Ring flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think $4500 is about right, that is if you are getting the power pack and the ring flash. If it is just for the ring flash, it is a little expensive.

Elinchrom, Bowens, Profoto all have ring flashes. Personally, I prefer the Profotos.

rent one to try out before you invest in something so substantial in cost...

ok its been a slow day at work = who would rent this at how much and what kinda of deposit ? Last I heard commercial studios who have these may rent but only to people they know will not screw it up. Definitely not to some hobbiest who thinks u can motor drive shoot with a studio flash because some "documentary" showed some person doing it. Heard this gem for some one who instructs studio lighting.

In classical portraiture work a ring flash is seldom used. In the so call ad vangarde or fashion or music artist work this is a gimick used to try to pump some life into medicore work by too many wanna to bes however inthe hands one some one who can make people pop, swing, sing and dance with any other lighting this comes as another way of adding an extra dimension. Too many clients especially in the music industry see this and think hey the picture rocks but if you seen the effect , and look past it to what the content is - some times its still the same sad unexciting half past six work because some photogs are big on concepts but not so big on ability to produce good basic pictures. So what you end up seeing is at best something with potential but missing some bits to make it shine.There is an el cheapo way - think of the round flouresence lights, the color casts adds an additional sense of unreal but you still need to do everything else to make the picture work. In case you need the brand more than anything else then you need to spend money to look good.

Err.. That is very chiam leh.. anyone can convert it to simple english???

Am very interested to understand what a ring flash can be used for.

yes you can, can just buy a 32w fluorescent ring tune and make your own ring light.

en_b__231.gif

good idea. any engineers here who can make devise for it to use battery?
else it would be confined to studio use only.

Err.. That is very chiam leh.. anyone can convert it to simple english???

Am very interested to understand what a ring flash can be used for.

ring flash is used in fashion photography mainly to create those shadowless portraits, and nice roundflash catchlights in the eyes.

of course, you can use it in other ways which i have in mind but just couldnt get my hands on one.

honestly, i really didnt know this thingy is soooooo expensive.:bsmilie:

Girls can do anything...

(I'm not going to try it)

i dont have this kind of patience and perserverance.:bsmilie:

i rather spend abit more and get it off rack.:bsmilie:

good idea. any engineers here who can make devise for it to use battery?
else it would be confined to studio use only.

There is already a smaller version of this that runs on 12V. Those that ppl put inside their car.. cost ard $15 bucks I think. Just find a 12V motocycle battery + switch and viola you have the cheapest ring light. Only conceptual... have not try out yet.

i wonder which is cheaper.this....
1185.JPG

or the bowens.

if it is just the circular catchlights you want then get a macro ring flash and use together with studio lights

if it is just the circular catchlights you want then get a macro ring flash and use together with studio lights

prob is i want to use it outdoors.

macro ring flash nikon have or not?i dont want the r1c1

the nikon one looks a bit bluffy.
2 tubes oni.:dunno:
SB series...i wonder still in sale or not.

no to sigma.:sticktong

the problem with these 2 is that you will NOT get a full ring
the twin tubes is for A:B ratio flash intensity

you will need to look for a full ring version and use it in Manual mode

the problem with these 2 is that you will NOT get a full ring
the twin tubes is for A:B ratio flash intensity

you will need to look for a full ring version and use it in Manual mode

i want full ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.