the shots the S2Pro can produce.

A search on the internet and Fujifilm websites should get you a pdf of the manual, I can't remember where, though. Can't load anything except batteries, CF and SM cards and dust/water into the S2pro. No firmware upgrade, no curves, nothing at all. It was good and functioning well from the first release! The only problem is the CCD dying issue, which is pretty well documented.

Have another question. When an older Nikon AF 35-70 or 70-210 is used, there is an ERR message even when the aperture ring is set to the smallest AV. Any ideas?

The built in flash functions fine, it's just under powered. The 70-200 HSM works great on the S2pro, although there is the occasional focus 'lock-up' which needs a reboot of the camera to clear. Value for money, good at F4 and larger F.

SB24, 25, 26, 28 and 80 are all great for the S2pro. I was on the SB25 for quite a while, then the SB80 for a slightly faster recycle time and more manual control.

I have Tokina and Tamron lens on the S2pro, too, apart from Sigma and Nikon. All works well.

A question. I have a S2 Pro and recently bought a Nikon SB600 flash. Looking at the S2's great compability with the older SB flashes, is the SB600 too much flash/technology for the ageing S2 Pro? If yes, then maybe I should downgrade. If no, what advantages do I get from using the SB600? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.