Ring Lights for Macro work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Feb 20, 2002
Perth Australia
Has any one got an first hand experience with either of the following products, in particular with a DSLR.

Digi Slave Ultra Led ring light

Samigon Halo Light FRL-1 Flourescent ring light.

I'm interested to hear from those people who have used them, what are the pro's and con's of the units?

Thanks,
Ian

Hi Ian, haven't talked to you for a long time already, wonder if you still remember me.

I would advise you not to get the LED flash. LED lights are white and all but thei colour spectrum they produce is simply not as good as a normal flash. They have very little red (or for that matter, any other colour), and a lot of blue in their light.

As for the flourescent option, I don't know what tube they use, but nothing seriously beats a normal flash for balance in the colour spectrum though I've heard of some flash having certain colour cast too.

Hope this helps.

Nerd said:
Hi Ian, haven't talked to you for a long time already, wonder if you still remember me.

I would advise you not to get the LED flash. LED lights are white and all but thei colour spectrum they produce is simply not as good as a normal flash. They have very little red (or for that matter, any other colour) ;p , and a lot of blue in their light.

As for the flourescent option, I don't know what tube they use, but nothing seriously beats a normal flash for balance in the colour spectrum though I've heard of some flash having certain colour cast too.

Hope this helps.

Hi Nerd,

Yep long time no see or hear from you.

Nope your answer doesn't help ;) as I've got a couple of Nikon ring flashes already. CT conversion is never a problem if you have a full set of Wrattens and a CT meter.

Uh, I don't think the LED option will be very bright either. Can try the flourscent one tho. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.