S100 video flickering issue

tyzts

Sep 22, 2006
Hi all,

I got the S100 last week. Am loving the still image quality but there seems to be a problem with video flickering. The problem with my unit is as described in this thread on dpreview:

S100 Video Behaving Badly [Page 3]: Canon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

In particular, I'm having the same problem as shown by the sample videos posted by alfpang in that dpreview thread.
Video taken under artificial light flickers with horizontal lines. The flickering is visible both on the camera's lcd screen and on playback on my PC. My s90 and GH-2 do not have the same problem.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else on this forum who bought a S100 in Singapore has the same problem with your unit. If you do, would appreciate if you could respond to this post. I'd like to guage how common the problem may be or whether I've got a lemon.

Thanks in advance.

That is bad..Anyone can advice before I go to the shop and get one myself?

Try taking the video outdoor? The flickering could be due to the flickering of flickering of your lights indoor.

It can't get resolved by changing the fps in this case?

Probably is your video refresh rate .. try to adjust ur shutter speed if not then ur refresh rate ..

So it seems like not a lot of people having this problem then. And most importantly it is not the camera fault?

Flickering can be caused by video FPS setting, just like trying to take video of CRT monitor and you will find banding. I suggest you take at 30FPS or even 60FPS if possible and see if you have the same effect. You should have less on one of those. If the same results, you will need to send it for repair or replacement as you have a bad unit. BTW, our Power Supply runs at 50Hz, so try to avoid 50fps....if you have this ..

Last edited:
mohdya said:
Flickering can be caused by video FPS setting, just like trying to take video of CRT monitor and you will find banding. I suggest you take at 30FPS or even 60FPS if possible and see if you have the same effect. You should have less on one of those. If the same results, you will need to send it for repair or replacement as you have a bad unit. BTW, our Power Supply runs at 50Hz, so try to avoid 50fps....if you have this ..

I thought it's the opposite, isn't it? Shouldn't you set it to 50Hz here?

I thought it's the opposite, isn't it? Shouldn't you set it to 50Hz here?

If you set to the same FPS, this means FPS and refresh rate is synchronised and you may get worse results if it so happens the image sampling is at the time when the light is in low/ off state. If the source is eg. CRT monitor, the banding will freeze. The idea is to eliminate by non-synchronization.

mohdya said:
If you set to the same FPS, this means FPS and refresh rate is synchronised and you may get worse results if it so happens the image sampling is at the time when the light is in low/ off state. If the source is eg. CRT monitor, the banding will freeze. The idea is to eliminate by non-synchronization.

FPS should sync with power frequency. 50Hz means 50 cycle per seconds. At 50fps, each frame will capture a full cycle. Otherwise at different point of the power cycle, the light temp is different.

Guys, went to courts n see the s100. The flickering is quite obvious as compared to the other range of canon camera. Others dun hv this flickering effect in recording mode.

Anyone can advice?

FPS should sync with power frequency. 50Hz means 50 cycle per seconds. At 50fps, each frame will capture a full cycle. Otherwise at different point of the power cycle, the light temp is different.

Not really, google the basics and you will find the answer. In general, in countries with 50Hz, you shoot at 25fps as the base frame rate for synch sound. 60Hz countries use 24fps. I've tried this and it works.

It should not be like this right? Other canon cameras are ok when I tested at the shop. Guess wait a bit first..

mohdya said:
Not really, google the basics and you will find the answer. In general, in countries with 50Hz, you shoot at 25fps as the base frame rate for synch sound. 60Hz countries use 24fps. I've tried this and it works.

At 25fps, each frame captured 2 cycles. You are still in sync with power source. Contradict your earlier post to make them not in sync.

Why not you google and show us what you find?

Last edited:
I tested mine, flickers with all sorts of shuttle speed under study light. The faster the shuttle speed the faster the flikering. Its like many black bands going up the screen. I remember my friend's G9 had the same problem too

Thanks all for the helpful replies, especially to Shuttercount and Fantasy747 for confirming that I'm not the only one here experiencing this problem.

Given the banding appearance of the flicker which occurs only under artificial lighting, The problem probably has something to do with frame rates versus electricity frequency rate. It's however difficult to pinpoint the source as the flickering occurs at all the frame rates that the camera is capable of, ie, both 24 and 30 fps. The flickering is also not always there. It can come on and off under the same lighting source. Also on my camera it seems to appear less often at the 24mm and 28mm settings on the lens (!?)

Anyway, it may be worth my while to just send it in to Canon to have it checked out.
Will still keep it as I really like its still image quality.

At 25fps, each frame captured 2 cycles. You are still in sync with power source. Contradict your earlier post to make them not in sync.

Why not you google and show us what you find?

When I mean in sync, I meant exact frame rate...pardon my bad phrasing

Multiples don't really apply as there's some band tolerance and multiplying this will usually result in greater delta between the two. For example, for 60Hz, if you run at 20 FPS, there's a high chance you will never be in-sync.

It's up to the folks here to decide what works for them. For me, I had my successes. If you don't, I don't expect you to agree with me.

Some basic info about refresh rate....Refresh rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If enough of you brought up this issue to Canon... the faster the firmware will come.

Do update us on this issue. Thxs